“A little disappointing on our most recent visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Romero

Casa Romero
30 Gloucester St, Boston, MA 02115 (Back Bay)
(617) 536-4341
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Casa Romero is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #742 of 2,815 restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Half Moon Bay, CA
“A little disappointing on our most recent visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

My wife and I have made a routine out of our annual Boston trip by spending the last night in the city so we could dine at Casa Romero's before heading home to California the next morning. We've been doing this for about the past 10 years. We have our regular dishes which we always get and our favorite margaritas (Perfect, frozen for her, straight up for me). But on our most recent visit last week, we were very disappointed with the service and a little disappointed by the food.

The restaurant was very empty for our 6pm reservation (on a Monday) and we chose to sit outside in their little back patio since it was such a beautiful evening. There was only one other couple present, but our waiter was very slow to service us. In fact, it was ~10min before we were even asked if we wanted anything to drink and we had to ask for chips and salsa (your 1st round is free, the 2nd round is $5). As the patio area got fuller, other tables were serviced before us by the other waiter handling the patio. So much so that even though we were the 2nd table seated, we were the 4th table to get their food (the 1st was already eating when we were seated).

We both had our `usual' entrees which were good but not as good as in past visits. Having been looking forward to our annual visit, this time caused us to lower Casa Romero in our list of all time favorite Mexican restaurants. That list is now as follows;
#1 Club Jalapena in Carmel CA
#2 La Hacienda in Scottsdale, AZ (in Fairmont Princess Hotel)
#3 Casa Romero in Boston, MA
#4 Maya in San Francisco, CA

Hopefully our experience was not a sign of the restaurant quality deteriorating, so we'll probably go back for our next visit to Boston.

67% Recommend
Everett, Massachusetts
“Small drinks, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

My boyfriend and I went to Casa Romero for Valentines Day after our first choice restaurant didn't have any available reservations. We had found some reviews of the restaurant online and expected that it would be a good time.

Casa Romero met our expectations and then some. The decor was great - it really did feel like we had stepped into Mexico when we went through the door and into the dining room. The food was excellent even though the Prix-Fixe menu didn't allow for the normal selection. The food was excellent and cooked to order. Absolutely zero complaints.

Despite what other reviews said elsewhere, the service was excellent. Our waiter was attentive but not too overbearing. Our water glasses were constantly replenished. However I was disappointed in the frozen margarita I ordered. It was small and pricey. I have paid the same (or even less) elsewhere in Boston and got a much larger margarita. The quality and flavor of the margarita were on par with other restaurants, hence my disappointment.

The regular menu has items in every price range and even someone who isn't a huge fan of Mexican cuisine like my boyfriend can find something on the menu. The dress is business casual which is nice because one could easily stop in after work or even on the weekend for a nice night out. We had reservations and from what I understand, reservations are preferred on any night.

Overall, my experience was excellent and I look forward to going back soon to taste some of the other great items on the menu.

Been to Casa Romero? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Casa Romero, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.