“Lively atmosphere, good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Piccolo Nido

Piccolo Nido
257 North St, Boston, MA 02113-2107 (North End)
617-742-4272
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #901 of 2,672 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Hampden, Massachusetts
“Lively atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Piccolo Nido was a fun place to dine on a Saturday night. There are dozens of small restaurants in the North End, and we'd seen lines of people waiting for tables outside them. We were thrilled to find a small, family owned, Zagat rated place that accepted reservations, and our table by the front window was waiting for us. The menu is not huge, but the kitchen was very flexible about subbing or re-combining, and the homemade pasta is delicious. Recommended: the veal chop. The weekend before the Super Bowl, football was in the air, and the owner was stopping by tables to chat about the game. The small foyer is decorated with photos of him and Boston celebs, including, of course sports figures. Celebrating a birthday? The owner will sing along with a recording of Happy Birthday in Italian. White table linens are deceiving- informal and fun.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wakefield, Rhode Island
“Authentic Italian cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

You will feel like you are in Italy when you taste the fresh and carefully prepared food served in this charming restaurant. A little removed from busy Hanover street, it has the feel of so many places we've eaten in Italy. Great service overseen by the owner who is quite a character. He even let me tour the small but immaculate kitchen. ( no worries there, super clean and all the prep containers are in a special refrigerated work table. Even the pots and pans are gleaming). We always stop here when we are in Boston.

Visited January 2012
“Good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Would definitely go again and have recommended it to friends

Wakefield, Massachusetts, United States
“awesome accomadated 18 guest of mine i left everything up to Pino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

very nice everyone loved everything good old fashion fashioned home cooked dinner ,Pino was born near the same town as me in Italy .the freshness the rustic taste and everything prepared reminds me of when i was a kid growing up and everything was picked from the garden and prepared by my own mom try it you wont be disappointed

Visited November 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“worst restaurant experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I live in the North End and was always curious about this restaurant. I walk by it nearly every day and thought I'd try it with a couple other friends who live in the North End as well. It's definitely a restaurant that not many people know of because it is on an odd street far away from the hustle and bustle of the famous Hanover Street and Prince and Salem Streets. I noticed that it was busier on weekday nights than weekends, but I still thought I'd give it a try. It was terrible. The pasta was so overcooked it may have been from the previous day. My friend's clams were so dry that she didn't even attempt to eat them. The wine was skunked. I've never complained about any food, and I feel like I actually have low standards, but eating here was a wake up call! The owner Pino was there and tried to introduce himself but ended up being rude and condescending. He definitely thought he was Mr. North End and that his restaurant was the only one that was authentic. He was naming other restaurants in the North End saying how bad their food is or how the owner is in the mafia, which is not what you do to get any sort of respect or following. He kept getting phone calls and answering them in the dining room (pretty small restaurant as it is only one room) and everyone was clearly upset with his unprofessionalism that was disturbing their meals. I've eaten at so many of the restaurants in the North End and around the rest of Boston, having lived here for 5 years and this was the only poor experience I've ever had.

• Visited October 2011