“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Save Saved
You added Hotel Commonwealth to your Saves list
Hotel Commonwealth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215 (Fenway / Kenmore)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Summer Stay Longer Promo
Ranked #1 of 77 hotels in Boston
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Wonderful hotel, very accommodating. I stayed mid-week so they upgraded me. The rooms are beautifully decorated, very quiet despite its location, and a pleasure to stay in. I always stay here if I can when I come in to Boston. A great experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear JP78Travels,

Thank you for making Hotel Commonwealth your home when visiting Boston. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the location, décor and quiet atmosphere. Hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,

smcweeny@hotelcommonwealth.com

2,599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Great location. Close to the T, as in you come up the stairs make a quick right and you're at the front door. There's a Starbucks and Dukins right there. You can see Fenway from the hotel and it's walkable even in November to the Commons if your up for it. We did quite a bit of walking because we like exploring new cities that way even though it was in the 30's. They held our bags on the front and back end of our trip. Room was nice, no coffee and there's a mini fridge but it's loaded and if you take anything out they charge you. No issues, it was good stay.

Room Tip: The view of the park also means overlooking the freeway but I didn't mind :-)
Dear Sdblue,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the location and were able to explore Boston. We do offer complimentary coffee makers and refrigerators for our guests. I would be happy to make a note to your reservation profile so these items are placed in your room prior to arrival. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Warm Regards,

smcweeny@hotelcommonwealth.com
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel is nice with an excellent room and great location. The room was large, comfortable and clean. All the staff was very helpful, but I had some problems with the internet - I spent almost one hour trying to fix it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Lopes_J2013,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay. I do apologize that you had trouble connecting to our internet service. We hope to see you again soon.

Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Lets break it down, shall we?

Location:
* Great if you are a baseball fan esp. Red Sox. Fenway was just around the corner, great view of it from certain rooms
* Subway (green line) was right there. The entrance was a few steps from the hotel door

Room:
* We had a double-bed room. It was nice and spacious. The negative thing about it was this constant noise. I think because it was on the 2nd floor right by the roof top, so there was heater/fan unit making that noise. It was annoying and hard to sleep. We mentioned it to the front desk the next morning but nothing was done. We were there for 3 nights. When we checked out, we mentioned it to the assistant manager. He apologized and said they would make it up to us next time if we stay with them again. If if it wasn't for the noise, it would deserve 5 stars!

Restaurants:
* There are 2 great restaurants on site
1) Island Greek Oysters. We were just gonna have some oysters and drinks. We ended up having dinner there. Glad we did. The food was excellent. It got crowded as soon as it was opened for dinner at 5. People kept coming in and the wait at one point was over an hour. Therefore, a Must try!
2) Eastern Standard. We ordered desserts to our room 2 nights in a row. Everything was so delicious. We decided to at least eat there before we left. So we settled for lunch. Again, good decision! Hate to repeat myself but another Must try!

Oh another plus... FREE WI-FI in the room :-)

Room Tip: * try to avoid 2nd floor * call the hotel before arriving with your needs, they are pretty accomm...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mai M,

Thank you very much for a break down of your stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and also to read all of your positive remarks. I do apologize about the noise you experienced in your room. Please contact me at your earliest convenience as I would like to discuss this matter further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2013 while speaking at a conference at BU. They gave me a free upgrade to a junior suite, which was extremely spacious, and (on the top floor) relatively quiet even though it had terrific views of Commonwealth Ave. (The traffic noise was much less than one would expect.) The decor was perhaps a little old-fashioned but very comfortable, and included a nice wooden desk (along with some books of local Boston interest, which were chosen well). The temperature in the room was a little hard to adjust and my shower had a slow drain, but the latter problem was addressed promptly when I called the front desk about it.

My only substantive complaint about this hotel is this: if you offer room service, you have to actually deliver it. On the morning of my presentation at BU, I knew time would be tight so I signed up for the (typically overpriced, but worth it, I thought) room service breakfast. It said put out your card by 2am; mine was out by midnight. But in the morning, no breakfast appeared and it turned out that nobody had bothered to pick up my card! I called the kitchen and they were apologetic, but by that point it was too late to do anything about it, so I just had to skip breakfast. Note to hotel: you don't have to offer room service breakfast, but if you do offer it, you need to follow through.

Room Tip: My 5th floor room (the top floor) was pretty quiet; I'd try to get a high floor to avoid street...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear J R,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our room product and decor. I am sorry about the opportunity you experienced with your room service order. I understand how this negatively affected your stay. Concerns with this incident have been discussed with our in room dining team. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Melbourne, Florida, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is a great location for access to various parts of the city because of proximity to public transportation. We were there to visit a BU student and go to a BC football game.

The rooms were clean and very comfortable...the staff very attentive to our every need.

We booked through Orbitz and had a decent rate for a November weekend.

We would definitely stay there again,

Dear Bonnie J B,

Kenmore Square is a perfect location for what you were in town for. We hope you will join us again soon.

So. CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 2 nights at this charming hotel. From the valet, to the doormen, the front desk and the housekeeping staff-everyone was SO nice!! What a wonderful find. We travel all over the world and this staff would be hard to beat. Our room was well furnished, nicely lit, comfy bed and to be upstairs from the AMAZING Island Creek Oyster restaurant, life just does not get any better. Not to mention the awesome bar off the main entrance, "The Hawthorne". That's another review, but don't miss it. Extraordinary.

Dear nkelliher,

Our staff prides themselves on the level of service that they provide. I am thrilled that you were able to witness this first hand. We are very fortunate to have three wonderful food and beverage outlets located right here on property. I hope you and your husband will join us again soon.

Best,

Smcweeny@hotelcommonwealth.com

Been to Hotel Commonwealth? Share your experiences!