“Average food for an upscale price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Union Oyster House

Union Oyster House
41 Union St, Boston, MA 02108-2406 (Allston / Brighton)
617-227-2750
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #311 of 2,815 restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Allston / Brighton
Transit: Two options: Take the Blue or Green Line to Government Center. Walk down the stairs along the side of City Hall and cross Congress Street. We are across the street. Note we are across from the New England Holocaust Memorial. Or, take the Orange or Green Line to Haymarket,left on Congress,left on Hanover,right on Union.
Brookline, MA
“Average food for an upscale price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

There are much better choices in Boston for good seafood. One thing I would like to point out is that I haven't tried the raw bar and I have heard it's good. The lobster and fish we had there was OK but in my opinion too expensive for the quality they serve...

63% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A great place to take a break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been here twice with my girlfriend and we enjoy the atmosphere and the appetizers. I can't give a fair assessment overall on the food, because we've stopped by to take a break, grab a snack and have a beer. The prices are a bit expensive, from what I recall, but you're in a heavily trafficked tourist area and they have to pay the rent. We really enjoy the atmosphere and our two visits have been pleasant experiences. A great respite for us when walking around the vicinity of Quincy Market, especially when it's cold outside.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vienna, Austria
“Can't be beat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Now I know why my parents always made a point to visit the Oyster House every time they could!
Our waitress Linda was a real crackup: fun, quick-witted, warm-hearted, and she went the extra mile to make sure we could try as many of the specialties Boston and the Oyster House have to offe,r and that we were enjoying ourselves every minute. We had all the time we needed to order, and were not at all rushed as we enjoyed each and every morsel on our plates.
If you want seafood in Boston and the best ambiance ever, visit the Union Oyster House, America's oldest restaurant, for the best experience ever!

Visited February 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Happy place for a tourist visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This has the old establishment feeling with great list of sea food menus.
Upstairs restaurant, downstairs bar and the gift shop.
Staff were very friendly, and I do think this is a decent place.

I tried oysters twice while in Boston this time, and I must say, this was not the best.
What put me off was that there were only ketchup& horse radish toppings (and they serve these toppings in plastic disposable cup - disappointing!) but not the vinaigrette. The only vinegar they had in house was malt vinegar for fish and chips.

Having said that, given the special occasion to be in Boston and wanted to try the old establishment in town, I was happy that I did that. Other food & wine I had was pretty good, too

I had
- 6 fresh oysters
- Mussels white wine sauce (very good, big healthy mussels)
- Hot apple cobbler

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very pricey but nice historical building”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Lunch for 2 was $63. 5 shrimp in shrimp cocktail. The food was tasty but pricey. Corn bread was very good. Atmosphere was new england traditional. It is a once is enough type of place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere