“Lost its charm after changing hands” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Loews Boston Hotel to your Saves list
Hotels.com Booking.com
Loews Boston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 Stuart St., Back Bay, Boston, MA 02116 (Formerly Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel) (Back Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Eat, Drink. Our Treat!
Ranked #19 of 77 hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Lost its charm after changing hands”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was my second visit to The Back Bay and since then Loews group took it over. Unfortunately all the nice little things that compensated for the not-so-great rooms etc are gone with the other group. Complimentary water bottles are gone (now $7 a bottle in the room), newspaper that was delivered to the door every morning is gone. Also for our whole reservation of 9 people, they held the full amount in my colleague's credit card, which triggered a fraud alert from her bank. The only good thing that happened was that they allowed a late check out for me on saturday, other than that I would give it a miss next time, there are a lot of other hotels in the close vicinity that will roughly cost the same if booked in advance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Leolion13,
We appreciate your review and I am very sorry that you feel as though you aren’t receiving the same value you received prior to Loews taking the property over in February. While I understand your frustration, rest assured the two items you mentioned are still very much available. While, yes, we do charge for water, if you request turndown service, a bottle of water is available complimentary. I would strongly encourage you to join YourFirst, the Loews Hotels Guest Loyalty Program. By doing so, you will not have to request the service with each visit. Once you join, all you have to do is tell us once that you would like turndown, and you will receive turndown at every Loews hotel you stay at. Obviously, there are other great perks for being part of the program and this is just one of them.

As for the newspapers, in our lounge off the lobby, we carry all the same newspapers we had prior to conversion. Just let us know what paper(s) you would like delivered to your room and consider it done! This is actually part of our ‘Green’ initiative. I am sure you can relate to the amount of waste that is recycled daily when delivering newspapers to every room as the majority of guests will not take or use the newspaper and it goes directly into the garbage. Once we renovate early in 2013, there will be a beautiful credenza on each floor, near the elevator, so the newspapers will be readily available once you leave your room.

And, lastly, my apologies to your co-worker as it certainly wasn’t our intention to cause an inconvenience. It is standard procedure at any hotel to take authorization on a credit card for the total room and tax, plus a set amount for incidentals each day, so we can bill the card at the end of your stay. Please extend our most sincere apologies to your friend for us.

We hope you decide to stay with us again! In that regard, please email me directly at john.maibach@loewshotels.com so I may personally tend to your reservation.

1,818 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is in a great part of Boston. The hotel itself, certainly from the perspective of the bedrooms, could do with a bit of modernisation and cheering up - the one I stayed in was certainly a bit dowdy (pale brown/green decor etc) and dated. The furniture was also a bit basic.
Aircon is a 'no go' unless you can sleep next to jet engines - luckily it wasn't a warm night, so no issue for me personally.
Nice and comfortable bed and so, all in all, great sleep quality.
The staff, and more specifically the guy who was on reception at 6am last Thursday (sorry I didn't catch his name) are tremendous! The ideal host who simply could not have been more friendly, polite, and eager to help. Such guys make a difference to jaded business travellers like me - give him a bonus and don't let him leave!

Dear Travellingdave0,
Thank you very much for your gracious comments about the staff and specifically, Robert, our Night Manager. We are very fortunate to have Robert on our team and I will share your comments not only with him, but with the rest of our team members. Thank you for taking the time to recognize his efforts. By the way, he was recently promoted to Night Manager as a result of the great work he does for us…a very well deserved promotion!

As Loews took over the property almost 3 months ago, there are plans for a multi-million dollar revitalization beginning later this year. All areas of the hotel will be revamped. We will remain operational during the work as it will take place during the slower time of year and there will be little to no impact on the guest experience.

Please let me know when your travel plans bring you back to Boston as I would like to personally thank you upon your next visit.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Service was amazing. The food in the bar is always great and the staff are all wonderful. Room was very noisy - aircon problem but to my delight the manager emailed me personally apologizing and asked me to contact him next time I come to Boston. Which I definitely will!

