“Long wait but it's worth it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Neptune Oyster

Neptune Oyster
63 Salem St, Ste 1, Boston, MA 02113-2289 (North End)
617-742-3474
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
New York
“Long wait but it's worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

As other posters have metioned, you will have to wait to get a table no matter wheh you go. However, the restaurant is very helpful as they take your cell number and give you a ten minute warning to get back to the restaurant. So, plan to walk around the area.

My party had to wait two hours but, as I said, we were prepared. And, they were right on time with their guesstimate as to when they would call us with our table ready. The place is small so be prepared for that.

The food was well worth it, though. One member of my party told the waiter that it was the best sea bass that she had ever had. Everyone cleaned their plate and would return again...even with the long wait time.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
“You MUST aget here early or be prepared for a long wait..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Thanks to all the TA reviewers who suggested this place when I asked as this was The BEST lobster roll I ever had ( had the hot one with butter). The place is a small storefront and I was in line 20 minutes before it opened and had about 12 people in front of me at that point. Whenr they opened the tables werea ll immediately taken ( I went to the bars) and placed my order. Most everyone ordered the hot lobster roll although the menu was full of fresh seafood.

A must viisit!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Get here early...it's worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I ate at Neptune Oyster on July 17. Although I arrived at 5:30pm, there was already a group of people waiting to get in. Fortunately, there was one seat open at the Oyster Bar, otherwise, I probably would have had to wait 30-60 minutes. The place is tiny, with only about 5-6 tables and a dozen Bar seats. But it is just so worth it. Immediately, I was presented with their oyster menu, which was a printed paper with the names of all of their oysters (about a dozen or so). With pencil at hand, just like I was ordering sushi (which, essentially I was), I wrote how many of each one I wanted and handed it to the roaming waitress behind the bar. I could watch the person shucking oysters just down from me (you could watch from the street, also), and pretty soon I had my dozen oysters. Oh, yeah, on the menu it tells you how they taste down to the finish. This is serious oyster territory and I was happy to be in it. While I was eating them, I asked my server for some clam chowder, which came with plenty of clams, plenty of little potatoes, and a creamy, but not too thick, base. Different, and excellent. While I was eating that, I felt that I couldn't leave without having a cold lobster roll (you could get a hot one, too). Now that was the icing on the cake. I left knowing that I had hit the trifecta, a perfect evening of solo dining of all of my favorite seafoods in one place at one time. I would highly recommend Neptune Oyster if you want authentic seafood in a no nonsense, neighborhood atmosphere. I can't wait to come back to Boston and indulge once again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Carolina
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My wife and I dropped in for lunch at 12:30 on a Tuesday expecting to wait at least an hour after reading other reviews. However, the huge crowd we were expecting was not there and we were seated right away. She ordered the crab salad and I got the hot lobster roll. Both were absolutely the best we had in Boston, or anywhere on our entire trip. Nothing but big chunks of lobster on a warm bun-makes me want another one as I write. A few dollars more than other places but well worth the price.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“A Boston must-visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We wanted to eat at Neptune Oyster because of all the good press it received. Apparently, Neptune has *the* best oyster shuckers in the city...and the food is good, too.

We went on a Sunday evening, expecting to see a line-up outside the restaurant as we noticed with other restaurants in the North End. There were a few people, but nothing outrageous. It turns out that staff tell you how long (approximately) the wait is, then take your name and phone number! You are free to go to for a stroll or another place for drinks instead of waiting in a cramped restaurant. They will call you 10 to 15 minutes before they expect your table to be ready. This is a practice that all restaurants should adopt.

The service: At first, it seems that the servers are all business -- a small smile here and there, polite-yet-direct order taking, etc.; however, after asking about the menu and the restaurant, the server warmed up. At the end of our dinner, both our server and the other server/hostess were chatting us up. Our server told us to avoid Mike's Pastry (a popular confectioner in the North End) and go to another, better place for dessert.

The food: Wow. The wellfleet oysters were perfect and beautifully presented. Whatever seafood you've had elsewhere in Boston, forget it. Neptune really does deserve the title of "Best Lobster Roll in Town." It was overflowing with lobster meat and deliciously buttery. Some might find it has too much butter, but that's all subjective. The bun was -- what seemed like -- a homemade toasted roll. The scallops were perfectly cooked and were laid on a delicious pork hash.

Overall, just go to this place. If it means waiting for 90 minutes (like we did), it is worth the wait.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere