“I loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

You added Hotel Commonwealth to your Saves list
Hotel Commonwealth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215 (Fenway / Kenmore)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Easthampton, Massachusetts
“I loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Picked this hotel because we were going to a concert at the House of Blues. Stayed in a room that had two queen beds. Room and bathroom was larger then expected. They also had items in the room that was totally unexpected but welcomed. They had an iPod/iPhone player with a control unit that was a clock/alarm. They also had a charging pad for your iPhone and and other connections. I was able to charge my iPod, phone and video camera. Bathroom was a good size and had a nice flat screen TV. Beds were very comfortable and plenty of pillows.

Hotel also had two restaurants attached to property along with some shops and gallery on bottom floor. Front desk offered us a mini-fridge as we brought a cooler.

Check out was at 12. I can't remember the last hotel that had a check-out as late as 12PM. Hotel had a lot of little things that you wouldn't expect but would want. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Mike W,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback about your recent stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed all of the amenities present in our rooms. I hope you had a great time at the House of Blues and we hope to welcome you back for another concert in the future.

Best regards,

smcweeny@hotelcommonwealth.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a boutique style hotel and I think housekeeping needs some work. on my first night, I thought I saw a huge bug in my washroom which turned out to be a big clump of hair (that wasn't mine). when I stepped out of the shower the next morning, I saw there was no body lotion. when I asked for some at the front desk on my way out, the clerk asked me whether there was any left in the room to which I replied, no. she said she will send some. that night, I wanted to take a quick shower and noticed I didn't have any shower caps. again, I called and they said they will send some up. whenever I asked for something, they were polite but they never apologized for screwing up in the first place. I don't like to waste my time this way. and I ended up having to thank them each time for something they should have given me in the first instance. my conclusion was that housekeeping needs some work.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Crtistal L,

I want to apologize about the opportunities you encountered with our housekeeping service. I can assure you that this is well below our standards. Please contact me directly at your earliest convenience and we can discuss this matter further. I look forward to speaking with you.

Warm regards,

Barrington, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My Wife and I have been staying at the Hotel Commonwealth for the last several years. Starting when my daughter moved to Boston to attend Emmanuel College. After graduating in 2010, my daughter stayed in Boston to work and even now when visiting her our preferred hotel is the Hotel Commonwealth. It is an excellent choice because of it's location, cleanliness, amenities and very friendly & helpful staff. We very highly recommend this first class hotel. So much to do in the immediate area - from shopping to excellent resturants. And Best of all, that great American icon, Fenway Park, is an easy 5 minute walk away.

Joe & Janie Dias
Barrington, RI

Room Tip: Pick a Commonwealth Room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Joe & Janie Dias,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to Hotel Commonwealth, it is truly appreciated. It is very exciting that your daughter has chosen to stay in Boston and we look forward to having you and your wife stay with us for years to come. Thanks again!

All the best,

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our 12th trip to the Hotel Commonwealth. From the very personable doorman Nick who took care of our car to Katy who upgraded our room, we had a wonderful restful afternoon followed by dinner at the marvelous Oyster Bar. When we returned after a great hockey game at TD Bank North, our room had been prepared by a lovely turn down. Breakfast by the superb staff topped off our visit. Between Bruins, Red Sox games and cultural events, this has truly become our "home away from home."

Room Tip: Top Floor gives you peace and quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear tedhistroy,

Thank you for sharing yet another wonderful review of your experience at The Hotel Commonwealth. We are honored that you have chosen to stay with us on so many occasions and are thankful for your loyalty. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

N Ireland

Stayed here for 6 nights over new year and what a place

From the moment we arrived until we left the service was exceptional.

We had a very large room facing the street but there was no traffic noise.
Bathroom was very roomy and plenty of wardrobe space
We also had a sitting area with two easy chairs and desk with chair

The reception staff are so friendly and helpful - their job appears to be a joy to them

My husband had a special birthday around the time we were there and they certainly made his time very special.

There is a subway station right next door which is very convenient and hotel located in a lovely area - away from city centre but still so so convenient to everything.

An excellent hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear rivercross,

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a kind review. I am thrilled we were able to make your husband’s birthday a memorable one. We love being able to provide the few extra touches during special occasions. Please come stay with us again when you come back to Boston.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Look no further. This group has the hotel business figured out! From the moment we arrived, the bellmen were delightfull, check-in was too easy thanks to friendly, knowledgable greeters and clerks. Hotel is spacious, clean and beautifully decorated. Rooms are very nicely adorned, beds are superb! we love the location. The two restaurants are delicious. Top to bottom, the pinnacle of hotel experiences. Enjoy!
BC

• Stayed March 2013
Dear kuntryman,

We are honored to be your new “home away from home”. I am thrilled you enjoyed all aspects of your stay while you were here with us. We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in Boston.

Regards,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I found the hotel's handling of my late check out request very upsetting. I was attending a course at Boston University. I am from Canada and had arranged for my partner to join me on my last night. I had asked as soon as I checked in if I can get a late checkout on my last day and was told I had to call back on the last day but based on my other travels, I assumed this wouldn't be a problem. we ended up having a late night and I called front desk at 7:40 am asking for a late check out. the front desk clerk flat out said no based on their expected occupancy. when I pressed her to give me even a slightly later check out, she passed me over to her manager whose manner I found atrocious. he didn't even acknowledge my request and simply said he could not accomodate me. my course ended at 12:30 pm so at the end, I asked if I could get a 45 minute delay in my check out and he simply said no and that the hotel was full. there was no empathy or concern or even feigned care in his voice. he then asked me what time I was hoping to check out and when I said 3 pm, he said he could do it and charge me a 1/2 day rate. I was flabbergasted by what I found to be dishonesty on his part. he first said he couldn't accomodate me because the hotel was full and then he said he could if I paid for 1/2 the night's rate. I was on business and could have paid for the additional time but by that point, I was left with such a bad feeling that I just wanted to leave. the next day, I thought I lost my passport. I called the hotel and asked them to check the room I was in and guess what I was told? I was told that my room was empty. so, it confirmed all my negative feelings about the hotel's handling of my late check out request. they simply did not care about my request or the impact it would have on my experience the last day. I was attending a course with 48 other lawyers and I found out that a few others had requested a late checkout. they only allowed it for one person and it was only for 45 minutes. I am just shocked at how poorly they treated me. I am a fairly experienced traveler and I have read many reviews on tripadvisor but this is the very first one I have posted.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ellie114,

I am deeply sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations, and we were unable to honor your late checkout request. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

smcweeny@hotelcommonwealth.com

Been to Hotel Commonwealth? Share your experiences!