“Average hotel stay during business travel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Boston Hotel

You added Loews Boston Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Boston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   154 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116 (Formerly Loews Boston Back Bay Hotel) (Back Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Beverages!
Ranked #15 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, PA
“Average hotel stay during business travel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last month while traveling for business (a fourth reservation was canceled as it coincided with the near-by Marathon explosions). This is one of several hotels available to my company for Boston visits. My first stay was pleasant and proved a much better hotel than a near-by Marriott that I had been staying previously. Yet, my second stay was disappointing as the room was drab, out-dated and I was woken several times during the night to the sound of a construction dumpster being emptied at an office building directly across the street. (I didn't notice the construction until early the next morning when I sat up in bed and saw a construction worker directly across the street from my bed with a clear view into my room.) I mentioned the interruption upon my check-out that morning and the lady at the desk responded "oh well next time ask for a room on the other side of the hotel". So I returned again and did request a room on the non-construction side of the hotel and was given yet another out-dated, drab room with hideously stained carpets and a crumbling shower shelf. I was shocked that this is the room given to a 3rd time returning corporate customer....very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear carla7979,

While very disappointing to read, thank you for taking the time to post a review. Although I wish I had the opportunity to address it personally, I certainly understand your frustration and can appreciation the reason for the post. While there isn’t much we can do about street noise, the uncaring response you received as you detailed is unacceptable. Equally as troubling for me is the condition of your guest room as it would appear by your comments that it wasn’t to the Loews standard. Please accept my most sincere apologies for these shortfalls. I will use your comments constructively and share with the team as part of our ongoing training to ensure they do not reoccur.

Loews bought the property on February 11, 2013 and recognizes the need to upgrade the facility. We do have plans to renovate (completion date is April 2014) including the lobby, restaurant/bar and all guest rooms. And while we are excited for what the future holds, there is no excuse for what you detailed as the condition of your guest room. I will work with our Housekeeping team to ensure we do a better job of meeting our guests' expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss further and can be reached at john.maibach@loewshotels.com.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I usually don't write reviews but I had to because this staff is absolutely phenomenal. I was going to meet my friends at the Boston Back Hotel on Marathon Monday for dinner. After the shocking events of the day unfolded the staff at the Boston Back Bay Hotel made our stay phenomenal. They didn't miss a beat in the middle of all the chaos, they made sure all the guests in the hotel were more than comfortable in Boston's time of need. I remember Trish Duffy was absolutely the most accommodating Professional Services Employee I've ever been witness too, and I've stayed at a lot of Hotels Downtown. This staff was put together by a great management team in my mind because they worked effortlessly to make sure everyone was not only cared for but also sensed they were safe. I will only stay at the Lowes Boston Back Bay Hotel when in Boston.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JMaibach, General Manager at Loews Boston Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your experience in our hotel last week. We appreciate you taking the time to compliment the team and, in particular, Trish for their hard work on what was a very challenging and emotional day. We are fortunate to have a great bunch of professionals working for us that despite the horrible events of the day, kept their focus on taking care of our guests. And we thank you for noting it! We hope to see you again soon.
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had been planning this trip for sometime as a surprise for my husband's birthday. We arrived on April 16th, one day after the tragic events at the Boston Marathon.
We were welcomed warmly by all the staff as we checked in and as we had been travelling all day, they provided us with a brief update on the situation. Leah at the front desk was warm, wonderful and so helpful (Thank you so much) on directions and tips to everything.
This hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to just about everything.
We stayed in room 538 (corner room) the room was huge by hotel standards, the bed and pillows were the best ones we have slept on. The food in the bar was good and we ate there a few times, try the lobster roll it was very good. We tried the turkey BLT and the bread was rock hard, I wouldn't recommend this selection. The fish and chips were very good.
Heather at concerige was very helpful and arranged for us to have a late checkout. We asked her numerous questions about the subway system and she was extremely helpful.
I would recommend the Back Bay hotel to everyone and we can't wait to return to the hotel and this beautiful city. BE STRONG BOSTON!!!

Room Tip: Our corner suite was large. We were on the 5th floor overlooking the intersection of Stuart and Berk...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your very kind comments and I will be sure to share your feedback with not only Leah and Heather but our entire team. I also appreciate your comments on our food quality. Quite frankly, when Loews took over 2+ months ago, one of our primary initiatives was to improve the dining experience. We brought in an Executive Chef from the Loews Annapolis and Chef Olivier has done an incredible job of improving the food quality in a very short time.

