“Nice people, family atmosphere in lobby. Excellent value.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 140

You added Hotel 140 to your Saves list
Hotel 140
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 Clarendon Street, Back Bay, Boston, MA 02116 (Back Bay)   |
Ranked #48 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Goettingen, Germany
“Nice people, family atmosphere in lobby. Excellent value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed 4 days for businnes. The entire staff was very kind and extremely helpful. The rooms are small but functional and clean. The rooms to the back are quiet and those to the front not too noisy. Individual heating/ air conditioning worked well. The room was equipped with an iron and ironing board, coffee maker, fridge, alarm clock. The internet was free and worked very well (both, WLAN and LAN available; a cable for LAN is in the room). The price is very reasonable for the location so that this is an excellent value. We had booked through the Hotel's website. There is free coffee in the lobby. A Dunkin' Donuts is literally next door.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in the beginning of November in a room on the 6th floor facing Clarendon Street.

The room was very clean, although it didn't have a desk. The bathroom was huge, at least by my standards, and also very clean. The service was very friendly, and the bed was made everyday.

While I agree the room is not large, it is certainly big enough to stay in for the night quite comfortably. My room also had free wi-fi, ironing board/iron, refrigerator, tv, hairdryer, and great selection of pillows (both for propping and sleeping).

My only complaint is that the windows are not well insulated, so it let in cold air, almost like a breeze, most of the time. After a night I realized I did not have the room thermostat on, so that helped, although the amount of heat loss through the windows made it quite a battle to stay toasty. The windows also let in a lot of the street noise.

However, for the price I paid ($129/night) I am not complaining. It is in a great area and only a couple blocks away from my conference. I would be surprised to find a comparable hotel in the area at that price with the overall quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the windows are not facing a busy street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My friend and I spent a week in Hotel 140 in October. We had a "superior" room, which I think refers mainly to the overall space. The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was spacious, and it was all kept spotlessly clean. The full size fridge was handy, and there were masses of toiletries and towels available. The furniture was a bit basic and student-like, but there was plenty of storage space. All the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and the location is ideal for exploring Boston, being very close to two different T line stations and within walking distance of the theatre area and many restaurants. The only thing we felt the hotel lacked was somewhere comfortable for just sitting around relaxing, but that probably wouldn't be a problem if you're only there for a couple of nights. We were sorry to find the cafe had closed down, but Rebecca's Cafe just a few minutes up Clarendon St was a great place for breakfast. And it was fun visiting the theatre on the 2nd floor one evening and a great performance of the Mikado. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it as good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

It was my first time at Boston, so a friend recommend Hotel 140. Honestly, it was a great experiencie. The location is perfect, i just walked around the city. The hotel is very clean and rooms are very comfortable. Also, their staff is extremmly kind, nice, and friendly! Personally, I would like to Thank You Very Much to Ms. Katerine who was an excellent hostess. She not only provide me a great service, she also was thoughful and always attentive. Please, ask for her or Jennifer! I will definitely stay there again & again. I recommended to my friends! Outstanding Service! :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mantua, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We spent a night at Hotel140 and were very happy.The place was clean,our room was over-looking the John Hancock tower and had an old fireplace (non-working) in the room.Nancy at the check-in desk made our dinner reservations and helped with directions to the Prudential Center.All of the staff we came in contact with were more than happy to help us.Place was quiet,and in a great location for sight-seeing.We would return,and the fact that it is much more reasonable than alot of Boston hotels doesn't hurt!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I loved my recent stay at Hotel 140 and will definitely stay there again when I am back in Boston! I had a brief trip for business but I wanted a nice, unique hotel in a great location. Hotel 140 met both of these requirements. The hotel is literally steps away from the Back Bay station and there are restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. The building is historic - YWCA Headquarters built in the 1920's - and has a lot of charm. The best way to describe my room was quaint. I reserved a king bed, which was not available at check in, but the room they gave me with two double beds was small, but good. The staff were very friendly and accommodating - calling me by name during every interaction.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boston-Hotel140, Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your lovely comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your room with two beds and that you were able to capitalize on our great location while visiting Boston for you business trip.

Warm Regards,
Hotel 140
Ellensburg, Wa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Warning: I canceled an October reservation for Hotel 140 in January and misplaced proof of same, then received an e-mail before starting our October trip saying they were looking forward to our visit! I called to cancel again and received e-mail confirmation. Upon returning from our trip I discovered an e-mail saying we had been a no-show and our credit card had been charged for one nights' stay. It took several e-mails and phone calls to clear this up. Be sure to keep any cancelation proof!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel 140? Share your experiences!