“Back Bay Boston...Loews is your place to Stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Boston Hotel

You added Loews Boston Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Boston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   154 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116 (Formerly Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel) (Back Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Beverages!
Ranked #14 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Myers, Florida
“Back Bay Boston...Loews is your place to Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I proposed to my now fiance on the flight up to Boston. We both had never been to Boston and we looked forward to visit the city. Upon arrival we knew this was going to be a great place. The classic beauty of this hotel is seen instantly. If you didn't know this hotel use to be the Police Headquarters. The restoration of the building is awesome because they kept the history while giving it all the modern amenities. Once entering our room (they new the occasion as I called a few days prior) they had a Bottle of Champagne delivered to us plus Chocolate strawberries and a special CONGRADS note. The room was very nice...we had the Luxury King. I suggest upgrading to that. The bedding was stellar, the room although not huge was very adequate. The size of the room was made up with the size of the bathroom. Large walk in shower with plenty of space plus water pressure and temp was great. The accessories in there including bathrobe and heated towel rack was great. Plenty of room definitely in there. The view was ok...we laughed because there is an office building that was right across the way...on one occasion my fiance forget to shut the curtains and needless to say when she got out of the shower....well....just remember to shut the curtains. LOL. The staff were great...remembered our names and were always ready to make suggestions and answer questions. The bar downstairs is very nice and make great drinks. Although we didn't spend too much time actually in the hotel besides resting and sleeping....I always looked forward to winding down there. Fridge, Nice TV, Great Channels, Stereo and CD player... all the things you need while in the room are there. I am not a big review guy and we aren't " Uptight" when it comes to places to stay but we want to feel like people care while we are there and we want to have a place that is "Nice" but not over the top. We found it here. We read reviews here and anytime you do that you read good and not so good. Well the good far out weighed the bad ...and I am happy they were right! So if you are just considering Loews Back Bay...don't consider book it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Luxury King..well worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel and could not be happier. Staff friendly, service excellent, rooms lovely. First class hotel. Traveled to Boston from the. UK. Stayed two nights with our 4 year old. They made her feel welcome with little treats and puzzles. Free wifi and great location to see Boston with great malls just minutes away! Will be back!

• Stayed May 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Booked this trip from the UK some time ago and after the recent events was a little edgy on
what the atmosphere in the city would be like. As far as the Loews Back Bay was concerned
the hotel was a very good first feel for Boston. Out front the building rather looks a little what it used to be, the old Police HQ, but through the entrance that transforms very pleasantly.
After a day's travelling I felt slightly dishevelled, almost overwhelmed, but the reception team were very efficient and genuinely welcoming. The decor is tastefully modern and classy, overall a relaxed comfortable atmosphere without being excessively opulent.
My room was spotless and remained so throughout my stay, towels and linen were changed daily. All the staff seemed very focused and professional, naturally friendly and polite.
There was a lot to see in Boston so I didn't actually dine in the hotel as I rarely do on my travels. If I should ever pass through Boston again I would be quite happy to stay there again.
Boston "T" Subway stations were very close in either direction and some handy deli/ cafes on Boylston/ Newbury Streets just over a block away.

Room Tip: Slight traffic noise on Berkley Street side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear observer2011,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent experience. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and our Front Desk team as well as Housekeeping made great impressions. I will certainly share you comments with our entire team.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Birmingham,,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is very,very good. It is classy, modern with a nice warm and friendly feel to it. The check-in was swift and efficient...bags delivered promptly.
The room was clean & modern with everything you need. A clean shiny bathroom with a good shower and nice towels. The toilet unit has a symphonic flush, and there was no noisy extractor fan to disturb sleep.
We were quite near the lifts, which did disturb our sleep, but you can't have everything.
The breakfast was good and the staff,pleasant and accommodating.
The small coffee lounge is good and a great touch is the free Internet facility,to keep in touch with home & e-mails.
On leaving, the doorman was very helpful in getting us a large taxi, for four of us and all our luggage.
For a stay in Boston, this hotel cannot be faulted.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift shaft, for a really good nights sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear terryl83,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for selecting our hotel as your 'Boston home' and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Loews Boston Back Bay hotel is clean, attractive and a pleasant place to stay if you want to be in central Boston.

I had a good room - one of the back rooms that has no view as it looks into the well, but I preferred it to an outside room as it was quieter. It's a central hotel with busy roads all round so if, like me, you need to have quiet in order to sleep, it's best to have an inside room.

The room was large and well-fitted with everything except....as so often with American hotels...no tea and coffee making facilities. That's the one thing I REALLY missed!

