“Manly man, power business food. Kinda noisy and difficult to have a conversation without screaming yourself hoarse...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grill 23 & Bar

Grill 23 & Bar
161 Berkeley St, Boston, MA 02116-5108
617-542-2255
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill 23 & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 2,831 Restaurants in Boston
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Stuart Street
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

Manly man, power business food. Kinda noisy and difficult to have a conversation without screaming yourself hoarse. Ask for a table upstairs when you make the reservation.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good, expensive steakhouse. Plain atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

Good, expensive steakhouse. Plain atmosphere.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Grill 23 was accommodating to dietary preferences (vegan). While the dish wasn't *amazing*, they still pulled it off...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

Grill 23 was accommodating to dietary preferences (vegan). While the dish wasn't *amazing*, they still pulled it off alright. The atmosphere of the establishment is quite nice.

Oklahoma
“Don't waste your time and money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

Was told by a friend to eat at Grill 23. Made reservations without a problem. Restaurant was very dark inside, very difficult to read the menu. Service was good but I felt like they were rushing us. Most dissapointing part was the steaks. The very expensive ribeye I ordered was thin and of below average taste. I've had better ribeyes at the Texas Roadhouse! My wife had the fillet and it was of average taste and quality. Both cuts of meat were way below my standards for such an expensive restaurant. There are too many other good steak houses in Boston, skip this one.

Perth, United Kingdom
“Disgraceful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

Grill 23 was highly recommended to us as a the best steak restaurant in Boston. We had dinner there one evening during our 5 day stay in Boston while on a trip to attend a very important family wedding. The only negative thing about our whole stay was the awful meal we had and the pathetic levels of service at this restaurant. It was incredibly disappointing and I can find nothing positive to say about our experience. The lowest point must be the Delmonico steaks which were recommended to us by our server. They were disgusting in every way and tasted as if they had been deep fried in the axle grease from one of the amphibious 'duck' vehicles which they use for city sight-seeing tours. I asked the server to recommend a good quality Californian Cab Sauvignon which he did, after lots of deliberation. He return with an entirely different bottle of wine and explained that his original recommendation was not available so he had chosen this one instead! None of our party finished any of the dishes which we ordered - nor even the bottle of wine - and we left without ordering dessert. Our bill was over $600 and I think it was one of the poorest dining experiences we have had in the past 20 years anywhere in the world. I would not recommend this restaurant to my worst enemy.

A few nights later, we invited the bride and groom from the wedding down to stay with us in Boston and have dinner with us. I chose Smith and Wollensky and was very nervous after my experience at Grill 23 as I wanted to ensure that everything was the best for the newly weds. Smith and Wollensky was outstanding in every single aspect - food, service, ambience, wine - everything. We had an outstanding dining experience there so in some ways I was glad as we may have chosen Grill 23 for this very important occasion and I would have been even more unhappy. We told the staff at S&W about our outrageously poor meal at Grill 23 and they told us that they considered Grill 23 as one of their main competitors in the city. These two restaurants are poles apart in every aspect. Grill 23 is, in my opinion, as much competition to Smith and Wollensky as a Khasakstani Little League baseball team would be to the Boston Red Sox!

Grill 23 - you should be ashamed.