“Overbooking is not acceptable for this type of HOTEL.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Boston Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loews Boston Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Boston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   154 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116 (Formerly Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel) (Back Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Eat, Drink. Our Treat!
Ranked #16 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Irvine, California
“Overbooking is not acceptable for this type of HOTEL.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I made the reservation three weeks before the trip.
However, the hotel was overbooked.

When I stayed at LOEWS Boston Back Bay Hotel between June 19th and 21st, 2013, the front desk person told me that the hotel is overbooked and I need to go to different property (Millennium Bostonian Hotel - at the time of reservation LOEWS was $100 more expensive than Millennium ) for the first night stay.
When I was checking out on 21st, Seth Thomas (Front Office Manager) told me personally that I am going to get the complementary 1-night staying voucher right away on my email.
However, it has been more 5 days, I have not got anything from the hotel.

Overbooking is not acceptable for this type of HOTEL.
This was the worst experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Liked this hotel's atmosphere. Room was spacious, quiet, and clean. Heater and AC worked quickly. We had a large bathroom with both shower and separate tub, and one noticeably different but cool thing was that there was a motion light in the bathroom so that I could see in the middle of the night without running into anything. Also a towel warmer built into the rack!

No complimentary breakfast, but there is a card you can fill out that attaches to the front of the door to order room service breakfast for the following morning - we felt like it was too expensive for what it was and so opted to look for other places on our own (thanks Yelp!). We tried Mike & Patty's instead and enjoyed it for a lot less.

Docking a star because of some confusion at the front desk - although they were well intended, there was just no follow through. Upon arriving the front desk made small talk about why we were in town - I informed her it was the tail end of an Army reunion for my husband, marking 10 years since his deployment during the invasion and elections in Iraq. She was very polite, thanked him for his service, then pulled me aside out of earshot to ask if it would be ok to send something up to his room to thank him for his service. I was totally impressed, told her yes that would be ok, and she asked what he liked, so I told her he likes beer. She said she'd have it sent up and would call us when our room was ready (given that we arrived at 0900 and check in was much later). Never showed up during our stay, even when I asked the front desk about it (which made me feel like a jerk...don't want them to think we expect anything over the top just because he's a vet, but they did say they'd do it and then never did). Everything else was very enjoyable and totally pleasant.

Overall my husband and I liked this hotel a lot for our 4 night stay in Boston, from the location and friendly front desk staff, to the turn down service and housekeeping staff, to the big room and bathroom. Wished we had tried the bar or restaurant, but we will have to at our next visit!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is at the quieter end of Stuart St but we were unlucky to encounter road works below our room during our stay. Sound proofing quality is not adequate - even ear plugs couldn't mute the loud drilling and digging noises which start from 8 am..
The room itself is very comfy and spacious. The complimentary coffee making facility in the room is a nice touch. And we really appreciated the warm towels from the heated rack in the mornings.
Only room setback (other than sound proofing) are the flimsy pillows and the slippery duvet covers which just kept falling off the bed when we turned in our sleep.
Overall the front desk staff and doormen are very friendly and always happy to greet guests.

• Stayed June 2013
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed just one night recently for a business meeting. This is a beautiful, old and historic hotel in a great area. Customer service, food, and comfort of room was very good. Meeting rooms were also very nice and served our purposes well. Only suggestion would be to add coffee maker in the rooms, as I always appreciate this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Checkley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We returned to the Back Bay after 2 years. Once again all the staff were very professional,always helpful and friendly. From the moment I stepped out of my hire car to the moment we left in heavy rain, the staff were courteous and welcoming. Thankyou!!! The breakfast was excellent, but we were disappointed that we could not have an evening meal in the Stanhope Grill. Cuffs bar seemed less busy than before. Food and drink still good. Great location, quiet but elegant and a great style. We hope it does not change too much, keep up the standards. Our room and bathroom was large, comfortable and clean. I would like to return when I am in Boston.

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor on Stuart st was quiet. We had a Premier room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
iselin, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Beware when booking a Deluxe King ... They vary widely.

I first got room 436 which was about 260 sq ft, which made me feel like I was staying in Italy. Curtain was stained and an open pack of q-tips was left in the bathroom.

Came back from walking around and asked what made my room deluxe and not a superior, she told me it was a King deluxe. Once I complained about the size and asked if there were any other size rooms, she explained that my "deluxe" ranges from 260 to 339 sq ft. I asked for one of those and got one.

The 339 sq ft room was nicer but still nothing I would write home about for the price. The bathroom needs updating, since the tub was not as nice as the tile shower in the smaller room. Also, the CHEAP shower curtains must go, buy a cloth one somewhere. (Or glass door)

Valet was expensive ($46) but not abnormal for Boston. They seem understated since we had to wait awhile when pulling in (didn't feel comfortably leaving car with hazards on sitting in Stuart Street).

Cake from restaurant was delicious and the location was key. I'd stay at Fairmont next time unless they drop the prices.

With this, I know the hotel is renovating since they just bought into Boston but I hope they redo the bathrooms and do something about the paper thin doors and walls, if staying on business I would definitely not choose here. (Wifi is included).

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very convenient location if you need to be downtown. Room was tiny with one small window and night stand wasn't actually 'bedside' because of wall space. Only room for one suitcase. Not even a coffee maker in the room! On the upside - the hotel restaurant (attached to pub) is excellent and the service and food an easy 5 star. Odd thing is that the concierge doesn't give a recommendation for the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!