“best bread!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 2,688 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Coffee & Tea
Description: They will make a sandwich on fresh baked Italian with any meat they have in the case...
Leawood, Kansas
“best bread!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

All the Tripadvisor reviews are correct. If you are from out of town and can't take back a lot of food.... do yourself a favor and buy a loaf of bread. We bought a loaf and walked around the North End just tearing off pieces of bread. It was a great treat!

Visited August 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Outstanding Italian Deli But Somewhat Pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This tiny little shop is a real hidden jewel, located right off of Hanover street. But size isn't all and this store definitely proves such as it packs some the finest ingredients and Italian delicacies I've been able to find since moving here.

The quality is top notch, along with the prices but it's just all so delicious that one can easily go on a nice little spending spree here: cured meats, pastas, breads, cookies, marinated vegetables, olives, oils, vinegars, dried fruits, cheeses and the list goes on and on...

They have it all. I've only been there once so far but already cannot wait to return! Got some delicious Kalamata olives, some marinated artichoke hearts, some prosciutto and some mortadella! They all so far have exceed my expectations greatly! And I've been to Italy, so as a reference, that ain't bad at all!

Just make sure you don't try and drive there, since it's in the North End. Instead opt to walk from Haymarket on the green line.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Helsingborg, Sweden
“little italy on the streets of boston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Good find. very friendly owner, who came and greeted us as soon as we walked through the door. what a character! we just settled for a simple pannini but i would have liked to have gone back to try their other offerings.

Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“If you have ever been to Italy and you miss it come here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having lived in Italy for three years I feel most Italian grocers, and restaurants in Boston do not live up to my expectations. That being said, I was craving speck one day and somehow I ended up on Salumeria Italiana's website. I was thrilled to find that it was here locally in Boston, where I now live, so of course I had to visit!

The first time I visited I noticed an older gentleman sitting in a chair at the entrance blowing kisses to every passerby. The men behind the counter, dressed in white, were having a conversation half in Italian and half in English with a customer. It appeared she, a nonna, was making her weekly stop by the Salumeria to purchase her necesities. She also needed to get to mass at the nearby church and was inquiring about leaving her items there to return later to pick them up.
The man who was helping her by ringing her up at the register was speaking to her in English as she spoke to him in Italian. To you, this might seem odd but to me this made me smile from ear to ear.

I wanted to spill every last word of Italian I knew in that very moment! With applied restraint I didn't but I did order speck not by the etti but by the pound. Speck, if you don't know what it is, is proscuitto's cousin that few know much about (smoked proscuitto). I turned around and noticed they had burrata waiting for fill my mouth with it's creamy deliciousness. Fresh baked bread was also nearby. I was in heaven! I purchased what I needed and left with a huge smile.

The next time I visited, again I ordered speck and bur rata which is flown in weekly from Puglia by the way, unlike the varieties you find at other Italian grocers which is actually made in the USA. Burrata if you don't know is mozarella's sister with a creamy center. Burrata literally means buttery or creamy as the cheese is smooth, creamy, and delicious. You will never want mozarella if you have burrata.

I tell everyone I know about Salumaria Italiana and if you are in the area I advice you to go as well. It is truly a REAL Italian grocery store.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“You must make this stop along the Freedom Trail!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

This Italian grocer along the Freedom Trail in Boston's little Italy is a must stop. The owner, with broken English, told us he started it 22 years ago. He kissed my wife's hand 4 times! Unbelievable panini for $7!

• Visited June 2013