• Stayed April 2013
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last month while traveling for business (a fourth reservation was canceled as it coincided with the near-by Marathon explosions). This is one of several hotels available to my company for Boston visits. My first stay was pleasant and proved a much better hotel than a near-by Marriott that I had been staying previously. Yet, my second stay was disappointing as the room was drab, out-dated and I was woken several times during the night to the sound of a construction dumpster being emptied at an office building directly across the street. (I didn't notice the construction until early the next morning when I sat up in bed and saw a construction worker directly across the street from my bed with a clear view into my room.) I mentioned the interruption upon my check-out that morning and the lady at the desk responded "oh well next time ask for a room on the other side of the hotel". So I returned again and did request a room on the non-construction side of the hotel and was given yet another out-dated, drab room with hideously stained carpets and a crumbling shower shelf. I was shocked that this is the room given to a 3rd time returning corporate customer....very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear carla7979,

While very disappointing to read, thank you for taking the time to post a review. Although I wish I had the opportunity to address it personally, I certainly understand your frustration and can appreciation the reason for the post. While there isn’t much we can do about street noise, the uncaring response you received as you detailed is unacceptable. Equally as troubling for me is the condition of your guest room as it would appear by your comments that it wasn’t to the Loews standard. Please accept my most sincere apologies for these shortfalls. I will use your comments constructively and share with the team as part of our ongoing training to ensure they do not reoccur.

Loews bought the property on February 11, 2013 and recognizes the need to upgrade the facility. We do have plans to renovate (completion date is April 2014) including the lobby, restaurant/bar and all guest rooms. And while we are excited for what the future holds, there is no excuse for what you detailed as the condition of your guest room. I will work with our Housekeeping team to ensure we do a better job of meeting our guests' expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss further and can be reached at john.maibach@loewshotels.com.

Thank you.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I usually don't write reviews but I had to because this staff is absolutely phenomenal. I was going to meet my friends at the Boston Back Hotel on Marathon Monday for dinner. After the shocking events of the day unfolded the staff at the Boston Back Bay Hotel made our stay phenomenal. They didn't miss a beat in the middle of all the chaos, they made sure all the guests in the hotel were more than comfortable in Boston's time of need. I remember Trish Duffy was absolutely the most accommodating Professional Services Employee I've ever been witness too, and I've stayed at a lot of Hotels Downtown. This staff was put together by a great management team in my mind because they worked effortlessly to make sure everyone was not only cared for but also sensed they were safe. I will only stay at the Lowes Boston Back Bay Hotel when in Boston.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience in our hotel last week. We appreciate you taking the time to compliment the team and, in particular, Trish for their hard work on what was a very challenging and emotional day. We are fortunate to have a great bunch of professionals working for us that despite the horrible events of the day, kept their focus on taking care of our guests. And we thank you for noting it! We hope to see you again soon.
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had been planning this trip for sometime as a surprise for my husband's birthday. We arrived on April 16th, one day after the tragic events at the Boston Marathon.
We were welcomed warmly by all the staff as we checked in and as we had been travelling all day, they provided us with a brief update on the situation. Leah at the front desk was warm, wonderful and so helpful (Thank you so much) on directions and tips to everything.
This hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to just about everything.
We stayed in room 538 (corner room) the room was huge by hotel standards, the bed and pillows were the best ones we have slept on. The food in the bar was good and we ate there a few times, try the lobster roll it was very good. We tried the turkey BLT and the bread was rock hard, I wouldn't recommend this selection. The fish and chips were very good.
Heather at concerige was very helpful and arranged for us to have a late checkout. We asked her numerous questions about the subway system and she was extremely helpful.
I would recommend the Back Bay hotel to everyone and we can't wait to return to the hotel and this beautiful city. BE STRONG BOSTON!!!

Room Tip: Our corner suite was large. We were on the 5th floor overlooking the intersection of Stuart and Berk...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your very kind comments and I will be sure to share your feedback with not only Leah and Heather but our entire team. I also appreciate your comments on our food quality. Quite frankly, when Loews took over 2+ months ago, one of our primary initiatives was to improve the dining experience. We brought in an Executive Chef from the Loews Annapolis and Chef Olivier has done an incredible job of improving the food quality in a very short time.

There is no better feeling as a GM than to read that we have earned your loyalty as a result of our service delivery. We understand that you have many lodging options in our neighborhood and we do not take that for granted. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to seeing you again soon!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A weekend away and we found our favorite Boston hotels booked or too costly. We picked this well located hotel and got a good rate. But it's a little dated, a little worn, and room smelled stale. Not worth more than fair to middling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
While disappointing to read, I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experience. As Loews took over the property on February 11, 2013, we are in the midst of completing plans for a roughly $9 million renovation that will include enhancements to the lobby, a complete repositioning of the restaurant and bar, relocation of the entrance to the Berkeley Street side and a complete refresh of all guest rooms. We hope to begin the project late fall of this year and be complete by mid-April 2014. The hotel will continue to operate during renovation as there will be little to no disruption.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Loews Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!