“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Summa Cantina Italiana

La Summa Cantina Italiana
30 Fleet St, Boston, MA 02113-2017 (North End)
(617) 523-9503
Neighborhood: North End
Harwich, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I am wary of sharing this review as the times I have been to La summa have had little trouble getting in, when there are lines outside most other restaurant's on Hanover St. La Summa is a small quiet place with the best service and food you will find in the North End. I am challenged to try anything else once I find a menu item that I prefer...but over the years have expanded my choices and have not been disappointed. Stuffed calamari, sole picatta, house chianti, and desserts... all home made have never left us wanting. Also a plus is that they open early so we can finish with plenty of time to walk around and take in the atmosphere of this section of the city. I actually carry La Summa business cards with me, with Sharon and Michaels names on them giving them to those requesting a truly satisfying North End dining experience and over the years reporting back of their wonderful dining experiences.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

USA
“Great Random Find for Us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We spent a long weekend in Boston and a North End Italian dinner was on the to-do list. We were last in Boston 20 years ago. We'd made a list of 4 highly recommended Italian places on Hanover Street, but all had long waits Friday night and we were hungry. So we just decided to walk down a random side street, and we saw La Summa at 30 Fleet Street.

It was about 2/3 full and the menu looked good, so in we went. Very nice room with attentive but not cloying service. A bit more upscale atmosphere than average (e.g., white tablecloths), but very comfortable, relaxed. Our meals were excellent--one of the best Italian restaurant meals in memory. We started with a great stuffed artichoke appetizer, glass of montepulciano and glass of chianti. Then-- I really, really enjoyed the frutti di mare--piled very high with clams, scallops, mussels, squid, shrimp. I selected the light but nicely spiced red sauce. Spouse had linguini with clams in white sauce--several big cherrystone clams cooked perfectly, and a LOT of little clams. Spouse thought it might use a bit less salt, but I tasted it and it was OK to me. She said that she'd order it again, even if a tad less salt would make it better. So a matter of personal choice. I had homemade tiramasu and espresso for dessert; spouse had the tartufo. A very pleasant evening. Appetizer, drinks, main courses, dessert, coffee, tax and 20% tip = $120.

Noticed almost everything on the lunch menu is under $10.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
tallahassee
“Only half good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My pasta was overcooked and they refused to correct it! The bread was cold, not room temp, but COLD and tasted more like sourdough than ciabiatta. The wine and the stuffed squid were good, however, the meal ended on some cold espresso and a snide comment, "We have a know-it-all here." Ciao La Summa, ma questo ristorante non e lo stesso.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“HIDDEN NORTH END GEM!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

OMG!!! Barbara is amazing and so isnt her cooking!!! She is so friendly and happy to tell you a story of her time in boston!!!

Try whatever the waiter suggests! It is all good and the best chicken marsala i ever had!!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
“Surprise Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Found this quiet little Italian restaurant on a side street in Boston just by accident. The food was excellent and the prices were fair.

Visited October 2013