“Truly great dining experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Espalier

L'Espalier
774 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02199 (Back Bay)
(617) 262-3023
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Espalier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 2,847 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, French, Continental, International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield St.
Transit: Copley Square T
Rockport, ME
“Truly great dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We were looking for the best fine dining experience in Boston, and we found it here. Very atmospheric and romantic. The food was a taste sensation and the presentation was outstanding. The service was helpful, courteous and professional without being stuffy. Don't miss this experience!! Expensive but worth it.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food that'll have you hungry for more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

A group of us book a private room for a party. The first thing you notice is how courteous and prompt the staff were. There had two be three staff members dedicated to our party of fifteen.

On top of that is the awesome food. While small in portion size it was definitely full of flavor. Just a wonderful place overall, and I hope to visit again.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“In love with Wine Mondays!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My friend and I booked this reservation already a month ago. The Wine Mondays here are incredible. A fixed price 5 course menu - paired with a different wine theme each week.

Last night - we went for bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles - yep, sparking wines.
Starting with a coddled egg and toast points with caviar - we enjoyed a brut champagne.
For the second course - a halibut with white asparagus and a light cream sauce with a vintage 2010 Schlumberger. Followed by a mushroom and red pepper risotto with chicken - with a spumante. Then the goat cheese plate with a Carod Clariette die Die and for dessert - this incredible rhubarb mousse with raspberry and taragon sorbet.

My tastebuds were extremely happy and I absolutely love this event. GO. Book a Monday and GO. :) You'll love it!

Cambridge
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We were very eager to experience L'espalier and were sadly disappointed. Because of the restaurants history and reputation we were expecting a meal of exceptional quality based on local ingredients. The meal we received, however, was merely adequate. The waiter did not know from where the food was sourced. He could only say the ingredients were "seasonal". When we asked what vegetables they were serving, he proceeded to list ingredients that were most certainly not is season in New England. He said they were also serving Scottish farmed salmon which has been found to be highly toxic. We should have left then.

The grain bread was of standard quality. The risotto was heavily salted and was commensurate with the quality of any average regional restaurant. The fish was standard, overly salted and of mediocre quality. The understaff were well trained but the waiter made us feel as though we were dining at a culinary school restaurant.

All and all we left with the impression that the restaurant is steeped in marketing and hype- not quality.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“The most special dining experience I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

My husband took me here (after much research) for my 40th birthday. He wanted to have a special dining experience for us, and choice of restaurant was the best. L'Espalier is now my all-time favorite restaurant EVER. I had the seasonal menu- 5 courses plus a cheese course we added on (try the cheese if you go- they have their own fromagier- you can't go wrong). Every course was beautiful, fragrant, succulent, perfect. Most courses were punctuated with palate cleansers or "gifts from the chef" (one bite of something delicious). I also opted for the fresh juice pairings since I don't drink wine.
I can't rave enough about everything at L'Espalier- the food, the service (Service was THE BEST). I felt so special. If you want to really impress someone, take them here.

• Visited February 2012