“New to Boston, best part of the trip!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Al Dente

Al Dente
109 Salem St, Boston, MA 02113 (North End)
(617) 523-0990
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Dente is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 2,831 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Baltimore, Maryland
“New to Boston, best part of the trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Let me start out by saying it was 90 degrees out and Al dente had just lost its A/C. The place was hot but the wait staff made you feel at home. Andrea was great and even Chris the water filler/ food wrapper was awesome.then came our food cannoli ... Lasagna... One of the best meals I've ever had! The food was rich and not runny the sauces were great and full of flavor overall it was worth the heat. There was a line outside at 9:00pm so clearly we weren't the only ones who loved this place. I'm not one to rave but the place was great! Good food good people good portions, overall A+! The cream limoncello shots at the end were also a nice touch.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Savannah, Georgia
“Best Italian food I've ever eaten!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I'm Italian so it's difficult to please me with Italian food but Al Dente in Boston sure satisfied me! Everything we ordered was the best Italian food I've ever eaten in a restaurant. For appetizers we ordered bruschetta and lobster ravioli. The bruschetta was made with fresh basil, meatie tomatoes on a toasted Italian roll with plenty of flavor. The lobster ravioli was just darn delicious with generous sizes of ravioli and sauce to soak up with Italian bread. I ordered the Pesto that had fresh basil, pignoli nuts, olive oil and extra pecorino Romano cheese which was gratifyingly scrumptious. Because the appetizers were so generous in size as was the dinner, I regrettably was not able to finish my entree but took a "doggie bags". Our waitress was very nice but because it was so busy, for such a small place, we waited a very long time to get our bill. Thank goodness our food was served quickly and warm.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
La Crescenta, California
“OK food, too loud.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The quality of the food was mixed. Some was good, some not so much. It was pretty noisy--even if that is typical in a big city, it doesn't have to be. Would I return? No. There are plenty of other good Italian places in Boston.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Average Italian fare. The place is small and packed to the gills with tables. Andrea the waitress is very friendly and genuine. Food is ho hum

Visited July 2013
Georgetown, Texas
“Depends on how you like your pasta”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Al Dente is a well regarded North Boston restaurant. For us the service was excellent. The food itself was "OK", but mostly unremarkable. The caprese salad featured excellent mozzarella cheese, but the tomatoes were flavorless. I expected more during tomato season! We apparently prefer the lighter pastas. The fettucini was our favorite while the lobster ravioli was flavorful but too heavy. The shrimp and scallops a la vodka had a delicious sauce, but, again, the pasta (restaurant-made fusilli) was too heavy for our taste. Entrée portions were huge, so unless one is looking for take-out or has a huge appetite, a split of the main course should suffice.

• Visited June 2013