“Really Underwhelming” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Figs

Figs
67 Main St, Boston, MA 02129-3738 (Charlestown)
(617) 242-2229
Neighborhood: Charlestown
Boston, Massachusetts
“Really Underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Having a Groupon about to expire to redeem, the fiance and I made our way to Figs on a beautiful Saturday for some lunch. We arrived right around 12:30, parked up the street and walked into a deserted restaurant. There was only one table with 4 patrons and us. Standing there, in the front for a solid two minutes before a waitress finally appeared and greeted us. Shrugging it off, we hoped that their menu and the rest of the experience would help redeem their poor start. Unfortunately that was never the case...

Despite the restaurant being near empty and having only two tables to service, we were almost completely ignored. No apologies either, just a very careless staff member who barely seemed to care about the fact that we were here to eat. This was not to be expected from Todd English restaurant - we were kind of stunned to be honest but despite all of that we still powered through the frustrations and looked forward to some hopefully good pizza. That was lived short as our waitress screwed up our drink order and brought us regular root beers instead of diet ones. But that wasn't that big of a deal... We were mostly hungry.

I ordered the roasted beets salad ($10) which came sprinkled with some goat cheese. It was very average and the beets were inconsistently cooked. Some were very soft, other bites were hard and there was way too much dressing. My fiance's warm bacon and spinach salad ($8) was good but extremely salty. So far, not good...

We then decided to oder up some pizza since everyone on here seemed to claim that it was great - our waitress had told us earlier that we could pick two and they could make one pie with two different halves - we proceeded to do that and selected the fig and prosciutto one and the Bronx Bomber which is essentially a pepperoni one.

A little while later it arrived and the pizza's dough was chewy and not so great. As a matter of fact, the fig and prosciutto half was almost uneatable. Way, way, way too sweet from the balsamic and featuring absolutely no balance in the flavors and ingredients. There was barely any prosciutto but way too much fig. Just plain bad. The other half was much better but then again when is pepperoni pizza ever all that bad?

Honestly I feel betrayed by Yelp for this one. Everyone raved about it being some of the best (if not the best) pizza in Boston and I can honestly say that not only is the place sloppy, but the pizza isn't very good. I've had much better pizza at Santarpio's, Posto and Gran Gusto. Much, much better as a matter of fact. Better ingredients, better flavor balance and better value as well. This place doesn't just serve bad food, but they charge a lot as well.

Some part of me is going to regret not giving it one star but the fact remains that we still ate some of our food and it wasn't the worst experience of our life. However this was a major disappointment and add to the fact that the bathroom was absolutely disgusting and I can honestly say that I still never set food in there again. Todd English should be ashamed for having his name on that menu, and ashamed for running such a poor restaurant.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We decided to go to Figs as it was reviewed as worth a stop on a Boston app I downloaded. When we got there, they also had high chairs (which we needed with a 10 month old) so we went in. While we were there, the restaurant was pretty much empty. Only 2 other tables were full at the time and I think this is pretty rare. We did go at an off time, but with so many tourists, I figured it'd be busier. Anyway, the food was delish and the portions huge. There were no issues with loud music or anything like that. Our server was nice, not outstanding, but definitely not rude. I would absolutely go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Everything was really good, but slightly overpriced. We got the fig and proscuitto pizza, which was really good but not mindblowing. The appetizer bread is pretty amazing, though. I'll probably go back next time I'm in Boston!

• Visited September 2012
manchester
“Tasty and good value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I ordered a pizza, unaware that they are huge. I mean 4 person size! Delicious and mostly taken home in a doggy bag....

Visited September 2012
Dakar, Senegal
“Great, small, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We rolled in at 8pm on a Saturday night. After waiting 45 minutes we got one of the many two top tables. In the one room restaurant. The foccacia-like bread that is served is delicious (honestly a real highlight of the meal!)

We ordered the breaded and fried asparagus and spinach tomato soup. The soup is creamy and a bit bland ( for my taste). We ordered the Oliver pizza, served on a inverted cookie sheet. The sauce is delicious and the crust is nice and thin.

Service was nice, the only real gripe I had was that it was really loud inside...but that was to be expected for a one room, open kitchen resto. I'd go again!

• Visited September 2012