“Love the Onyx” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle
“Love the Onyx”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

The Onyx hotel is a great place to stay in Boston. The hotel is a boutique style hotel like most Kimpton properties but what really made the difference was the staff. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. The rooms are a little smaller than I'm used to but they are nice. The view I had from my room wasn't so great though. Overall the hotel was very pleasant. I highly recommend

• Liked — The hotel staff
  • Disliked — Room could be bigger
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

833 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

This was the first time I chose to stay in a "boutique" hotel in Boston. We got what was supposed to be a great rate ($180) plus taxes and parking and ended up paying at over $240. The room was the smallest I have ever stayed in, and I have been traveling for 30 years. If you have read any other reviews on this site you will find reference to the maddening humming noise that actually made our room vibrate. The staff was over-friendly and the one hotel bar was closed for a private function. Complaints at checkout about the room size and noise were just ignored. Unless you are in town for a sporting event at the Fleet center you can do far better at hotels closer to Faniuel Hall.

• Liked — bedding
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake Tahoe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

We stayed four nights at this hotel. The location is great-close to the airport, North End, Faneul Hall, and T access. The rooms are a bit small but for the rate it was fine and comfortable for two of us. We also enjoyed the Ruby Room bar that they had in the lobby for a pre dinner cocktail.

Stayed February 2007
Coto De Caza, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2007

This was an okay hotel. I found the rooms to be very small and bathroom was tiny. It was very 'boutique' type hotel.More modern than I like. Lots and Lots of RED. I wouldn't think it would go over well with a hangover. I had an early flight out of the country so it wasn't an issue....The beds were comfortable, not ultra wonderful. I think I would probably like to stay somewhere else next time. I can't say I was so thrilled that i would go back. It was nice. Just nothing too special.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The street it was on
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Onyx overnight. If you are not familiar with Downtown Boston, you will have trouble with finding this Hotel. Upon arrival, the staff was very friendly. The room was an average size with a above average bathroom and a very comfortable bed. Overall, the Hotel is nice; however, if you stay on the weekend, and are a early riser like myself, find somewhere else to get coffee or have breakfast. Breakfast doesn’t begin until 8:30 on the weekends. It looked ok at best.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2007

Although the hotel itself appeared quite nice to begin with, we were met with problem after problem throughout our entire stay. Here were just some of the problems:
- There was an obvious sewage problem in the hotel causing a horrible smell of waste in our room in the evenings. We would come back to the room after being out and our entire room was overwhelmed by the smell.
- The bar staff were horrible. We went to the bar for a pint most nights and faced the same problem each night. The woman serving us was slow and most days, I believe, forgot that she was actually working. We would request our drinks and then just wait. On one night in particular, we asked for our bill three times over the course of an hour! Another night, there was a dj that set up in the bar (that just happened to be in the middle of the lobby) and they blasted music until the middle of the morning - It bothered us and we're 22!!
- The staff were consistently rude.
I would defintiely not recommend this hotel. It has mistakenly been given a 4 star rating.

• Disliked — The fact that our room smelled like feces!!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family in the states. We thought it was very reasonably priced and the room was a good size. The only negative was the area, but I guess that's why the rates weren't too bad.

We thought the staff were exceptional, nothing was too much trouble. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed December 2006

Been to Onyx Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!