“Could be the best service ever.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Save Saved
You added Hotel Commonwealth to your Saves list
Hotel Commonwealth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215 (Fenway / Kenmore)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Lancaster, New Hampshire
“Could be the best service ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

As someone who has been in the hotel business all my life including several upper management positions with Marriott, I have a keen eye for the details. And as anyone else in our business would tell you, nobody is more critical of a hotel's operations, cleanliness and service, than ourselves. Well, there is a reason this hotel is rated #1 in the area on Tripadvisor.

Starting with our doorman's greeting upon arrival, then on to our bellman, to the front desk and dining staff, the service was as good as anything I've experienced anywhere in my life. And hats off to the interior designers. The guest rooms and public spaces are absolutely beautiful, with eye-popping colors and decor accented by thoughtful lighting throughout the building.

We had breakfast the morning of departure and my wife ordered their french toast, which looked absolutely delicious. She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, so with the caramel banana toppings she wasn't a big fan, so she passed her dish to her brother and I who did everything we could to avoid polishing off the entire thing on top of our own meals....we came close because it was YUMMY! When the waitress came with the bill, she told my wife that she removed the french toast from the bill because she noticed that she didn't like it. We said to our waitress, "that's OK, we still ate most of it" and her response was "that doesn't matter, what matters is that she wasn't happy with her meal and should not be charged for it." Wow.

At checkout I mentioned to the front desk agent how "wowed" we all were with the hotel and the service. Less than fifteen minutes later I received an email from their manager thanking us for staying and for the positive feedback upon checkout. Again, wow.

The amazing staff, the great service and culture at this hotel clearly indicates it is run by an exceptional general manager and management team. I know how critical the hiring and training process is to the success of a hotel, and obviously it is all taken very seriously by this team of professionals. Most large hotel companies like Marriott and Hilton have incredible resources and processes for training, hiring, service delivery, etc. What impresses me most is that they are doing it as well if not better than the "big boys" as an independently managed hotel. KUDOS!!!

Thanks again for a wonderful experience. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
North Wildwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I had a choice of a two room suite or one room with a view of Fenway for the same price. The view was nice, but I took the two room suite. It actually wasn't two rooms, just two living areas divided by drapes. Everything you would expect from a luxury hotel -- two flat screens; fluffy 8" pillows, granite countertop and quite expensive (~$230 with a corporate discount). Two things stood out. 1. There was no bible in the room. 2. They didn't have free samples of shampoo, conditioner, etc. But they did have a "beauty bar" in the room and you could purchase 2 oz containers of fancy lotions and shampoo etal for $20-30. No kidding. When I saw that, I knew the place was too fancy for me. I guess rich folk have that kind of money to throw around.

Room Tip: Pick the two-room suites, unless you're a big baseball fan who wants to see Fenway Park. If so...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
FrontOfficeManagerHC, Front of House Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear "MovieGlue",

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review about your recent stay with us in Boston!! I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Commonwealth Junior Suites on your past stay with us. We frequently hear how large and inviting our Junior Suites are, and is very nice to hear that you enjoyed the room as well!!

For future reference, I wanted to also mention that we do provide complimentary shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel in each room, which is supplied by the brand Fresh ®, we continually hear wonderful feedback about our in room bath products. In each room we also offer the chance to purchase Fresh ® brand full size bath prodcuts to bring home for your convenience.

Please feel free to email me at rburns@hotelcommonwealth.com and I would be more then happy to send you a few Fresh ® sample products!! Again, thank you for your feeback on your stay with us and we look forward to serving you in the future!!

Warmest Regards,

Ryan E Burns
Front of House Manager
Hotel Commonwealth
rburns@hotelcommonwealth.com
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stay here all the time, sometimes with our children and grandchildren, and there isn't a better place to stay in Boston. The hotel is truly luxurious and we've always had fabulous experiences. Room service is terrific and fast, the sheets and amenities cannot be beat, and everyone who works here is wonderful. It's one of our favorite hotels anywhere. We are often upgraded and no rquest to the staff is ever refused.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Clackmannan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

This visit showed the value of Tripadvisor. We chose the hotel on the strength of the rating and reviews. They were accurate in all respects and we really enjoyed the experience of staying there. We upgraded to a wonderful 2 room suite which afforded time to relax. On the 3rd night we were checking guidebooks for places to dine when we noted that the Creek Oyster Bar in the Hotel Commonwealth was actually rated number one by Tripadvisor. 100% deserved with great food, wine and atmosphere. One of the best Oyster Bar experiences anywhere.

• Stayed November 2011
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My husband and I booked this trip for our 8th anniversary and it was amazing. Upon arrival, there was a card, box of truffles and a bottle of champagne on our bed. The room was spacious and decorated nicely. The bed was so comfy and everything was super clean. It was a perfect getaway for us. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Recently stayed at hotel for a short business trip. Was unable to do any sightseeing due to the weather, which was snowing, and therefore was forced to spend more time than normal within the confines of my hotel. Pleased to say it was superb. All amenities catered for my needs and would certainly use again if possible.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

This was the perfect night in Boston. Beautiful, unique accommodations. Courteous and helpful staff from the front door, to the desk staff, to the concierge, all were welcoming, friendly and excited to help you enjoy your stay. This was the best hotel to spend the night in Boston, I wish it were more! Will definitely come back to the Hotel Commonwealth on our next trip!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Commonwealth? Share your experiences!