“Friendly staff, awesome location, boutique hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Orange County, CA
“Friendly staff, awesome location, boutique hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

The Courtyard Copley Square is a fantastic find. This was my first stay and I’ll definitely return. This is a boutique hotel and a nice change from the corporate behemoth across the street. The property is also a nice change from the usual Courtyard “feel” because it’s not standard in any way. I was pleased that my room did not have the standard under the window Courtyard air-conditioning unit that blows too hard. The Courtyard Copley Square has the air-conditioning in ducts that are above head, which kept the room comfortable. I liked that I could open the windows about three inches, which allowed for fresh air to come into the room. My room faced another building, which provided additional quiet and privacy. The room was very quiet for the three days of my stay.

Other reviews note the advantageous location. I walked pretty much everywhere I needed to go, including over to Cambridge for appointments. When I wanted to take the T, I walked a few blocks to Copley Station. Added conveniences include a nearby Shaw’s supermarket, where I bought fresh foods, two drugstores, and many area restaurants. One night I met friends for a pint at the Irish pub around the corner where we sat at a table on the sidewalk.

Many reviewers complain about the size of the rooms. The rooms are small compared to most hotels in the U.S. I consider my room on the 7th floor to be standard for European hotels, and many hotels in New York City. However, I was comfortable as a single person. I imagine that it would be a tight fit for a couple.

The workspace was really nice and well lit. My room came with a comically over-sized flat-screen television. It was like being in a screening room, when compared to the size of the room.

There are drawbacks that are not deal-breakers, but worth noting. The lighting in my room did not extend to the entry, which is where the thermostat for the air-conditioning is located. Since I don’t travel with a flashlight, I had to use my cell phone to shine light on the thermostat in order to manage room temperature.

The big annoyance was the Internet speed. Internet is included in the room rate, but it was painfully slow. At times, plugging directly to Ethernet worked better than wireless. That was not, however, always the case. I’m not a heavy data user, but even simple browser tasks just wouldn’t work at particular times.

One other annoyance was that the advertised room rate that I book included “breakfast for two.” However, when I got my breakfast certificates they were “breakfast for one.” The problem was that, based on the advertised rate, I invited a business colleague to meet me for breakfast. Instead of fighting it, I made alternate plans elsewhere.

This hotel keeps a coffee and tea station in the lobby only in the morning. Most Courtyards have coffee and tea available throughout the day, which is a nice feature. I heard other guests asking about that on my first afternoon at the hotel. The desk agent referred the guest to the packet in his room. It would seem that providing coffee throughout the day would be a convenience that the hotel management would see as valuable to business customers. I’m surprised that this feature has been overlooked.

Most of the desk staff people were warm and inviting. The restaurant staff were particularly friendly and warm. Staff were readily accessible and easy to find because the hotel is small. I arrived very late so I called ahead from a connecting airport. Information on my arrival was properly relayed to the person attending the desk and I was expected when I arrived. That was a nice touch after a long day of connecting travel from the west coast.

I chose to stay at the Courtyard Copley Square because of the favorable rate I got on Marriott’s website. I’ll look forward to staying here again on future trips to Boston.

Room Tip: My room was quiet; it faced another building instead of the street.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I lived in Boston for 6 years and recently returned for a business meeting. This hotel is conveniently located. Walking distance to the Back Bay or Copley Square. The rooms are small, but pleasant. The front desk staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Olney, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

If you drive in, as we did keep, a good look out for the hotel as it has a small footprint and entrance is streetside. A very cordial staff. Room was on the small side but no surprise based on a city location, and the hotel was in a great location. We were within walking distance of tons of places to visit and eat at and near multiple subway stations. Great value in a central location with a very nice staff.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

The suite was spacious enough for 3 adults and an older child. While there was usual A/C noise level in the sitting room, the bedroom was silent. Staff was friendly and helpful. Facility was clean and well maintained. Only things I can think to recommend are upgrading the exercise room and discounts for overnight parking.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This is a typical Courtyard hotel - clean, comfortable bed, small room. The location is terrific - right near the mall and several blocks to the Commons & Newbury St. The best part of this particular Marriott Courtyard is their staff. From the front desk to the valet, everyone was friendly, helpful and professional; compliments to housekeeping as well. My only suggestion is to switch out the pulsating shower head, which doesn't work & just shoots water all over (what's with Marriott & their bad showerheads?) and replace it with a rain showerhead instead.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Began with Raphael the most friendly, professional and accommodating doorman/valet I've met. Rooms were very clean. My family had the 2 double beds which was decent in size for a city hotel, our travelling companions had a king which was quite small. Love the Copley area, lots of amazing restaurants in area and cleaner and more attractive then the historic area. Front desk/concierge was very helpful and patient in answering all my questions.

• Stayed August 2011
Burlington, VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stay in Boston every couple weeks, so I'm constantly staying at different hotels, but this is one I have stayed at twice and would again. I love boutique hotels, but the pricing is sometimes frustrating and I tend not to like huge traditional hotels, but this fits into a little of both. Didn't feel like I was staying at a Marriot, but didn't leave with $400 less dollars either. Clean enough. Amazing location. Great ramp for strollers and friendly staff. There are very few amenities though, so if you need a restaurant in your hotel, this isn't for you.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms ending in 01 are slightly bigger.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Boston Copley Square? Share your experiences!