“Nonna would eat here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mother Anna's

Mother Anna's
211 Hanover St, Boston, MA 02113-2309 (North End)
617-523-8496
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mother Anna's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #265 of 2,846 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Cross street: Between Cross St. and Richmond St.
Transit: Congress St @ Hanover St (191, 192, 193) Haymarket Station - Outbound (Orange Line) Haymarket Station - Inbound (Orange Line)
Maine, USA
“Nonna would eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I grew up in an Italian house. I am accustomed to great red sauces and quality ingredients. I now live here---in Boston's North End. I, correctly, think there are dozens and dozens of good, but expensive restaurants in the neighborhood. Most make their money from two sources: tourists and business (corporate) diners. A very few have truly maintained the traditional, quality, homemade ways of real Italian kitchens. Mother Anna's is one of them. It is an absolute gem. The red sauce is hearty and flavourful---with the right acidity to let you know it is in charge. The eggplant parmesan is the best I have ever had. The meatballs are truly homemade and fabulous. The chicken parm is awesome. The joint is not fancy---so you're paying for great food, not frills and periphery. The family still runs the show. Mother Anna's is the real deal.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Nice time/good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Not a fancy place, no red checkered tablecloths, very friendly people, very good food.
I had the special veal dish, my friends had eggplant parm. and sausage and pasta.
Garlic bread very special...with cheese.
A good time was had by all.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“Favorite Restaurant in the North End”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Mother Annas is my go to in the North End. I have been here with a bunch of family in bigger groups and on date nights with my boyfriend and we have always been really pleased with our experience. We always seem to have the same waiter although I cannot seem to remember his name. He is always pleasant, helpful and funny! Once I have even sat at their tiny bar and enjoyed dinner and the Bruins game.

Their red sauce here is to die for! I love how even when you get a dish like chicken marsala, you still get a separate bowl of pasta with red sauce. Their specials here are always great and I am always excited to see what they are offering when I come.

The last visit was with my boyfriend and another couple. We enjoyed our dinner and the experience!

Visited November 2013
Portland, Maine
“Family atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We've walked past this place for years, dismissing it from the outside as too touristy. But this time, we were on a tight schedule to get a train at North Station, so we popped in around 4:30pm Why did we wait so long to get past the door? Good food, family atmosphere, not touristy at all. Nor super-foodie. We split a spinach salad and a tortellini dish, stuffed with portobello mushroom, sauce had artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes. More than enough food for two, servings are large. Including my glass of chianti, the bill came to about $40. Good deal. Good food. Good setting.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“GREAT! Best Italian I had in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a place when solicited by a gentleman outside who told me if I didn't like it I wouldn't have to pay. That's a pretty bold proclamation so I took him up on it. The gentleman turned out to be the third generation owner and he was right the food was fantastic! When I'm back in bean town and want Italian it will be mother Anna's for me

• Visited October 2013