“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Scullers Jazz Club

Scullers Jazz Club
400 Soldiers Field Rd., in the Double Tree Guest Suites, Boston, MA 02139 (Allston / Brighton)
617-783-0090
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #99 of 420 things to do in Boston
Needham, Massachusetts
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Cold air blowing from ceiling vents was prompting patrons to put on their coats.
Music set was barely an hour long.
Swipe card provided to exit parking garage did not work (this happened to at least 3 cars).
Pressing button for assistance brought none.

Visited January 2012

Boston
4 attraction reviews
“Intimate, classy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Perfect for a show - very intimate little tables, small room and good service.

Visited January 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“"FORGET ABOUT IT"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I came to Boston specifically to see a particular performance. Having purchased tickets way in advance, I thought I'd get a good seat. Well, I didn't actually "see" anything except the backs of heads. In addition, when I called the hotel about the advertised "jazz overnighter package," they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Hailing from a city with a great local jazz, and good venues, and lots of artists on tour, I will NEVER come to this club again!

Visited October 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Do not make reservations for the Green Room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I recently made a reservation over the phone for the Green Room prior to attending a show at Scullers. UI was tole the tickets for the show were nonrefundable, but I wouldn't be cgared for dinner until after the meal. I had to cancel the dinner reservation in advance of the show. Nonetheless they charged my Credit card for the cost of two dinners!

Visited March 2011
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Great lineup but short on value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Sculler's attracts many well-known and established artists in several flavors of jazz. If you are a fan of jazz music and live near or are visiting Boston, you certainly should catch a show here. Your experience will be nice, but aside from the music, it'll be basic.

While there's nothing wrong with the talent, the atmosphere is unimpressive: it's a hotel jazz bar with professional, true musicians instead of the cheesy local weekend lounge act that barely goes beyond "Moondance." The sound quality is good. If you have dinner in the Green Room with the package they offer, you will have "preferred seating" which is close to the stage. No matter where you sit, you'll be cramped with other folks at a small round table if the place is full. It's all one level, in what is basically a small hotel ballroom with a run of the mill hotel carpet, your common hotel ceiling, conference room chairs and a stage.

The Green Room is an above average hotel restaurant. I have not stayed at the Doubletree. The hotel/club is right on the Charles River but not really near anything. It is easy to drive to but several blocks to the "T" and well removed from the pedestrian activity of Back Bay, Harvard Square or downtown. Not much of a walkable neighborhood around there, just cars whipping by along the river.

Despite the good music, Sculler's does not deliver the best dollar-for-dollar value. The club typically has two seatings - and you'll be rushed out if you go to the first. Expect a 70-minute or so set length. For many folks, that's fine, but I'd rather get my money's worth at a place where I can linger and hear more music, and where I will feel like I have more space that belongs to me and whoever I'm with. The room made me feel more like I was there for a convention seminar than a concert. If it weren't for the music, it wouldn't be special at all. Have you ever been wowed by a business hotel's bar, anyway?

Still, it is worth a visit at some point. You could always continue your jazz evening at Wally's Cafe on Mass Ave in the South End...mostly locals & students playing but never a cover.