“Just an awful experience all around !” 1 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Red Fez
1222 Washington St, Boston, MA 02118-2108 (South End)
617-338-6060
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,752 of 2,846 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Eclectic, International
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Neighborhood: South End
“Just an awful experience all around !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Went at 4:00 for drinks with a group of 20 people to remember a friend. Cash only cause computers werent working. Out of Sam Adams, sangria, limes. Drinks literally took 20 minutes to be delivered. Ran out of martini glasses so serving them in mugs. Ordered food and it didn't come in 45 minutes. Manager blamed other patrons ! Will never return !

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great al fresco dining on the patio.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011 via mobile

Surprisingly good middle eastern food on a summer night served on the patio. The only knock on the place was the waiter became a bit inattentive after the food was served.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Hope the food is better?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I had the misfortune of attending Soiree for an alumni association. They held the event at the Red Fez. For an event of this size, the Fez was not large enough.

My 1st mistake was to order a drink for my date. I asked about the liquor they used to make the drink and got a rye smile and a hand pointing to some choices on the wall. While he then, turned and walked away.

Perplexed, I asked another, of what I thought was a bartender. This one smiled and said in his best broken english, "I'll have to get the bartender for you".

I'll only give you one guess who showed up, yep, the same guy. So he fixed our drinks and of course, she was not happy with hers. After a bit of conversation between him and her. She asked for the manager, he walked over to a guy. They had a brief conversation and he came back and said, "The mgr was not here".

She was not happy and asked for her money back. Then he said in his best broken english, "no refund and if you don't like it you could leave". All of this while pointing to the door.

For me this like something akin to a movie or tv show.
She is from the south and a bit persistent, so she walked over to the mystery mgr. and he got behind the bar and fixed her drink. The so called bartender, was offended and got hot.

But in the end, she was satisfied, I didn't have to get involved and the smarty bartender, lost his take charge attitude.

The event went on and we left shortly there after.

But the Fez was not all that pleasant.
I hope the food is better and I'll get my drinks, somewhere else.

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
world traveler
“Not the Red Fez of years gone by”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I have always considered the Red Fez on Washington Street in Boston's South End a hidden gem. For one thing, the food was plentiful and tasty. For another, they have that ultimate rarity in that area: a parking lot.

Always a favorite, my dining companion and I were excited to return, albeit a year had gone by. Immediately, we noticed that the place was oddly empty for a Sunday night, save one other group of 3 in the bar. We sat in the bar, in favor of the empty dining room.

Examining the menu, all the main courses had been removed. Only small plates remain.

Pita bread (which used to arrive warm but doesn't any more) was served with an oil that was theoretically herbed, but struck me as completely flavorless... not even the flavor of plain olive oil. This was clearly a step back from the past as well.

We started with a yogurt/feta spread to put on our bread, as we were not inclined to dip cold pita in unflavored oil. It had a nice taste, but would be counted more as a spread for the bread basket than an actual course, at $6.50.

We choose a salad item with 3 kinds of fruit with cucumber, mint, and olive oil and harissa. Served in a martini glass, you can imagine it was not a lot to share, but had a nice taste.

The scallops turned out to be 3 scallops. They were swimming in a deep pool of nicely flavored broth. At about $9.50, it was no bargain, but we enjoyed our 1.5 scallops each.

About this time, a restaurant patron began dancing to the middle eastern music, putting on an impromptu homo-erotic show for his male dining companions. It was one part belly dance, two parts booty dance, and 4 parts stripper pole. When my friend inquired as to whether or not he worked there doing Middle Eastern dance, he answered that he dances privately, and does so "seductively while touching himself but without having sex because he is high class", and charges $200. Wait, were we just given a prostitution sales pitch during the seafood dish?"

The ground lamb dumplings had great flavor inside, but an unfortunate texture to the dumplings themselves, and were in a river's worth of flavorless brown wetness. The dumpling and a half each of us had was middling, with three dumplings going for $8.00.

We had a total of 5 items between the two of us. In the end, with a glass of wine, we threw in $66. On the way out, we had plenty to discuss, but the first talking point was where to go for dinner. We were both still hungry.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Have reservations about making reservations here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

We had reservations (there were 12 of us celebrating our artist friend's opening) and almost didn't get seated (we had to convince the hostess). When we DID get seated it took 40 minutes to order food and 45 minutes to get our drinks (this only after talking to the hostess 3 times). When the waiter finally arrived with our drinks he asked us if we still wanted the food. Figuring this was not a good sign we decided to leave.

I (politely) told the manager why we were leaving and asked if he had a problem with us not paying for the drinks (I have never done this before). He said no but he would have to run it by the general manager.

The treatment we received from the general manager was nothing short of appalling. Without even a greeting he bluntly (and quite loudly) informed us it was our fault because when we made a reservation he told us it was a busy time. On top of that he was aggressively pointing at me just inches from my head, refusing to engage in a civil conversation. All this in full view of the other patrons. Really quite puzzling and amazingly unprofessional.

I WILL say that I have always had a decent time after work at the bar...and that some of the appetizers are quite good. After this last trip, though..I have to say none of us will be going back.