“Great location and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

You added Hotel Commonwealth to your Saves list
Hotel Commonwealth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215 (Fenway / Kenmore)   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Boston
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great location and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel is nice with an excellent room and great location. The room was large, comfortable and clean. All the staff was very helpful, but I had some problems with the internet - I spent almost one hour trying to fix it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Lopes_J2013,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay. I do apologize that you had trouble connecting to our internet service. We hope to see you again soon.

Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Lets break it down, shall we?

Location:
* Great if you are a baseball fan esp. Red Sox. Fenway was just around the corner, great view of it from certain rooms
* Subway (green line) was right there. The entrance was a few steps from the hotel door

Room:
* We had a double-bed room. It was nice and spacious. The negative thing about it was this constant noise. I think because it was on the 2nd floor right by the roof top, so there was heater/fan unit making that noise. It was annoying and hard to sleep. We mentioned it to the front desk the next morning but nothing was done. We were there for 3 nights. When we checked out, we mentioned it to the assistant manager. He apologized and said they would make it up to us next time if we stay with them again. If if it wasn't for the noise, it would deserve 5 stars!

Restaurants:
* There are 2 great restaurants on site
1) Island Greek Oysters. We were just gonna have some oysters and drinks. We ended up having dinner there. Glad we did. The food was excellent. It got crowded as soon as it was opened for dinner at 5. People kept coming in and the wait at one point was over an hour. Therefore, a Must try!
2) Eastern Standard. We ordered desserts to our room 2 nights in a row. Everything was so delicious. We decided to at least eat there before we left. So we settled for lunch. Again, good decision! Hate to repeat myself but another Must try!

Oh another plus... FREE WI-FI in the room :-)

Room Tip: * try to avoid 2nd floor * call the hotel before arriving with your needs, they are pretty accomm...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mai M,

Thank you very much for a break down of your stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and also to read all of your positive remarks. I do apologize about the noise you experienced in your room. Please contact me at your earliest convenience as I would like to discuss this matter further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2013 while speaking at a conference at BU. They gave me a free upgrade to a junior suite, which was extremely spacious, and (on the top floor) relatively quiet even though it had terrific views of Commonwealth Ave. (The traffic noise was much less than one would expect.) The decor was perhaps a little old-fashioned but very comfortable, and included a nice wooden desk (along with some books of local Boston interest, which were chosen well). The temperature in the room was a little hard to adjust and my shower had a slow drain, but the latter problem was addressed promptly when I called the front desk about it.

My only substantive complaint about this hotel is this: if you offer room service, you have to actually deliver it. On the morning of my presentation at BU, I knew time would be tight so I signed up for the (typically overpriced, but worth it, I thought) room service breakfast. It said put out your card by 2am; mine was out by midnight. But in the morning, no breakfast appeared and it turned out that nobody had bothered to pick up my card! I called the kitchen and they were apologetic, but by that point it was too late to do anything about it, so I just had to skip breakfast. Note to hotel: you don't have to offer room service breakfast, but if you do offer it, you need to follow through.

Room Tip: My 5th floor room (the top floor) was pretty quiet; I'd try to get a high floor to avoid street...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear J R,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our room product and decor. I am sorry about the opportunity you experienced with your room service order. I understand how this negatively affected your stay. Concerns with this incident have been discussed with our in room dining team. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Melbourne, Florida, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is a great location for access to various parts of the city because of proximity to public transportation. We were there to visit a BU student and go to a BC football game.

The rooms were clean and very comfortable...the staff very attentive to our every need.

We booked through Orbitz and had a decent rate for a November weekend.

We would definitely stay there again,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bonnie J B,

Kenmore Square is a perfect location for what you were in town for. We hope you will join us again soon.

So. CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 2 nights at this charming hotel. From the valet, to the doormen, the front desk and the housekeeping staff-everyone was SO nice!! What a wonderful find. We travel all over the world and this staff would be hard to beat. Our room was well furnished, nicely lit, comfy bed and to be upstairs from the AMAZING Island Creek Oyster restaurant, life just does not get any better. Not to mention the awesome bar off the main entrance, "The Hawthorne". That's another review, but don't miss it. Extraordinary.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear nkelliher,

Our staff prides themselves on the level of service that they provide. I am thrilled that you were able to witness this first hand. We are very fortunate to have three wonderful food and beverage outlets located right here on property. I hope you and your husband will join us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Great Experience. One of the best Hotels I ever stayed. Good Room Size, Bed. Great Service, free WIFI to unlimited devices...
Subway Station on site, very easy to go to all places in Boston. I definetly recommend this Hotel.
It was an unique experience.

Room Tip: All Rooms are great
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lamesquita,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about so many different aspects of your stay. I am trilled that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again soon.

COLUMBUS OHIO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Look - a hotel has to be more than just a lockable room to snooze in when sleepy, but let's get that over with first as it's the only wholly positive aspect of this review.
The room was spacious, relatively quiet, comfortable and clean.
The bed was oversized and welcoming and i got a good night's sleep.
WiFI was included in room rate and easy to log into from multiple devices which was a welcome change, and the hotel staff really did make their best efforts to be helpful. But not always effectively.

Having the door shut in my face by the doorman wasn't especially welcoming, nor did he seem to comprehend he had done it. Valet car parking was nice, but once you're 'inside the lockup' getting out again wasn't easy.

And you HAVE to get out - there's no little hotel shop for convenience like most hotels have, - one has to go brave the inner-city street up to a nearby CVS to get anything INCLUDING something as basic as a bottle of water (none in room/none at desk) - and ditto for the restaurants - both required exit onto the street and navigating thru a sea of panhandlers.

I've been to 3rd world countries where the level of begging was less than outside this hotel.
If the management actually cared about their guests - they could have such folks moved along.
Since the 'gimme-gimme' crowd were so thick on the scene the 3-4 times i went outside, one has to wonder.

There WERE stores in the vicinity - and navigable without fear of footpads and cutpurses....but they were high end jewelry and similar types. Even the taxicab driver warned us not to hang about on the sidewalk outside the hotel, as it 'wasn't nice after dark'.

Hmmm.

Now, you might say that the above criticisms could be leveled at any hotel with an innercity locale, but I've stayed at Boston Omni Parker House, and Boston Park Plaza recently and never once felt like i was in the 'live with amenities in the hotel or risk your well being on the street' that i did here.

I'm sure there are people who will love this place because it has the appearance of luxury.
The fac is that if some-one took a Red Roof Inn and dropped it next to Fenway Park, the resultant hotel would be the same, - and likely the rates would be lower.

As always - just my honest opinion....next time I'm going back to Park Plaza.
Some-body told me there are good rates available for this property on Hotwire.
Honestly - if you want to try this place for yourself - check it out that way first.
Travel Well!