“Excellent afternoon tea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The French Room at Taj Boston

The French Room at Taj Boston
15 Arlington Street, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02116 (Beacon Hill)
617.536.5700
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Cross street: Newbury Street
Transit: Green Line - Arlington
Description: Taking Afternoon Tea in this elegant chandeliered and mirrored setting with opulently draped windows overlooking fashionable Newbury Street is a Boston tradition. A harpist plays and a sense of gracious conviviality prevails, while guests sip their tea amidst original paintings, sculptures, high-backed upholstered chairs and inviting sofas.
Manalapan
“Excellent afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We went to The French Room with friends and we all had the Taj Royale. The service was exemplary, the tea excellent and the food outstanding. For most of the time we were there, there was a solo violinist playing mostly classical music (e.g., Bach's sonatas and partitas). A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Visited November 2013

USA
“Alice in wonderland tea party”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

It was our third time for high tea and we are not so loving the Taj anymore. Pretty room but when scanning the space we noticed a number of lampshades that were obviously knocked off center. Oh dear, we just smiled to think that can happen to any of us when cleaning for company. As we were being seated, we noticed spilled cream from the creamer in the center of our cozy table. It was so obvious, it will certainly be addressed. But no, we had a nice tea and chat for 2 hrs with our waiter coming and going many times, placing and removing items near the spilled cream with no attempt to clean it up. Just weird.

Boston,MA
“Teddy Bear Tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

A treasured annual tradition for us and our grandchildren, the Teddy Bear Tea, has become disappointing. The beautifully decorated ballroom offered a great venue, but the food and the service were sadly lacking. Waitstaff were in attentive and very unorganized. Very poor service and quantity and quality of food were not worth the price that was charged.

NYC
“Would have been wonderful except...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We made a reservation long time ago and were surprised at the lack of order at check in. The French Room serves two seating. On the day we went, several groups were waiting to be seated about 5 minutes before the second seating. A woman came out and simply asked out loudly, 'Who is next in line?' Now several people were already there and some had reservations, some did not. This kind of abrupt interaction was surely not something I had expected from a top notch establishment. I thought I was at a CVS.

Once that was straightened out, we were shown to the worst table of the house (even though I glimpsed on the computer that we were not supposed to go there.) When I complained, she simply said, 'this is the only table available'. I was so upset I was about to leave. I voiced my complaint and finally a manager came out and gave us a better table by the window.

Even though the rest of the service was wonderful, this had really damped my spirit. I tried to look on the bright side- the tea selection was great, the violinist played in the background- although it would have been nicer had it been a quartet. The same woman came to take our order and as we just had lunch, I was not going to order four tea sets for two adults and two children. So we ordered two tea sets, and two drinks for the kids. The woman was rather rude and said that probably would not be enough. We stood our ground. Eventually other servers came, doted over our well behaved children, brought extra chocolate dipped strawberries. We could not even finish our two orders.

On a side note, we ordered the Taj tea and the Dutchess. My husband and daughter really liked the tea sandwiches. The pastries were perhaps a solid B (looked great, tasted okay). The scones were ok. Too dry in my opinion. The other servers were very nice and we did not feel rushed at any point.

Again, I understand this was probably a one off incident and one off problem with a staff member. I have no intention of getting her fired but was very close to writing a complaint letter to the management.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Christmas Tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Every year we dress up and head out to High Tea to celebrate the season and the Taj has always stood out. The tea selection, the champagne to start, the food - all some of the best as far as tea goes in Boston. The key however is the staff - always courteous and we never feel rushed. WIll always go back.

Visited December 2012