“Not impressed!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Boston Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loews Boston Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Boston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   154 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116 (Formerly Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel) (Back Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Beverages!
Ranked #16 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Not impressed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very convenient location if you need to be downtown. Room was tiny with one small window and night stand wasn't actually 'bedside' because of wall space. Only room for one suitcase. Not even a coffee maker in the room! On the upside - the hotel restaurant (attached to pub) is excellent and the service and food an easy 5 star. Odd thing is that the concierge doesn't give a recommendation for the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for the second time after 2years. Although I enjoyed my first stay, it was not the case for the second time.
As we arrived, no one helped us with our luggage nor opened the door for us. The check-in was cold and totally unfriendly.
The room was the same as I remembered but just really warned out. Less decoration, furniture old and dated. The air cond made lots of noise so impossible to have it on at night. Thank god, the weather wasn't too great when we were in Boston so we were ok at night. The gym downstairs is tiny.
What really did it though is that on our last day the fire alarm went on at 7am..... No one was sure what was going on so I phoned reception and they told us to go down. Once down at reception, no apologies just a: that's nothing you can go back up to your rooms!
We were checking out an hour later and the lady still didn't apologise about this (even after I mentioned it).... She however didn't forget to charge me SEVEN dollars for a small bottle of water!
Definitely not a 4stars experience... Won't be back and won't recommend it!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at several hotels in the area. This by far was the best. Is it perfect, no. Is anything? When in this area of Boston, all hotels are priced about the same. However the difference from other hotels in the area was every member of the staff was friendly and courteous, from the Doorman to the General Manager.

The rooms were clean and fresh smelling and quite. I read several of the reviews and as did many of the reviewers had a great stay. I didn't experience the noise and I don't drink coffee so that wasn't an issue for me.

The hotel was recommended to me and I will recommend this hotel to others. Thanks for a great stay. We will be back soon!

• Stayed June 2013
Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Property and rooms ok, previously this was the Back Bay Hotel and is not up to Loews standards. We turned the A\C off as it was noisy, and opened the window, we were woken at 11pm by building work outside which went on all night and continued all day. The hotel claimed not to know about it despite there being a building permit, so they would have had to known. Even when the window is closed it makes no difference to the noise levels, the windows aren't double glazed. They offered us a late check out till 12' we demanded until 3pm so our child could have a sleep as he had been awake all night. No tea and coffee making facilities in the room, not the standard I expected for a $ 400 night stay. It's on a pretty busy noisy road and next to an intersection anyway. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 830 and I think all of the rooms around the 28 and 30 on all floors are next to the lifts so no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
St. Paul,MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Paid $506.04 for two nights for a deluxe king room. Walking in we first noticed the carpet looked dirty/stained. The TV countertop also looked very dirty but was actually damaged. It just looked bad when walking into the room and was very noticeable. Room was large enough for the king bed but not much more. The bathroom garbage can foot control opener did not work, so we had to open with our hands. After walking all day we came back to the room and discovered that the room temperature was very, very warm (actually hot). We couldn't turn the heat down or off! We waited in the hallway until the problem was corrected by the hotel maintenance person. This problem was handled efficiently.
On the positive side the staff was very friendly. The doormen were always smiling and cordial. Starbucks coffee offered in the main lobby area in the morning, however there wasn't a coffee maker in the room. The location is very convenient to the subway or within walking distance to many sites. The bed and pillows were comfortable and we didn't have any problems with noise from the hallway or adjacent rooms.
Our room certainly needs some updates to improve it's appearance. Not sure I would pay this much for the same type of room again. Definitely not a luxury hotel room. If I stayed here again I would request to see the room first before committing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our first visit to Boston, and we scored this lovely hotel on Priceline. It's in a terrific location close to Public Gardens, Boston Common, Back Bay, in fact, we found it a great home base for walking everywhere in the area. The standard king room was a nice size, very clean and well-maintained, with blackout curtains and nice bedding, and had a huge bathroom with towel warmer, storage, and a motion activated night light. The complimentary toiletries were truly a step up in quality from the typical ones provided. I'm a light sleeper, so when the a/c kicked on, it would wake me up in the middle of the night, but it was easy to go back to sleep. From the time we pulled up outside, the staff were all consistently friendly and helpful. Brandon (valet) and the girl at front desk (didn't get her name) patiently and knowledgeably answered all our questions and offered good suggestions. The hotel is beautiful both inside and outside, and there was an attractive bar downstairs that had tables and couches outside we didn't get a chance to try. Can't comment on any of the other amenities because we didn't use them. Overall, give the hotel a 4.5, and the staff get a solid 5 stars for friendly customer service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Decided to introduce my husband and kids to Boston in June. Since I have not visited since my late teens, I really didn't remember alot about places to stay, eat, etc.... Loews was a pleasant surprise! You are never really sure if a hotel will live up to the comments but let me tell you that Loews in the Back Bay really did! Really great location and close to the T.(You can absolutely walk around boston and ride the T to get around pretty easily.)

The rooms are very spacious and clean. The hotel has an upscale appearance and a great value, when you consider others that are comparable. I cannot say enough about the staff. The front desk staff was helpful and always smiling (Maybe it was our accents and they just didn't completely understand us). And the concierge steered us to great places to eat and visit. She was always available to help us plan our days (we stayed 4 and saw alot!).

So if you go to Boston, give Loews a go! Very close to the commons and the Patriot Walking Trail! Oh, and I almost forgot...you have to do the duck tour and go to a Sox game!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Loews Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!