However, it was a comfortable room, a great bed and a well-sized bathroom (which could have had a bath as well as a shower - shame they didn't put one in).

The staff were all excellent and very friendly. Also. a great boon was a large lounge near reception which was mostly completely empty in the evenings so a good place to go and read if you wanted to be outside your room.

I would certainly stay here again and I'm interested in checking out some other Loews hotels.

Room Tip: if you want quiet go for one of the inside rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jasmine B,

Thank you very much for your very gracious review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled to hear we have created a loyal guest and very excited that based on your experience, you would like to stay at other Loews properties. Loews is a growing company with 19 properties throughout North America with hopes of nearly doubling in size in three years. In 2013, we are investing $1 billion (that is a 'B'!) in our portfolio including the purchase of our property four months ago and a renovation slated to begin later this year. I would encourage you to checkout the Loews website and become a YouFirst member, the Loews Guest Loyalty Program.

As for your comment regarding coffee, we do offer Kuerig coffee makers in all of our Premium rooms and above with hopes of adding them to all rooms very soon. We appreciate your feedback.

Thank you again for your very kind comments and please let me know if I may assist with accommodations her or at any other Loews property by emailing me at john.maibach@loewshotels.com.
staten island, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I chose this hotel before it had officially changed ownership. I love the idea of reinventing an older space. We arrived an hour before what was listed as check-in. The front desk staff had a difficult time finding out if our room was ready yet, as the entire housekeeping staff was in a meeting! Since check out was 4 hours ago, I would expect an answer quickly and, quite honestly, a ready room. I travel for business regularly and this has never happened to me, even in lower end hotels. For the price, the rooms are small. There is not a space to eat a room service meal, which we ordered for breakfast the morning of my son's commencement. We had to call them twice and the third call we cancelled the order, but it showed up 5 minutes later. We were told there would be no charge, but it showed up on the room charges as we checked out - we were credited. The bar area was nice and the service was good. The restaurant was slow and inattentive. There is no counter space in the bathroom, even though the room itself was spacious. The entrance where the valet is located is not the main entrance to the building which is the side that is shown in all the marketing. I wouldn't recommend this hotel. The staff seems unconcerned with anyone's privacy, or going out of their way to accomodate.

Room Tip: higher floor if the weather is warm - the bar opens into an outdoor courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had relatively high expectations for the hotel & it fell short. The "boutique" feel that normally comes along with Loews was evident in the choice of the building, the bathroom & the lobby, but after that I felt like I was staying at a 2 star hotel in a second rate town. Which for what I spent to stay there, in a great city was not the feeling that I should walk away with.

The service was pretty good from the valet to the front desk; the service in the bar was a smidge slow. I'll give a pass on that since it was a Sunday night that we popped in there. The restaurant was closed, which was a bummer because it was so flipping cold that day that we just couldn't bear to go outside. But we did. When I checked out the front desk asked for my room # & I gave it to him (correctly). He must have not heard me, because he just stared at me. I repeated the room # & he said, how about your last name. Which I gave him. He replied, ah, here you are in room # whatever& his colleague, said to me well you were close. I thought that it was a very odd exchange in that I gave them my room number & they acted like I was insane. Whatever...it was more weird then anything else. All in all, service was average for what I would expect from this hotel chain.

The real problem to me is the rooms. I understand entirely that this is the old police headquarters & I love rehabbing old, unique buildings to new uses. But they needed to come up with a better plan for the rooms. They are small. The bathroom is about half the size of the room. And I was disappointed with the finishes in the room (furniture, art, comforter, etc.). I just didn't think that it measured up to what I expect. When I stayed at another hotel in Boston (which I reviewed on TripAdvisor), the room was exceptionally large. And it was in the same neck of the woods. So I was shocked that in the adaptive reuse to turn the police HQ into a hotel that there was not a designer on hand that could come up with better space planning for the rooms. And I know that this was previously a different hotel property, but one would think that Loews would do more then just put new furniture in when they flipped the hotel.

I won't stay here again during my next trip to Boston; too underwhelming in all aspects.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Watergirl8888,

Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on your recent visit. I would very much welcome an opportunity to speak with you about your experience and can be reached at 617-532-3838 or by emailing me at john.maibach@loewshotels.com.

To clarify one point- Loews took over the hotel on February 11 and we have placed a heavy focus on getting the property cleaner and fully functional. However, we have not replaced any furniture nor made any modifications to guest rooms as a full guest room renovation is scheduled for late 2013/early 2014.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Been to Loews Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!