“A must place to eat when in Boston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods
800 Boylston Street, The Prudential Center, Boston, MA 02199 (Back Bay)
+1 617-266-6800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #178 of 2,881 Restaurants in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Chowder, Seafood, Oyster Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Heretford St.
Transit: Prudential (Green Line) “T” stop.
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods – really fresh fish. Come aboard for seafood or make waves in our buzz-worthy bar. We are conveniently located inside The Shops at the Prudential Center, within steps of the Hynes Convention Center and Newbury Street. Legal Sea Foods has long proven that a consistent, high quality dining experience never goes out of style. With over 40 varieties of fresh fish and shellfish available throughout the year as well as an award-winning wine list, there’s no doubt why legions of fans have fallen hook, line and sinker. We’ve received a boatload of accolades including “Most Popular Boston Restaurant” (Zagat, 2012/2013), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Improper Bostonian, 2010), “Best Chowder” (Boston Magazine, 2010), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Boston Phoenix, 2009) and the honor of serving our legendary New England Clam Chowder at every presidential inauguration since 1981.
Allen, Texas
“A must place to eat when in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Consistent excellent food. On this occasion or wait person was fantastic. Made excellent recommendations that were spot on.

Visited October 2013

• Turkish first
Athens, Ohio
“Much Better than the Legal Sea Foods in Crystal City Va”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had eaten at the Legal Sea Foods in Crystal City, Va and the meal could best be described as mediocre. I had a very pleasant surprise when I returned to try the real think in Boston. All our dishes were delicious and I think the menu had much more appealing selections. It also changed my opinion of eating at chain restaurants. I had the fried oysters that I shared with everyone and the grilled fish combo.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, AZ
“Sea Food done right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I’ve heard about this place from a number of people and even from the Food Network, and for some reason I thought it was one of those places that gear itself to tourists, and therefore be kind of kitschy, overrated, etc., especially because it’s a chain restaurant. So I really wasn’t expecting to be wowed. And wowed I was. It was so good, we ate at LSF twice while in Boston – and we weren’t there that long – it’s just that good.

My husband loves clam chowder and and he said this was the best he had ever had. Ever. I can say the same thing for the crab cakes. The best. Ever. The sole was so great - perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned. The LSF is in amongst the shopping center of the Prudential Center. The nice warm woods lend itself to the upscale atmosphere. Both of our experiences were enhanced by friendly staff and attentive service.

If you visit Boston and don't eat at LSF, shame on you!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
“Didn't Live Up To My Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Despite the fact we had a reservation, we had to wait 20 minutes after our booking before we were seated at a table. This isn't going to put anyone in the best frame of mind. I ordered the lobster bake as a once in a life time treat. While in Boston you're supposed to eat lobster, right? The lobster was okay but not great. It was maybe over cooked? The mussels were definitely over cooked. The corn on the cob was very tasty. The steamers were plentiful. My wife had three types of fish, prawns and scallops with fries and coleslaw. I wished I ordered what she had! Agood bottle of reasonably priced Muscadet. My dessert was sorbet and fruit as advertised - but the the fruit was tinned. Should I have expected that? We might go back again but I won't have the lobster again, nor a dessert.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Swampscott
“Great Restaurant for Seafood Lovers...and Gluten Free if needed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have been going to Legal Seafoods for years, since it started in Inman Square in Cambridge. While the restaurant has evolved much since its inception, one thing has not changed. The seafood is still superb. I have never had a bad meal at a Legal Seafoods. And I have dined at all of the Massachusetts locations and in Washington DC, where I ended up at "Legal" because I knew I could get a great meal and not worry about whether it was gluten free. I like to try local restaurants, but until recently, it has been very difficult to identify restaurants who are truly "gluten-friendly".

I must eat gluten-free, and Legal is one of the first restaurants (in Massachusetts) to really accommodate gluten-intolerant patrons. They never acted bothered by requests, and in fact went out of their way to accommodate a gluten-free diet. For example, I had onion-flavored rolls, croutons on my Caesar salad, and a seafood casserole, all of which had gluten free ingredients. Most restaurants skip the rolls and croutons, and a few still offer only plain meat or fish, without sauce or marinade, because that's easier to do than be a creative chef. Fortunately, Legal offers plain fish if that's what you like, and other choices as well, all superbly cooked.

I know the regular crusty rolls are excellent too...I used to have those before I was diagnosed with Celiac. While I miss them, the substitutes are certainly appreciated and very good!

My seafood casserole was delicious. My wife ordered the baked scrod (also great), and our friends ordered Mahi Mahi and grilled shrimp. All of the entrees were very good.

My Caesar salad was great, as usual. In addition to gluten free croutons, Legal serves anchovies, if you ask. My wife hates anchovies, but to me, it's not a Caesar salad without the anchovies (paste in the salad dressing just doesn't do it for me), and other restaurants often don't even have them to offer. And Legal uses shaved Parmesan cheese, a nice touch.

Thanks for another great meal, and special thanks for being a forerunner in accommodating people who must eat gluten free.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Legal Sea Foods? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Legal Sea Foods, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.