“Awful doorman” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Boston Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loews Boston Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Boston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 Stuart St., Back Bay, Boston, MA 02116 (Formerly Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel) (Back Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Eat, Drink. Our Treat!
Ranked #19 of 77 hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Awful doorman”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Staying here for the weekend, pretty pleased with the hotel overall. Rooms are clean, average sized, and quiet.

What was not OK however, was the doorman. The one wearing a Boston Hat. My sister and I came out to the street to get a cab, and he was off to the side talking to a buddy. After standing there looking at him for a few moments as to not interrupt his conversation, I finally interrupted him and asked for a cab, he replied "there is one around the corner at the cab stand". I have never stayed at a hotel and been told to walk around the corner for a cab. I am more then capable of getting my own cab, but do take advantage of the convienance of a doorman when they are available, and was appalled when he told me to just go around the corner. After walking down the street, we found no cab or cab stand (which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist) and came back. He (still talking to his buddy) looked at me and said "was there no cab there?" Clearly if I am still standing here, there was no cab. He said "ok we'll get you one" and continued talking and made no effort to get us a cab. By this point, the valet guy had walked over and overheard the doorman mention getting us a cab, and thankfully called one for us, as there weren't any in sight.

I was astonished at the kind of service we received at this hotel. I know this is a rather long story, but my point is that, with all of the hotels in Boston, it only takes one bad interaction to ruin an otherwise perfectly good visit. I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear khafford,
Please accept my most sincere apologies for the unacceptable service lapse you experienced this weekend. It is very disappointing to read your post and I can understand the level of frustration you experienced. We will address this immediately with all of our door staff but I would welcome an opportunity to discuss further and hope you have the time to email me directly at john.maibach@loewshotels.com.

Thank you.

1,812 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed at the Back Bay in March with our 6 year old daughter. When we arrived in the evening tired after flight we were met by Brendan the doorman who made us feel really welcome. Check in took a while as the staff member was on her own and had to keep answering the phone at the same time as checking us in. Really happy with room spacious,quiet,relaxing with an immaculate bathroom. The cleaning staff do an amazing job our room was spotless throughout our 5 night stay As mentioned in other reviews tea & coffee facilities or at least some bottled water on arrival would have been appreciated.Great location subway was 5 mins walk away loads of lovely shops,resturants and parks around the corner. We loved the relaxed atmosphere of the Back Bay liked the complementary Starbucks coffee & newspapers in the mornings. The staff really made our stay special especially the doorman Brendan who when he found out our daughter had lost her soft toy arranged for a replacement to be waiting in our room when we returned after a day out.My daughter was over the moon when she found it. We really recommend this hotel it was so relaxing, friendly but with excellent standards & service. Boston is a great city and if you want a homely hotel with great staff the Back Bay hotel is the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear rainbow369,
Thank you very much for the great review! We will be sure to share this with our entire team so they can understand how an individual can significantly impact one’s stay. We had previously caught wind of Brendon’s actions to replace your daughter’s toy along with the note he left and, as a result, Brendon was nominated for our Team Member of the month of March. We are fortunate to have Brendon as part of our team and are thrilled that he saw an opportunity to provide a ‘Wow’ and did so on his own, on his free time!

We appreciate you sharing your experience and do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was my second visit to The Back Bay and since then Loews group took it over. Unfortunately all the nice little things that compensated for the not-so-great rooms etc are gone with the other group. Complimentary water bottles are gone (now $7 a bottle in the room), newspaper that was delivered to the door every morning is gone. Also for our whole reservation of 9 people, they held the full amount in my colleague's credit card, which triggered a fraud alert from her bank. The only good thing that happened was that they allowed a late check out for me on saturday, other than that I would give it a miss next time, there are a lot of other hotels in the close vicinity that will roughly cost the same if booked in advance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Leolion13,
We appreciate your review and I am very sorry that you feel as though you aren’t receiving the same value you received prior to Loews taking the property over in February. While I understand your frustration, rest assured the two items you mentioned are still very much available. While, yes, we do charge for water, if you request turndown service, a bottle of water is available complimentary. I would strongly encourage you to join YourFirst, the Loews Hotels Guest Loyalty Program. By doing so, you will not have to request the service with each visit. Once you join, all you have to do is tell us once that you would like turndown, and you will receive turndown at every Loews hotel you stay at. Obviously, there are other great perks for being part of the program and this is just one of them.

As for the newspapers, in our lounge off the lobby, we carry all the same newspapers we had prior to conversion. Just let us know what paper(s) you would like delivered to your room and consider it done! This is actually part of our ‘Green’ initiative. I am sure you can relate to the amount of waste that is recycled daily when delivering newspapers to every room as the majority of guests will not take or use the newspaper and it goes directly into the garbage. Once we renovate early in 2013, there will be a beautiful credenza on each floor, near the elevator, so the newspapers will be readily available once you leave your room.

