“Eccelente!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mamma Maria

Mamma Maria
3 North Sq, Boston, MA 02113-2404 (North End)
(617) 523-0077
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mamma Maria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 2,831 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Prince Street
Transit: T to Haymarket or Government Center.
Independence, OR.
“Eccelente!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We've eaten Italian food all over including some pretty remarkable spots in Italy. Mamma Maria's food is excellent and has, in my opinion, authentic Italian flavors and preparations. The food was kept simple in preparation having for the most part no more than 3 or 4 flavors per dish. To me that is a key and the essence of Italian cuisine-simple and pure with the freshest of ingredients. They have accomplished that goal well. Presentation was top notch and artfully done. Service was outstanding. I have studied and collected Italian wines for 30 years and found our wait person to be very knowledgable. I had selected 2-3 options and based on our entrees he selected one of them that was perfect.
Check out their menu and wine list at their website. This is not one of the "two entrees with red sauce and a bottle of wine for $30" restaurants that seem to line the streets of Boston's North End. It is on the higher end price wise, but as is often the case, you get what you pay for. That is not always true in the restaurant world, but in this case, I believe it is. If you are looking for a special evening or a fantastic meal, I don't know how you could go wrong.

• Visited September 2011

Boston
“Once again - perfect food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Impeccable service which is so hard to get these days and heavenly food. They do the little tings too like when I asked the maitre d' to tell the waiter to put a brithday candle in a dessert for my daughter. It happened without having to remind them again. The osso buco is divine. Others in the party had fish, pork and beef dishes and everyone was pleased. Great old fashioned, proper service which really does increase the enjoyment of the meal.

• Visited September 2011
New York City, New York
“Great italian food and excellent service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

Appetizers: lobster pasta, mozzarella, fig/prosciutto and arugala salad were all tasty, but the fig/prosciutto was head and shoulders above the rest.

Entrees: osso buccu, pappardelle with rabbit, mushroom pasta and scallops. Osso bucco without a doubt the best. We ordered three for the table!

Desserts. Leave the rest, take the cannolo

Wine selection was pricey, but high quality.

Our server was amazing and made the experience memorable. Look for the guy who looks like Stanley Tucci.

Overall a great place for a social meal with a group of friends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Absolutely perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

I recently enjoyed dinner here during restaurant week and what an incredible experience it was! The ambiance reminded me of a quaint family home with very elegant touches. The wine list was great! Numerous choices and great recommendations from the server. However, the food itself was the prize of the evening. The pairings of flavors on the plate is indescribable. I ordered the lamb gnocchi, fig glazed pork chop (not to be missed) and finished with maple cannoli. I enjoy food and fine dining experiences and I can honestly say this was one of my favorite meals. Great area of Boston to explore and why not enjoy an incredible meal as well!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful food, service and ambiance -- we totally enjoyed our dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We booked a private room for a family reunion dinner sight unseen via phone from Los Angeles. When we arrived, we found a lovely set up with a fully planned and prepared event with virtually no direction from us. The service was professional and warm and the food was fantastic from the appetizers to the dessert. We could not have asked for a better experience. I am a frequent business traveller and attend many conferences, banquets, etc. We were worried about North End 'kitsch', but, happily, this was not the case. Ours was a first rate experience and I highly recommend Mamma Maria, particularly for an intimate event such as ours.

• Visited August 2011