“The lobster roll – one of the best things I’ve ever eaten” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Neptune Oyster

Neptune Oyster
63 Salem St, Ste 1, Boston, MA 02113-2289 (North End)
617-742-3474
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Reading
“The lobster roll – one of the best things I’ve ever eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The most fantastic lobster roll – one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. I had it hot with butter (it can be served cold with mayo). We sat at the bar – which seems quite popular in Boston. My other half had the special which was a salmon. Beautifully decorated with little white and blue tiles. The best meal we had in Boston.

Visited November 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
“Food great but place is cramped and very expensive.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We got here about 2 minutes after they opened for lunch on a frigid Saturday (i.e. about 11:32 AM). There was already a line and we just managed to get the last two seats that weren't at the bar -- but had to share with a group of strangers. All the tables are pushed together, so it's really like one long communal table. Our seats were about 4 feet from the door, so cold air kept blasting in (I kept my down parka on all thru lunch). The place was completely full by 11:45. The place is very attractive, but very small; I only counted about 40 diners, about 12 of whom were seated at the bar. We had two Diet Cokes and two lunch entrees (not the most expensive ones on the menu), with a small side of sourdough bread, which I had to ask for -- not sure if they charged for it or not. The entrees were delicious but modestly sized. Total check was $70 plus tip! I guess if you're a huge oyster nut, have money to spend and can come here at an off-peak time, you might like this place. But we think there's much better value elsewhere.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, Alabama
“Our favorite Boston Oyster Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

This is the real Boston authentic Boston Oyster Bar. It is small and located 2 blocks from the ocean in little Italy. A great place to walk around while you are waiting for a seat since they do not take reservations. It is a very small bar and waiting is not unusual. But you will be given a beeper while you enjoy Little Italy. The food is sublime.
We usually have fresh oysters, clam chowder, and the lobster roll.
The service is friendly and you will fell like you have really encountered
a Bostonian family experience. The cod dishes are fresh and perfectly cooked. You will really feel like you have visited a different culture.

Visited December 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
“Genuine and just very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Small, or rather right sized, place to go if you are interested in really good seaood and fantastic oysters. Here is place where service is okey, table settings minimal and menu is "easy to grasp" but you get really good food of highest quality and the prices are very OK. It might be an annusannce for some that table reservation is not possible but I actually see that as positive as the guests at the restaurant have have waited patiently, showing they are there because the place and the food is worth it. I was one of them tonight and I will be back. Just a good place!

Visited December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't Believe the Hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I was so looking forward to eating here and couldn't wait to get in after reading all the rave reviews. After a $95 lunch (two chowders, 2 lobster rolls and a Guinness) I was a hungry and disappointed. I love lobster rolls and know what a great roll should taste like. This place is not it. The hot lobster roll I had was rubbery and the meat tasted old. It was a hot buttery mess on top of a bun that was falling apart. The lobster was so chewy, my mom couldn't even finish her roll and left half on her plate.

The clam chowder was just okay. It was extremely salty, almost like too much sherry (don't know if they use that but it tasted like it). Once again there's better places in Boston to get chowder.

Service was great though. Too bad the food couldn't match the service. If you're claustrophobic or antisocial, don't even think of going here. You're pretty much elbow to elbow with other patrons in the restaurant.

I wish I could say I had the same experience as other people. But this is a skip it. I noticed a lot of tourists here so maybe they're not serving quality food because they know half their customer are not repeat customers and won't be back.

If you really, really want to eat here, go right when they open and put your name in. I did that and only had an hour wait.

Visited October 2013