“Lovely architecture” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orpheum Theater

Orpheum Theater
1 Hamilton Place, Boston, MA 02108 (Downtown)
617-679-0810
Needham, Massachusetts
24 attraction reviews
“Lovely architecture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I attended a concert here recently and was impressed by the Theater's ornate design and stately interiors. Definitely worth coming a few minutes early to just gaze around at the ceilings and cornices.

Conveniently located just a couple of blocks from the State House and Boston Common, as well as from Park Street station on the red and Green lines. Lots of dining options nearby (and an Italian restaurant just next door).

Maine
13 attraction reviews
“Great show, old but 'charming' look to venue, terrible ushers...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Seating wise, there really is not a bad seat in the house. I sat in the lower level, 2nd to last row, and had a great view of the stage. I assume the upper level has the same but did not look. Now for the actual seating itself...the theater is old and cramped. The seats really need to be replaced. They are dirty and falling apart, not entirely comfortable, and you are extremely close to your neighbor. Bathrooms could use a little housekeeping attention but weren't too bad. The ushers...oh they were awful. Yelling at people, being rude and sassing people, blinding people with their insanely bright LED flashlights. Our usher literally looked like he was taken from his pan-handling position on the nearest corner and brought in at the last minute. I don't know if the venue hires these people or if the performing act has any say in it but they definitely put a damper on the experience for us.

Quincy, Massachusetts
38 attraction reviews
“Old & Seedy, but guess what...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

This venue is old and seedy (probably historic) but guess what? It's small, and it's located in the heart of the city, so if a show you want to see is playin here count yourself lucky!!

I have seen shows at the garden where the acoustics are horrible, and your miles away from the stage- at the orpheam any seat is a good one... Can't beat the acoustics.

Yea the seats r probably covere in bear and the ceiling maybe falling down, but hey that's how we do, in beantown ;)

Visited November 2012
Somerville, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
“Perfect size venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Orpheum is a perfect size. Good sound, can see well, and it is big enough to draw big acts. It is also a block from the Red Line stop at Park St. This is a reliable place to go for music. I have never been disappointed.

Visited November 2012
NH
“Very Disappointing Venue”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My daughter and I went to the Orpheum to see Celtic Thunder. The Orpheum was a terrible venue for this show, which is very classy and sharp, not a rock concert. Celtic Thunder did the best they could with the venue, but frankly I found it disgusting. The seats were tightly packed together. The acoustics, at least for this show, seemed very hard to manage to get the balance of vocal and instrumental OK, especially for us back under the balcony. A number of the ushers helping folks out were downright rude. The concessions area was tiny. The bathroom was too small. Paint is peeling off of the woodwork. I also got a glimpse of the lack of housekeeping when we and the ladies in front of us were searching for a lost bracelet on the floor. Totally gross. And, on top of that, the seats aren't set so that you are able to easily look between two people to watch the show (maybe at rock concerts that isn't an issue). I spent the show with my neck angled to the right, and was grateful that I did not have someone in the bordering seat. Access in and out of the back section of the main level is narrow and involves stairs (it is not handicapped friendly). Finally, I think that Celtic Thunder was not able to put out their full staging because of the small size of the stage and possibly lack of access -- when we were leaving they were bringing in ramps right through the front door! I hope I never go there again.