“Dinner OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hungry I

The Hungry I
71 1/2 Charles St, Boston, MA 02114-4608 (Beacon Hill)
(617) 227-3524
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hungry I is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,007 of 2,835 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Cross street: Mt. Vernon Street
Transit: Charles St Red Line is the closest; Arlington St on the green line is also walkable.
Providence, RI
“Dinner OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I like the Hungry I but I don't think it compares up there with Boston's best like Cleo, or L'Espalier, or other really top notch restaurants. However, one can't eat out at the five stars every night and hungry I is not a bad option for a four star place.

Visited December 2011

Scituate, Massachusetts
“So much fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Chatted with the owner who is very interesting and hospitable. The food is out of this world. Reservations are not a bad idea but not required. They are very laid back. Take your time and relax many shops in the area. People are all delightful Can't wait to visit qgain

Visited December 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Hard to believe this place is still in business”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Have eaten here maybe ten times over the last twenty years and just tried it again. It is still cute and cosy, rather than comfortable. The service, a single waiter who was also tending the bar, was terrible. Even though the place was far from full. The food was pretty bad, with the exception of the venison which was good. Heavy sauce that looked and tasted like it came out of a can, or maybe just a time-warp. They only had one kind of beer, mass produced swill, and a very limited wine by the glass option. Combine the poor service and awful food with really high prices and you get the picture. Note to self, write this place off!

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“I was looking for a special night out - what a disaster...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

So I decided to treat my wife to a nice dinner in this "upscale" restaurant. It was our anniversary so I wanted it to be special. I called the restaurant beforehand and asked a couple of questions. "can you hold the table if we are late", "where can I park", etc.
So far so good, the can hold the table if we're late, if we're early we can have a drink at the bar to get acclimated. You need to park? We have Valet parking just in front of the restaurant. "Great!". We get dressed up and head to the restaurant, upon arriving I tell the Valet guy. "Please do not leave the key inside the car, because the alarm locks the car". I have been to plenty of restaurants and hotels and it's a pretty easy and simple instruction.

Our table was ready when we arrived, not overly impressed with the restaurant (it's more like an old house modified to seem a restaurant). We place our order which includes a bottle of wine. Our entrees arrive and I hear someone signaling me....who do you think it was? You got it! The valet had left the key inside and now the key was locked inside the car. So I had to get up from the table and discuss the situation with the valet guy, the waiter and the manager. They ask me if I had the spare key on me? Of course not, its at home. How far do you live, we can drive you there so you can get the spare key? Really, so I leave my wife alone on our anniversary dinner for half an hour so you can drive me home? I don't think so! I suggest you can drive me home after dinner and I'll comeback tomorrow to pick it up. "No, we can't do that. They car is double parked in front of a hydrant" Great...

The manager says: "you don't have Triple A? You should they come in very handy", Well, I never forget my keys inside my car and always put gas in it, so why would I need Triple A? So their best idea is to call a Locksmith that will come and open the car for me.

Meanwhile, I'm not enjoying my dinner, so I ask them to call the locksmith and let me enjoy the evening with my wife.

We try to forget about the previous incident and try to focus on the evening. We had good food (not great) and we really enjoyed a much needed bottle of wine, we had a couple of desserts and some coffee and a very nice conversation.

We pay our bill ($320 is on the expensive side considering the wine was $75), we go to our car and meet the same valet who tells us our car was opened by the locksmith and our car will be right back. After waiting a few minutes we get in our car and leave.

It started to rain on the way home and for some reason I could feel water dripping on my shoulder. I pulled over to find out my car door was forced open with a crowbar and they had damaged the door jam. I called them immediately and their first answer was I had left the premises and failed to report it before I left, so we could no longer make a claim. After speaking to a manager I was able to get them to send me to a shop that they work with (I guess this happens often enough). After a week of driving a rental car and having to pick up my car, I still had to pay for the insurance of the rental because of course, "We don't cover that".... The Manager/Owner at the restaurant seemed careless and indifferent to all that we had to go through. He name is Peter and I promised him we wouldn't be back....

I guess in the future I'll just go to my local pizza parlor, spend $20 and have my car waxed while I wait for my calzone....so much for a fancy night out at the Hungry I, what a joke!!!

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Arroyo Grande, California
“Wonderful Patio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Dinner was excellent. Atmosphere could have only been improved if they had music on the patio. Duck your head walking into the restaurant, as the door is low! No complaints.

Visited October 2011