“Exquisite oysters” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Neptune Oyster

Neptune Oyster
63 Salem St, Ste 1, Boston, MA 02113-2289 (North End)
617-742-3474
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: North End
“Exquisite oysters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The wait is absolutely worth the while - great experience. This tiny restaurant is filled with character and a warm atmosphere, not to mention fresh seafood. We tried all the local and new england oysters including clams, all from the raw bar and they were exquisite.

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Simply Satisfying”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is the best oyster bar hands down. Everything is fresh, prepared to order and fabulous. My personal favorite, the hot lobster roll. I dream of this place when I am away from Boston. Trick is it is small and busy, get your name on the list, they will call you on your cell and take a leisurely walking tour of the old north end of Boston while waiting for your table. You will not be disappointed!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“BEST LOBSTER ROLL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I visited Boston for the first time this past weekend, and on our last day we ventured into Neptune Oyster after exploring the North End area. The wait time was about an hour at 4 pm and we ended up getting two seats by the bar which I actually preferred.

This spot most certainly deserves a 5/5. I am not a seafood expert, but the oysters were simply outstanding. Divine freshness. You can order different types depending on what type of finish taste you prefer, but I tried the fruity and citrusy finish ones and they were incredible.

We also got two appetizers: the hamachi crudo and the tuna tartare with the avocado spread. The prices are a bit high for appetizers ($16) but you are paying for the freshness and quality of the fish. The little chips on top of the hamachi were a nice touch, and the avocado was the perfect companion to that fresh tuna on a crostini. I highly recommend trying them.

Now, the lobster roll IS all the rave ($25). There is a reason this place has a 4.5 average even after 1000 reviews and more. If you come to Neptune Oyster even once in your life, this is the one dish that one must get. We got the hot roll with butter, and it was one of the best things I have ever eaten period. The lobster just melted in your mouth, and the touch of sweetness from the brioche bun just took it to a whole other level. The french fries were also excellent. I cannot wait to come back to Neptune Oyster and order myself another lobster roll. Definitely a good reason to come back to Boston for.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Peoria, Arizona
“Boston Strong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My buddy and I from Phoenix were in Boston on business and had a day to wander the streets looking for Guinness and fresh seafood. We had stopped at a local Italian/American pub for a bloody mary and stumbled upon the Neptune just as it was opening at 11:00. There was already a line to get in! My friend had a plate of mixed oysters on the half shell and I had a lobster roll. WOW. The lobster melted in my mouth and the young lady who waited on us patiently explained all the intricacies of oysters....where they were from, what flavors we might expect, etc., as if they were fine varietal wines. Fantastic food, which we washed down with a couple of beautifully rich and creamy Stouts. A wonderful experience with wonderful service. I would strongly recommend this place to anyone visiting the beautiful city of Boston....just get there early or expect a wait. Our hostess sugested that people arriving late just put their name on the list and then go out and enjoy the neighborhood until a spot is available. Trust me it would be more than worth the wait!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ipswich, Massachusetts
“Best Oyster Bar in America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

For oyster fanatics,the very best oysters come from the North Atlantic and are served on the half shell. Southern oysters are larger, softer in texture and better when cooked. West Coast oysters have a "cucumber" taste - that's fine, but if I want cucumber taste, I buy a cucumber.

Oysters from north of Long Island are briny and have a firm texture from the colder water. Cotuits and Wellfleets from Cape Cod are personal favorites. Sadly, most restaurants do not train their staff in how to open and serve oysters. Some restaurants open the oysters well before they are ordered, so they arrive at the table dried out. Some shuckers spill out the natural liquor, and some even rinse the oyster after opening.

Having searched for the perfect oyster bar for some three decades in all parts of the U.S., I believe that the very best is Neptune Oyster in the North End of Boston. Neptune's oysters are always fresh. There is a wide selection, and most importantly, the oysters are skillfully opened to preserve the liquor, and they are properly served on shaved ice. Excellent oysters benefit from a squeeze of lemon, but they do not need sauce. New Englanders upend the oyster directly from the shell.

Neptune oyster is not cheap, but their oysters are well worth the price if you are searching for very best. The restaurant is small, and there is normally a wait.

If you cannot get a table, you might also try one of the other excellent oyster restaurants in Boston: Legal Sea Foods, B & G, Walrus and Carpenter and the Island Creek Oyster Bar.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Neptune Oyster? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Neptune Oyster, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.