“Great for an Italian chain” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maggiano's Little Italy

Maggiano's Little Italy
4 Columbus Ave, Boston, MA 02116-3910 (Back Bay)
617-542-3456
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 2,847 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Transit: Green Line to Arlington
Singapore
“Great for an Italian chain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've eaten at Maggiano's in Chicago (original city) so I was hoping this location in Boston would be on par. I wasn't disappointed.

Layout is great, and it can cater to VERY large groups with a main dining area and full downstairs banquet area. It feels very family style.

Service is great, welcoming and attentive....from the minute you walk in the door, while you are waiting, during the meal, and as you are leaving. Very friendly and able to give suggestions.

Menu has the stable Italian options and a few variations, good selection of dessert. My only complaint was the delay when we were ordering drinks and getting a 2nd round too.

I've only been here when it was off-peak...so I don't know how welcoming/noisy during peak periods.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We 1st ate at Maggianos in Chicago while on business. It was so wonderful we opted to go back a 2nd time before we left. About a month after we returned home, one opened in Boston! I was thrilled! We have gone for special occasions, Christmas parties, family celebrations.. You name it! The food is always great and they welcome children..(like most Italians!). It's always busy and jumping and the wait staff is great! It's a must go to restaurant!

Visited May 2012
Tampa
“Great food, good atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The portions are more than good for an average eater. And if you have a sweet tooth, don't forget to try the sample dessert plate with 5 types of goodies. It's FANTASTIC!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great family restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Maggiano's is a perfect spot to take your family, your wife, or your entire department of co-workers for a great meal and great family atmosphere. The only complaint is the waiting system. The bar quickly becomes cramped with large parties, and the audio system (there is no buzzer/pager system...) is about as effective as yelling into an empty paper towel roll. It is, however, entirely worth the wait. The food is delicious and respectably priced, the drinks are reasonably priced, especially for this area of town, and it just feels like you're surrounded by family.

If you're in the area, go, and deal with the waiting, but end up with a great dinner and experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Attentive service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Maggiano's bills itself as "Little Italy." Which makes us think of Boston's North End or Manhattan's Little Italy. I'm not sure this is that exactly. There was no wait because it was 3 pm and there were others also having a late lunch. They looked to be tourists.

Kim ordered pasta Alfredo and if you're that kind of eater you can "double your portion for just $5." It arrives with no garnish, just pasta with sauce in a bowl and they're all the same color. It was a little boring. Figured the broccolini with lemon and tons of garlic would be zippy. Er, no but I kept that to myself.

I went for the chopped salad. It was fine and though iceberg has its place, I'm not sure this is it.

Let's see: you can have gluten-free pasta. Oh, there was a curious event. As we were chatting, the lights abruptly went down and the light level looked like a generator kicked in. Kim asked our waitperson and she told us lunch was over, not that we had to leave.

You must visit the lower level. Photos of "celebrities," alive and dead, are everywhere. For some reason it took me back to the '80s, not my eighties, or the '70s or what I've been told about the '50s. It screams old. It's like me showing up in a cheerleader uniform from high school. Or a maître d'hôtel in a tuxedo.

• Visited January 2013