“Snug and warm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Boston Hotel

You added Loews Boston Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Boston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   154 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116 (Formerly Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel) (Back Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Beverages!
Ranked #16 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore
“Snug and warm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is at the quieter end of Stuart St but we were unlucky to encounter road works below our room during our stay. Sound proofing quality is not adequate - even ear plugs couldn't mute the loud drilling and digging noises which start from 8 am..
The room itself is very comfy and spacious. The complimentary coffee making facility in the room is a nice touch. And we really appreciated the warm towels from the heated rack in the mornings.
Only room setback (other than sound proofing) are the flimsy pillows and the slippery duvet covers which just kept falling off the bed when we turned in our sleep.
Overall the front desk staff and doormen are very friendly and always happy to greet guests.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed just one night recently for a business meeting. This is a beautiful, old and historic hotel in a great area. Customer service, food, and comfort of room was very good. Meeting rooms were also very nice and served our purposes well. Only suggestion would be to add coffee maker in the rooms, as I always appreciate this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Checkley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We returned to the Back Bay after 2 years. Once again all the staff were very professional,always helpful and friendly. From the moment I stepped out of my hire car to the moment we left in heavy rain, the staff were courteous and welcoming. Thankyou!!! The breakfast was excellent, but we were disappointed that we could not have an evening meal in the Stanhope Grill. Cuffs bar seemed less busy than before. Food and drink still good. Great location, quiet but elegant and a great style. We hope it does not change too much, keep up the standards. Our room and bathroom was large, comfortable and clean. I would like to return when I am in Boston.

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor on Stuart st was quiet. We had a Premier room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
iselin, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Beware when booking a Deluxe King ... They vary widely.

I first got room 436 which was about 260 sq ft, which made me feel like I was staying in Italy. Curtain was stained and an open pack of q-tips was left in the bathroom.

Came back from walking around and asked what made my room deluxe and not a superior, she told me it was a King deluxe. Once I complained about the size and asked if there were any other size rooms, she explained that my "deluxe" ranges from 260 to 339 sq ft. I asked for one of those and got one.

The 339 sq ft room was nicer but still nothing I would write home about for the price. The bathroom needs updating, since the tub was not as nice as the tile shower in the smaller room. Also, the CHEAP shower curtains must go, buy a cloth one somewhere. (Or glass door)

Valet was expensive ($46) but not abnormal for Boston. They seem understated since we had to wait awhile when pulling in (didn't feel comfortably leaving car with hazards on sitting in Stuart Street).

Cake from restaurant was delicious and the location was key. I'd stay at Fairmont next time unless they drop the prices.

With this, I know the hotel is renovating since they just bought into Boston but I hope they redo the bathrooms and do something about the paper thin doors and walls, if staying on business I would definitely not choose here. (Wifi is included).

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very convenient location if you need to be downtown. Room was tiny with one small window and night stand wasn't actually 'bedside' because of wall space. Only room for one suitcase. Not even a coffee maker in the room! On the upside - the hotel restaurant (attached to pub) is excellent and the service and food an easy 5 star. Odd thing is that the concierge doesn't give a recommendation for the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for the second time after 2years. Although I enjoyed my first stay, it was not the case for the second time.
As we arrived, no one helped us with our luggage nor opened the door for us. The check-in was cold and totally unfriendly.
The room was the same as I remembered but just really warned out. Less decoration, furniture old and dated. The air cond made lots of noise so impossible to have it on at night. Thank god, the weather wasn't too great when we were in Boston so we were ok at night. The gym downstairs is tiny.
What really did it though is that on our last day the fire alarm went on at 7am..... No one was sure what was going on so I phoned reception and they told us to go down. Once down at reception, no apologies just a: that's nothing you can go back up to your rooms!
We were checking out an hour later and the lady still didn't apologise about this (even after I mentioned it).... She however didn't forget to charge me SEVEN dollars for a small bottle of water!
Definitely not a 4stars experience... Won't be back and won't recommend it!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at several hotels in the area. This by far was the best. Is it perfect, no. Is anything? When in this area of Boston, all hotels are priced about the same. However the difference from other hotels in the area was every member of the staff was friendly and courteous, from the Doorman to the General Manager.

The rooms were clean and fresh smelling and quite. I read several of the reviews and as did many of the reviewers had a great stay. I didn't experience the noise and I don't drink coffee so that wasn't an issue for me.

The hotel was recommended to me and I will recommend this hotel to others. Thanks for a great stay. We will be back soon!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Loews Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!