“Cheap prices, but long wait” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Galleria Umberto

Galleria Umberto
289 Hanover St, Boston, MA 02113-1810 (North End)
617-227-5709
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 2,815 restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Neighborhood: North End
Neighborhood: North End
Virginia
“Cheap prices, but long wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

As one other reviewer noted, this is a no frills restaurant. Serving sicilian slices (no toppings), paninis, pizettes, arancinis, and calzones. Nothing is made to order. The price is a bargain at $1.55 a slice, but is it worth a line out the door? It was noon on a Monday in June (we passed by many restaurants with no lines). No a/c just ceiling fans and it was warm inside.

Lots of regulars go here and lots of take out. I am glad I went for my first time at North End but I waited about 10-15 minutes or so for two slices and an arancini $3 (good but not something I would order again). I am rating the place very good for the value.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

95% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“Old School Pie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Only a cabbie would know:
After leaving Logan Airport and hungry, our cabbie took us to this location. I'm glad we got there just after 11:30am bc the line didn't take long to grow. The locals are there and this place takes you back in time when only the Food is what mattered, and that's what makes the pricing and taste so good. My son is very picky and loved the cheese pizza. I ordered the ham and salami calzone that melted in the mouth.
The happiest person was our cabbie that got 2 slices and a coke as an extra tip.

Visited June 2013
“Should have stuck with just pizza and paninis”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Should have stuck with pizza and paninis. They were excellent. Spinach in calzones tasted like ot was out of a can and aranchini was very bland and underseasoned

Tujunga, California
“the Basic Basic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

A restaurant could not possibly be any more basic than this place. Absolutley no frills. Go to the front counter and order your pizza...well, not exactly, that would be tell the counter man how many pieces you want because the only choice is cheese...but it is delicious! (As good as we had in Naples, Italy...the rest of Italy was not so good.) Take it to a table, eat it and leave.
Rustic, Basic, Charming...a must do in Boston.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Pizza in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have been going to Galleria Umberto for as long as I can remember. This is one of the few places in the North End where I can still order my food in Italian. The pizza is simple, only cheese, but it is delicious. The quality has slipped a bit on the arancini but they are still very good. The prices here cannot be beat. Be prepared to wait in a line that goes out the door, but it is well worth it.

• Visited May 2013