“They were the best!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Reston, VA
“They were the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

We had the most interesting fourth of July visit to Boston and were treated exceptionally well by the staff at the Onyx. From the great conversations during wine hour to the generousity of the staff for some unusual requests, we were greeted with friendliness, generosity and entertainment on all fronts.

Our room was clean and the special 4th of July duck was an exceptional touch. The bathroom was spotless.

The staff also made some great recommendations for off-the-beaten-path restaurants and activities.

We had some issues with Internet access, but they were remedied in a timely manner, and the staff even followed up after the visit.

All in all, it was one of the most pleasant hotel experiences we have had in Boston. We will most likely stay in the Onyx the next time we trek up to Boston.

• Liked — The staff and the cool atmosphere
  • Disliked — The size of the wine area
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

Just returned 3 nights at The Onyx which included New Years Eve. First Night in Boston is a lot of fun.

Great service, clean, very dog friendly, walking distance to Freedom Trail and great North End Italian restaurants and cafes, close to the TD Banknorth aka new Boston Garden and North Station T stop, immediate neighborhood much improved since completion of Big Dig and new Garden.

Nice Kimpton touches like the evening wine/beer tasting with cheese and crackers. Knowledgable staff re restaurants etc. Had a delay in fetching car from parking garage at departure, but they volunteered to refund that day parking charge which you should know is a bit steep at $38/day, but thats not too unusual for city hotels.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

We have stayed in the Onyx several times when visiting Boston and I really like it. It is situated in the North End so we would have to hop in a cab to go downtown. Really modern hotel with very friendly staff. Only down side is they dont have a restaurant you can get bar food in the evenings and they do a buffet style breakfast in the bar area.
When we arrived to check in, it was too early and our room wasnt ready they had a room on a smoking floor, which as we were so tired we agreed to take but i wish we had of just waited it stunk of stale smoke!
The hotel also has a courtsey car in the morning time which would bring you down to the financal district.
Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
veek61
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

We stayed at the Onyx for two nights right before Christmas with our two teens (14 and 15). Since we were just passing through, we only rented a single room for the 4 of us (two double beds). The room was average-sized for a city hotel room (spacious by European standards). The beds were very comfortable - there was also a desk and sitting chair in the room, and a decent sized tv. We did not have wireless internet in the room. There was also a mini-bar/snack drawer. The room was perfectly clean.

The closet was weird enough to bear mentioning. It had an ironing board mounted in it and at least once the ironing board attacked us as we opened the closet door. It was odd because between the ironing board and the safe, there was almost nowhere to hang your clothes. This did not matter to us but it would matter to a business traveler I suspect.

The bathroom was quite spacious - a single room with commode, double sinks, and shower. There was no tub, just a walk-in shower. The shower had no door (just a curtain), its floor was just slightly slanted down and away from the bathroom floor so water drained naturally - but we still had a hard time keeping the water in the shower and so had a perpetual puddle on the tile outside the shower. Nothing a towel couldn't soak up. The main thing to note about the bathroom (besides the snappy leopard print chenille bathrobes, available for purchase) was that the floor was freezing. I mean c-o-l-d. Uncomfortably so. Bring slippers! We asked housekeeping for extra towels which she doled out generously so we had a little towel path running through the bathroom.

We went to the Ruby Room for breakfast on the first morning. It was $12 for only a moderately decent buffet. Only my daughter indulged and her review is: "meh". I had a cup of tea for $3. Right across the street from the hotel is an Au Bon Pain so the rest of us got our breakfast goodies there - but beware, for some reason that Au Bon Pain is only open Monday-Friday so when we walked over the second morning (Saturday) we were SOL. There is a complimentary wine hour in the Ruby Room late afternoons but we did not partake. Apparently dinner is served in the evenings but we were never there to check it out.

The hotel location is awesome. You are right down the street from the Garden (Fleet Center or whatever it is called these days) if you are there for a Celts or Bruins game you are in good shape. You are also easy walking distance to the North Station T stop. You can easily walk (4 blocks) to Fanueil Hall, Quincy Market - heck you're even closer to the North End where there is GREAT italian food (we ate at G'Vanni's and LOVED it). There had just been a snowstorm the day before we arrived and we're still calling these easy walks.

There are lots of cool bars and restaurants within a block of the hotel. We had a few pints at a pub just two doors down from the hotel - I can't remember the name! - but it had a nice atmosphere and good beer on tap and very friendly bartenders. Also, around the corner is a bar called The Fours on Canal Street (greatest sports bar for Boston fans - [--]) where we had lots of fun, good beer, good service, and all those friendly fans. We also grabbed some good old fashioned Boston pizza at Half-Time (also around the corner from the hotel).

