“A cool twist on Italian” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Taranta

Taranta
210 Hanover St, Boston, MA 02113 (North End)
(617) 720-0052
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Taranta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 2,833 Restaurants in Boston
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Cross
Transit: Haymarket or Government Center T Stop on the Greenline
Washington State
“A cool twist on Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I ate with a large group at Taranta. We had the whole upstairs to ourselves with our own wait staff and a group of probably 30.

As other reviews have noted, the atmosphere is a bit noisy, likely due to the hard, natural surfaces with little fabric to dampen the sound. The tables are cozy but not small. Our wait staff was attentive but you could tell that a group of our size may have been a few too many. However, the service was very, very good.

Our meal started with Chef Duarte telling us how he is Peruvian and his wife Italian, thus the twist. The food was really sumptuous. We started with antipasto which was an assortment of meats, peppers, and some cheese. The stuffed peppers were amazing. Next was the crab stuffed ravioli with shrimp. I found these to be a bit dense but still very tasty. For my main, I had the Osso Bucco over quinoa which, frankly, was fantastic. The portion size was very ample. For dessert, I had the Guavanolli (a guava canolli) which was outstanding (you get 2). I also tried the lemoncello which was light and tart. If I had to do it again, even though I loved mine, I would get the lemoncello.

Overall, I found this restaurant to be very, very good. They kept the drinks flowing, which was good as the meal was a bit unevenly paced. I suspect this was due to the large size of our party.

I would definitely recommend.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Marshfield, Massachusetts
“A Bit Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had high hopes for Taranta, but it fell short. My chicken stuffed with motzarella (and I believe the other thing was mushrooms?) was dry, tasteless, and not stuffed with much. My sangria was a bit watered down. My husband's pork chop tasted of maple flavoring, but Taranta is supposed to be an Italian/Peruvian restaurant. It's a crowded, noisy little restaurant, characteristics that actually becomes charming if the food is great, but it just made it annoying. My shrimp and rabe appetizer was almost on the bland side, and I was expecting Peruvian pizzaz. On the whole, a disappointing experience, one which we paid a great deal of money for.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Beautiful restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

It was a really great night. The food was delicious and we all loved it. It was restaurant week and the ~40 dollars package was kind of fair. In general, we felt it was expensive but it was a really beautiful restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orange, Connecticut
“Enjoy authentic Italian dishes with a twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was a great find in the North End of Boston, awesome Malbec wine, good Italian beer. I had the pasta with blend of mushrooms, it was light and very flavorful, my colleagues had pork chops equally good and plentiful portions. The wait staff is very courteous and willing and able to help making choices. For dessert we tried the hazelnut mousse and cannoli, all good choices. Will visit again if I am in the vicinity.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Wonderful! Fun! Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a fantastic, crazy, wonderful celebratory restaurant! Food is just out of this world with the fusion of Italian and South American cuisines. The only thing that would make the experience better is valet parking!! The street is so congested there is never anywhere to park, and the garage across the way we parked at cost us $36!!!

Visited March 2013