“good food; poor table” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mamma Maria

Mamma Maria
3 North Sq, Boston, MA 02113-2404 (North End)
(617) 523-0077
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mamma Maria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 2,833 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Prince Street
Transit: T to Haymarket or Government Center.
Solon, Ohio
“good food; poor table”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Mamma Maria is in a lovely townhouse overlooking Paul Revere House in Boston's NorthEnd. It is an upscale Italian restaurant with authentic Northern Italian cuisine.
The concierge at our hotel had reserved a "lovely table with a view" for us weeks in advance.
Unfortunately, there was a mix-up somehow and we were seated at a very tiny table sandwiched between two larger tables, and I had a "view" of blank wall:(
Our server was busy with the large party next to us and other tables, so it was quite some time before our drink orders were even taken. But then things looked up after that! The drinks and the recommended wine were very good. The fresh halibut was simply and skillfully prepared-very moist and delicious! The osso buco was tender and flavorful.
The upstairs room we were in was lovely and the place was bustling on a Monday night.
But our overall experience was marred for us by the very poor table seating.
There are many other Italian restaurants in this area and we would choose one of them before going back to Mamma Maria.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Excellent service and very good food (I only rate it 4* because I have to save a star for places like Benu in San Francisco - if I could, I would give it 4.5*). Our waiter was outstanding. When we arrived, we were given a table by the window, which was cold because of the unseasonable weather, but they happily moved us to a warmer table upstairs. I had the cooked oysters, which were delicious and the tenderloin beef, with foie gras - perfectly cooked and delicious. My wife had scallops, which were beautifully presented and a wonderful flavour. For the main course, my wife had crab and clam pasta, which was perfect in every way. Overall excellent and we would definitely come back!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bomoseen, Vermont
“High-end Italian in the North End”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Visited here with our son and his friends based on recommendations of others on Trip Advisor. Excellent food and service! Our server recommended a wine, which turned out to be fabulous and not too pricey. Had the lobster ravioli, osso buco, lamb gnocchi and rabbit pasta among our group...everyone loved all the dishes! This is one of the nicer restaurants in the North End, so I would recommend dressing a little nicer for this one (no t-shirts or shorts!). Great food, service and atmosphere...would definitely recommend!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Food, Definitely Recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Went with my boyfriend to celebrate our anniversary and his birthday, and we both had delicious dinners. The rabbit pasta and lamb gnocci were both excellent. It had a really good atmosphere and good service.

My only complaint is that I had called the restaurant a couple of nights before to notify them of my boyfriend's birthday and requested candles on his dessert, and this never happened. I was disappointed with that, but otherwise we had a nice time.

Visited October 2011
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
“Fabulous...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

A bit pricey...but well worth every dime...homemade pasta...delicious....very elegant & great service...

Visited October 2011