All in all, we would definitely recommend the Onyx. We got the room through Hotwire and so the rate was decent considering the location and style of hotel ("boutique"). The staff at the hotel could not have been nicer. We fell in love with Boston all over again!!

• Liked — Location location location. And they are pet friendly.
  • Disliked — Cold bathroom floors
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

I went on a business trip to Boston and my employer forgot to book a room until I was on the bus up there! I had a penthouse room and the staff guessed my name since I arrived super late. The bathroom was very spacious and clean, and the room overall was spacious. The bed looked like a sofa bed and I was not to happy looking at it but I got WONDERFUL sleep on it. Definitely too much money for the room that night since I only stayed a few hours.

• Liked — Front desk staff, & the bathroom
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

I stayed at the Britney Spears Foundation Room which is a speciality suite that they have there (which will soon be closing) and the room was superb. This is a 5 star quality boutique hotel. The rooms were perfect and the bathrooms were as well. I cannot fault the room.

Checkin staff were very very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was superb. Service again was superb.

The location of the hotel is perfect, very near the subway and not too far from the freedom trail and right next to the basketball venue.

• Liked — Service, Rooms, Location
  • Disliked — Can be expensive depending on when you book
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

My Husband and I went to Boston from Nov 22-24, 2007.

We had never been to Boston, and I booked this hotel because it looked like something different than your typical franchise hotels, I thought it would make our trip special, and memorable.

We booked our room through the hotel, and we had a king bed room, their most simple room. We were planning on doing a lot of sightseeing, and thus not spending a lot of time in our room, so we didn't see a point in getting a fancier room.

Before our trip we had some plans of what we wanted to do, but I still wanted to talk to someone to get an idea of the best tourist attractions to see in Boston. I decided to call the hotel concierge to get his opinions. I was so delighted to talk to him, he was very patient, gave us a lot of great tips, and spent about half an hour with me on the phone. He even informed me that we could book Boston Trolley Tour Tickets at the hotel, which we did.

Upon arriving at the Onyx we were greeted by the valet, it costs $38 per night to park at the hotel, and it takes 25-30 mins to get our car out of the garage. The valet helped us with our luggage, and we were checked into our room in about 2 minutes.

My first impressions were good, the hotel was clean, trendy looking, and had a nice vibe, however, the lobby is very small, so if we were to have checked in during a busy time we would have been quite cramped in the lobby.

When we entered our room, it was reminiscent of the lobby. Decorated in red, black and white colors, and had a very trendy vibe. I liked the decor very much, it was very different. The room was very small, my husband was not happy about that, but I found the room to be very cosy. The minibar was great, and they had a lot of great items in there. We were also very easily able to log into the hotel internet, that was a big help for us, and we were very pleased to have it. The room was very clean, and the bed was super comfortable, although I did wish that we had an extra blanket. The TV worked well, and had all the typical channels.

The bathroom was also very nice, and they had Aveda products in there. The shower was ok, the water pressure could have been better, and it wasn't very clean, that really bothered me. Otherwise there were plenty of towels and the fun robes were great! One other downside about the hotel was that we could hear a lot of noises within the hotel. Our room was near the elevators, and we could hear them open, we could hear people walking in the halls, and we could hear people in adjacent rooms.

On the whole we liked staying at this hotel, we loved the location, its close to everything. In addition, the staff was wonderful, they will bend over backwards to makesure you're happy. The service is quick, and friendly. Actually, we wanted to go see the Blue Man Group, and the front desk clerk tried to help us get tickets, and I also got cold, one night, so I ordered another blanket, it was in our room in 10 minutes.

A side tip, we ate breakfast in the Ruby Room, it was $13 per person, and they added 18% gratuity, and I thought that was a lot considering there wasn't really a waiter who waited on us, its a [--] buffet. We ended up spending over $30 for our breakfast, which I thought was a total rip off, they had the cheap run-of-the-mill scrabbled eggs, cold hash browns, and then everything else was continetal. I was not impressed. We did not eat there again. I would highly recommend eating at a diner, or even Burger King around the corner. Also, there were a few homeless people around, and that was good, and the hotel is a bit off the main roads.

I would stay there again, but if I were going back to Boston I would probably try something new, just to see what else was out there.

• Liked — The Staff, decor, proximity to everything
  • Disliked — The Noise, and size of the room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Onyx Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!