And, lastly, my apologies to your co-worker as it certainly wasn’t our intention to cause an inconvenience. It is standard procedure at any hotel to take authorization on a credit card for the total room and tax, plus a set amount for incidentals each day, so we can bill the card at the end of your stay. Please extend our most sincere apologies to your friend for us.

We hope you decide to stay with us again! In that regard, please email me directly at john.maibach@loewshotels.com so I may personally tend to your reservation.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is in a great part of Boston. The hotel itself, certainly from the perspective of the bedrooms, could do with a bit of modernisation and cheering up - the one I stayed in was certainly a bit dowdy (pale brown/green decor etc) and dated. The furniture was also a bit basic.
Aircon is a 'no go' unless you can sleep next to jet engines - luckily it wasn't a warm night, so no issue for me personally.
Nice and comfortable bed and so, all in all, great sleep quality.
The staff, and more specifically the guy who was on reception at 6am last Thursday (sorry I didn't catch his name) are tremendous! The ideal host who simply could not have been more friendly, polite, and eager to help. Such guys make a difference to jaded business travellers like me - give him a bonus and don't let him leave!

Dear Travellingdave0,
Thank you very much for your gracious comments about the staff and specifically, Robert, our Night Manager. We are very fortunate to have Robert on our team and I will share your comments not only with him, but with the rest of our team members. Thank you for taking the time to recognize his efforts. By the way, he was recently promoted to Night Manager as a result of the great work he does for us…a very well deserved promotion!

As Loews took over the property almost 3 months ago, there are plans for a multi-million dollar revitalization beginning later this year. All areas of the hotel will be revamped. We will remain operational during the work as it will take place during the slower time of year and there will be little to no impact on the guest experience.

Please let me know when your travel plans bring you back to Boston as I would like to personally thank you upon your next visit.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Service was amazing. The food in the bar is always great and the staff are all wonderful. Room was very noisy - aircon problem but to my delight the manager emailed me personally apologizing and asked me to contact him next time I come to Boston. Which I definitely will!

• Stayed April 2013
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last month while traveling for business (a fourth reservation was canceled as it coincided with the near-by Marathon explosions). This is one of several hotels available to my company for Boston visits. My first stay was pleasant and proved a much better hotel than a near-by Marriott that I had been staying previously. Yet, my second stay was disappointing as the room was drab, out-dated and I was woken several times during the night to the sound of a construction dumpster being emptied at an office building directly across the street. (I didn't notice the construction until early the next morning when I sat up in bed and saw a construction worker directly across the street from my bed with a clear view into my room.) I mentioned the interruption upon my check-out that morning and the lady at the desk responded "oh well next time ask for a room on the other side of the hotel". So I returned again and did request a room on the non-construction side of the hotel and was given yet another out-dated, drab room with hideously stained carpets and a crumbling shower shelf. I was shocked that this is the room given to a 3rd time returning corporate customer....very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear carla7979,

While very disappointing to read, thank you for taking the time to post a review. Although I wish I had the opportunity to address it personally, I certainly understand your frustration and can appreciation the reason for the post. While there isn’t much we can do about street noise, the uncaring response you received as you detailed is unacceptable. Equally as troubling for me is the condition of your guest room as it would appear by your comments that it wasn’t to the Loews standard. Please accept my most sincere apologies for these shortfalls. I will use your comments constructively and share with the team as part of our ongoing training to ensure they do not reoccur.

Loews bought the property on February 11, 2013 and recognizes the need to upgrade the facility. We do have plans to renovate (completion date is April 2014) including the lobby, restaurant/bar and all guest rooms. And while we are excited for what the future holds, there is no excuse for what you detailed as the condition of your guest room. I will work with our Housekeeping team to ensure we do a better job of meeting our guests' expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss further and can be reached at john.maibach@loewshotels.com.

Thank you.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I usually don't write reviews but I had to because this staff is absolutely phenomenal. I was going to meet my friends at the Boston Back Hotel on Marathon Monday for dinner. After the shocking events of the day unfolded the staff at the Boston Back Bay Hotel made our stay phenomenal. They didn't miss a beat in the middle of all the chaos, they made sure all the guests in the hotel were more than comfortable in Boston's time of need. I remember Trish Duffy was absolutely the most accommodating Professional Services Employee I've ever been witness too, and I've stayed at a lot of Hotels Downtown. This staff was put together by a great management team in my mind because they worked effortlessly to make sure everyone was not only cared for but also sensed they were safe. I will only stay at the Lowes Boston Back Bay Hotel when in Boston.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience in our hotel last week. We appreciate you taking the time to compliment the team and, in particular, Trish for their hard work on what was a very challenging and emotional day. We are fortunate to have a great bunch of professionals working for us that despite the horrible events of the day, kept their focus on taking care of our guests. And we thank you for noting it! We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Loews Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!