“OMG! I wish I'd known sooner!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Neptune Oyster

Neptune Oyster
63 Salem St, Ste 1, Boston, MA 02113-2289 (North End)
617-742-3474
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: North End
Los Angeles, California
“OMG! I wish I'd known sooner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

So I was in Boston for a week with a bunch of teachers getting in deep for colonial history and didn't get around to this restaurant until my last day. I am filled with regret. I had two glasses of a very nice Muscadet, 10 oysters and the daily special, a striper bass served on baby vegetables with an orange and crab topping and corn puree -- spent $88 plus tip and it was worth every penny. The best meal of a trip filled with good fish and great oysters. Don't think, however, that you're going to check in with more than two people. This place takes no reservations and you get a table when one opens up, but I eat alone quite often, being a solo traveler, and I suppose my bank account is grateful I didn't find this jewel earlier in my stay.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
woodstock, ny
“Not sure worth 11/2 hour wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Dont get me wrong, the lobster rolls are really good. I had warm one and bf had cold one. Both were really good. I preferred the warm with butter and he preferred the cold lobster salad one. Gotta say, the fries are awesome. Best part for me. Fried clams were okay and chilled crab was okay. Factor in 11/2 hour wait to get in, then 10 minute wait to get menu, and sitting in close quarters with little AC on pretty warm day. Oh yea and not super friendly service........equals 3 stars from me. Gotta be an easier way.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Burlington, Canada
“Lucked in.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Neptune Oyster was considered a must do with all the raving reviews from everywhere. First time in the north end we saw long lineups and had no desire to wait. Stopped there at lunchtime while walking the Freedom Trail. We saw a lineup and thought we'd have to give it a pass but decided to see how long. Well, we lucked out - it hadn't yet opened and after parking friend at back of line I went to check out the front and the doors just opened. We got a fabulous seat at the bar facing the windows and watched the server shuck the oysters and prepare the platters.

Ordered wine, oysters and steamed clams. The oysters were delicious and oh so fresh, we could see the freshness and beauty of the bivalves as we watched the shucker prepare the orders. My steamed clams were delicious but the broth was way too salty so I left it behind.

This place filled up very quickly. I looked at other people's food and everything looks delicious, will be back next time in Boston.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Boston's Best Lobster Roll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Neptune's specialty is oysters--and they are delicious--but I would strongly recommend a special trip there for their lobster roll. At $27, it's pricey, but definitely worth the money. You get a generous portion of lobster, as you should at that price, with an excellent side order of fries. The place is cramped and crowded, but in a charming sort of way. Also a great place for any oyster snob--at least a dozen different varieties are on the menu each day. Be prepared to wait for a table, but singles can usually find a seat at the bar.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Greatness.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

First, this is a really small place. Second, it is expensive. Third, eat there if you like oysters and seafood. I hear the wait there can get pretty bad. We got on the list, and went across the street for drinks instead of waiting on the street for our table. We had the sampler of different raw oysters, which was fun and different.

Visited August 2012

Been to Neptune Oyster? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Neptune Oyster, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.