“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rino's Place

Rino's Place
258 Saratoga St, Boston, MA 02128-1616 (East Boston / Logan Airport)
617-567-7412
Neighborhood: East Boston / Logan Airport
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Nobody likes to wait and unless you have a party of six or more Rino’s does not take reservations. My advice to you is gather a group and make a reservation long in advance; the food is worth the wait. We arrived this afternoon at 2:45 for their 3:00 pm opening and we were not first in line. Portions are huge which ordinarily I do not like. In this case, however, I am thrilled to have leftovers of the Rino’s special over homemade pasta (spectacular!) for tomorrow and I am hopeful I can snag another bite of my husband’s leftover lobster ravioli, the best I have ever tasted. Parking is on street and it can get rather noisy depending on how boisterous your fellow diners are. The food overshadows all.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
Brooklyn, New York
“Incredibly, it's actually worth the wait...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We first saw Rino's a few years ago on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. Don't think Rino's Place actually fits any of the three Ds, but it's an old fashioned, casual, family style Italian restaurant. We have been to Boston before but for various reasons, never had the chance to go to Rino's until last night.
We'd come from NYC and were right in the midst of the huge manhunt for the Marathon bombing suspect! We found ourselves complying with the "shelter in place" request and many, many places of interest were closed.
By 4:30 my wife & I were pretty hungry and suffering from cabin fever. I called Rino's and they said they were indeed open for business since they're in a far from the manhunt area.
It's all true what people say about the difficulties involved with dinner at Rino's; the street parking is tough, the reservation policy doesn't allow you to call (you have to come in & add your name to a waitlist) and if you're not a large party (6 or more) they don't take a reservation but are happy to add you to the list. The saving grace is the very nice waiting area at the wine bar across the street.
We were VERY lucky to arrive early and didn't actually have to wait, but minutes after we were seated the place was filled and the remaining visitors were added to the list and asked to get comfortable across the street. Throughout the evening we saw many folks called and seated, so it's not as bad as it may sound.
OK, so why go through all this?
Rino's Place is definitely one of the best places we've eaten. The friendly hostess and wait staff welcome you and make you comfortable right away; you feel like you're having dinner at Aunt Connie's house.
My wife is a vegetarian so we sampled a variety of delicacies. Our bruschetta app made us wonder where Rino's found these incredible tomatoes. Seriously, I don't know how they transformed diced tomatoes & fresh basil drizzled with olive oil on a thin slice of Italian bread into a magical dish, but they did. We also had a 1/2 order of stuffed mushroom caps. Again, these weren't the usual herb breadcrumb filled variety. These were succulent little caps filled with sweet crabmeat and homemade Italian breadcrumbs and they melt in your mouth. Best I've ever had!
My wife ordered the eggplant parmigiana and I had the Rino's special.
When they bring your plate, you wonder if it's a mistake. The plates are like serving trays. They're absolutely enormous & I wonder who can possibly finish these?
Well, when you try the first bite you know you're gonna try. Or you're gonna take the rest to go, because it'll be another dinner tomorrow!
The eggplant was tender, thin-sliced, nicely battered and not mushy. The marinara sauce was delicious like only long-simmered homemade can be. The mozzarella was fresh and delicious.
My Rino's Special was a wonderful sampler of sweet shrimp, tender perfectly cooked chicken breast and melt in your mouth veal cutlets. I asked for the homemade pasta and chose fusilli. The whole dish is dressed in a brandy cream sauce that's amazingly light and flavorful, not the usual heavy cream and garlic.
We literally only finished 1/2 of our entrees and the gals were happy to box everything up for us. Though they do offer deserts, I can't imagine anyone having a desire for one. None of the diners in the packed restaurant last night did.
We ended with an espresso for me (perfect crema on top) and when my wife asked for regular coffee the waitress said she'd put on a fresh pot if we wouldn't mind waiting just a few minutes.
We were never rushed despite the many folks waiting for tables. We were made to feel like the whole staff were devoted to making our meal the best possible.
I sincerely told the gals that it was worth our 4hr. drive from NYC to visit Rino's Place and I must say if you're in Boston, do not miss this place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Started off on the wrong foot, left a bad taste in my mouth”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

After hearing so many raves about this place i was so excited we finally made it there lat night! As I walked into the half empty restaurant at 5:15 I thought "great, no wait". I waited for the hostess to greet me and she stood there and ignored me for a minute, it's a cramped area so someone was trying to get in the door so I moved, smiled and let him in. She then asks him "how many?" What!! Then he says he wants a table on the perimeter and will wait for one. Finally she turns to me, I tell her 2 and then she says we cn have a center table and then says, actually you can't have it. I ask how long the wait was and she said you have one party ahead of you. I said you mean the guy that came in behind me, "yes, he's really nice and lives down the street". I get taking care of your regulars but at least be discreet about it, it was the rudest interaction I have experienced. We should have left based on that but at that point didn't feel like trying to figure out somewhere else. After a 45 minute wait across the street where the waitress was really nice and the shrimp bruschetta delicious, we headed over to the restaurant. Our waitress was accommodating but not great. Breaded mozzarella was horrible, watery sauce and the pesto killed it. The lobster ravioli was great, full of lobster however, again watery sauce would have liked it creamier and it was $28.
Overall, not worth it for he service and price, Giacomo's remains our number one!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Willemstad, Curacao
“Don't be fooled”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Food and service were not even close to what is said. Who dive they give the envelope of cash to to deserve what unknowing people say about this place. Have a half hour? I'll invite you upstairs to my kitchen and I can serve you food and drink twice as good and make you smile while doing it.
This place is the oposite of any of that.
Slow as I don't know what. The bar across the street is not a real bar. It's slow and rude. The service at the restaurant was worse believe it or not. The food. I already spoke on that, but seems as though this guy has his army so I'll say it again. Don't by all means don't go.
Kelly's, in eastie or go to any, I mean any of the restaurants in Winthrop Italian, or not and you'll do much better

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, MN
“Huge Flavor and Portions!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We've been trying to get to Rino's Place over the past several years on our visits to Boston and we never quite made it. This time we got there and it was worth the wait.

Rino's Place was featured on the Food Network several years ago and it really lives up to it's reputation of amazing food. The restaurant is located in a small neighborhood of East Boston, fairly close to Logan Airport. You check in at Rino's, get your name on the list and you are invited to head across the street to their bar for a beverage and nice appetizers.

Rino's itself is fairly compact and the wait is worth it. A nice seleciton of fresh made pastas and meat entrees are available. We ordered 4 pastas and all were delicious. Note - the portions were HUGE! I don't believe any of us were able to eat more than 1/3 of our portion. Needless to say, but no room for dessert.

I would highly recommend Rino's and the years of waiting were totally worth it. Staff was courteous, fun and helpful. I can't wait for my next chance to visit!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Rino's Place? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Rino's Place, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.