There is no better feeling as a GM than to read that we have earned your loyalty as a result of our service delivery. We understand that you have many lodging options in our neighborhood and we do not take that for granted. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to seeing you again soon!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A weekend away and we found our favorite Boston hotels booked or too costly. We picked this well located hotel and got a good rate. But it's a little dated, a little worn, and room smelled stale. Not worth more than fair to middling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
While disappointing to read, I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experience. As Loews took over the property on February 11, 2013, we are in the midst of completing plans for a roughly $9 million renovation that will include enhancements to the lobby, a complete repositioning of the restaurant and bar, relocation of the entrance to the Berkeley Street side and a complete refresh of all guest rooms. We hope to begin the project late fall of this year and be complete by mid-April 2014. The hotel will continue to operate during renovation as there will be little to no disruption.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My family and I stayed here for three nights while my wife ran the 2013 Boston Marathon. I never write reviews like this, and am doing so this time because the service they provided, before and after the explosions, was exemplary. I travel a lot for business, and have to say that the service in this place is really impressive. The Concierges (Heather and Nikki), the Valet (Johnny), and the Manager (Robert) all went above and beyond.

Before the explosions: We called ahead and Heather was great in helping us make dinner arrangements on late notice, given the marathon weekend. She knew the area well, and worked hard to find us openings at restaurants that fit our request. When we arrived, the Bellman (forgot his name) remembered our name, and called me by name the rest of the weekend. At check-in, we had a king bed reserved, but they found us a double queen room to accommodate our two kids. When my wife wanted to stay at the hotel for dinner the night before the race, they worked with us to cancel our Little Italy dinner reservation and get us into the hotel restaurant (which was excellent).

After the explosions: Our hotel was really well located for the marathon - just two blocks from the finish line. After the explosions, they immediately increased security. As events unfolded, they kept us informed of important information by slipping written notes from the manager under our door. Everyone, from the manager to the room service personnel was calm, professional, and went out of their way to help us get through the ordeal. i don't know if the people in this hotel are just especially incredible, or if Boston just has more than it's fair share of patriots, (I suspect the answer is both) - but we were amazed again and again by their patience, professionalism, and willingness to go above and beyond in difficult circumstances. Some guests were weeping, others were disoriented or looking for loved ones. The staff handled it all with grace and dignity.

Thank you Robert, Heather, Nikki, Johnny and all the rest. You are true patriots.

Sincerely, your guests in room 401.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of my team, thank you very much for your very gracious review. We will print and post on our Team Member bulletin board so all can read your kind comments. I consider myself very fortunate to work with a bunch of true professionals. The events of April 15 were difficult for all but I am extremely proud of how my team responded, as you mentioned, with patience, professionalism, and a willingness to go above and beyond. They kept their focus and made taking care of our guests their priorities, putting everything else aside.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a detailed account of your experience and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for four nights in April 2013 with an excellent Priceline rate.

First off, the staff. Every single employee we had contact with was friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely pleased to welcome us. Really. At front desk staff the evening we checked in - I can't remember her name, but the lovely woman who checked us in went out of her way to chat with my daughter and welcome her as well. During our stay, the bellhops, the housekeeping staff - everyone - was so lovely that coming back to the hotel really did feel like staying with friends.

We had a king superior room, smallish and not a great view, but very clean and generally well-appointed (the desk chair had clearly seen better days, but the mattress and pillows were comfy). The amenities of robes and towel warmer in the bathroom was a lovely 5* touch. Also, gotta say the motion-detector nightlight in the bathroom is brilliant. Just light enough to find your way, doesn't blind you, stays on long enough to get where you're going. Love it. Want one. The fridge in the room was great for us - no temptation of a minibar, and space to store kid snacks and leftovers. My only real complaint is that the windows were screwed shut, and it would have been nice to open even just an inch or so. The hvac was easy to control, but loud.

The location, just off Copley Square, was perfect for us. You're within walking distance of a ton (a ton!) of great restaurants, both on Newbury St., and on Tremont. The Flour bakery and cafe around the corner should not be missed-have the breakfast sandwich (you're welcome). Also easy to walk to a million sightseeing locations - the Public Gardens, the Common, about half of the Freedom Trail are all within a mile walk or so. Also, shopping ... for a little low-key retail therapy there is a Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls on Boylston a couple of blocks away, and of course there is high-end shopping on Newbury and in Copley Place.

We didn't eat at the hotel restaurants, but did order breakfast in the room and it was really good. The athletic center is tiny but did the job on a night when it was too late to run outside (though to be clear, this is a very safe neighborhood, i just wasn't up for it). If running is your thing, head over to the Esplanade and run along the Charles, or along Commonwealth Ave., or just through the neighborhoods. I'm a little biased because I grew up there, but it's an awesome running city.

So ... love the staff, would stay there again, a great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Stuart Street or Berkeley - the rooms on the back of the hotel are awfully clo...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Loews Boston Back Bay and found the hotel to be nicely situated and close to many attactions. The staff was extremely caring and gracious. Everyone we encountered was genuinely interested in our enjoying our stay from Heather at the Concierge desk prior to our arrival to Seth, Evan and Stephanie at reception as well as Seemant who we encountered several times and Deepak who greeted us upon arrival and wished us a safe journey when we left. They could not have been more helpful. We felt as though we were part of an extended family. Congratulations to Loews for hiring employees who understand customer service. We look forward to returning to Boston and the Loews Boston Back Bay very soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Loews Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!