“Believe the Hype: A Great Weekend Get-A-Way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Save Saved
You added Hotel Commonwealth to your Saves list
Hotel Commonwealth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215 (Fenway / Kenmore)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Summer Stay Longer Promo
Ranked #1 of 77 hotels in Boston
Boston
“Believe the Hype: A Great Weekend Get-A-Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My DH and I recently spent two nights at this hotel to celebrate a special occasion. The location is very convenient, the green line Kenmore stop is literally below the hotel. This enables one easy access to the T and travel around the city. We arrived a ½ hour before check-in and were offered a cup of hot apple cider. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that not only was our room ready but that we had been given an upgrade to a suite overlooking Kenmore square.

Room: The room was huge and beautiful with a heavy curtain to separate the comfy king-sized bed from the living area. We loved the two comfy chairs and ottoman, a nice desk, and flat screen tv. (There are actually two, one is in the bedroom, too). We were given a complimentary bottle of wine and some delicious chocolate truffles in our room so we decided to enjoy that and watch some Saturday college football before we headed out for the night. At first, I couldn’t get the television to work but one quick call down to the front desk, and the problem was solved. The curtain between the two rooms blocked off any leaking light from the front curtains and we loved the “cave” feeling….love complete darkness to sleep. The room also had a universal IPod player with remote so you could control it from your bed if need be. The bathroom was immaculate with a nice size tub and wonderful “Fresh” products. The toilet had its separate room which was nice for getting ready when we both needed to use the bathroom. Shower pressure was great but watch out for that water, it could get really hot! The only complaint was they only provided one robe while there were two of us in the room but not a big deal. There was a safe in the closet albeit not very large. Also, an umbrella was available if you needed to use it. Turn down service is provided (they ask at check-in if you want it) and they leave you some nice chocolates.

Staff: We cannot say enough about the staff that works here. They were one of the nicest front desk staffs I have even come into contact with. Any question we had was met with sincere assistance.

Restaurant: We ate a late night meal and later a late lunch at one of their restaurants, The Eastern Standard. Being locals, we had dined here before and really enjoyed it but my DH loved it this time around. He had a prosciutto sandwich which he claimed is “one of the best sandwiches” that he has ever had (hence why we returned for a late lunch). Saturday night was packed and we hung out in the bar. I noticed a bar table had been open for a while, and when I went to the host stand, she was more than happy to seat us there. Our server was excellent (can’t remember her name, sorry) despite the huge crowd and later hour.

Location: As mentioned, the T stop is right there….a major plus. Also, we were easily able to walk down to the Newbury Street area and the Boston Common. We had unusually warm November weather and many were taking advantage of it by walking around. Saturday night we took in a show at The House of Blues which is literally around the corner from the hotel (next to Fenway Park)

This hotel is immaculate and every time we walked into the lobby we commented on how much we loved the smell! From the doormen to the front desk to the restaurant workers and the maids, we have nothing but praise. This hotel made our local get-away weekend even better and we would not hesitate to return!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

2,550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My daughter became ill unexpectedly and we needed to find a good place for her to rest and recover. Their staff was wonderful and assisted us very well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

checkin and out was a breeze. Great restaurants right under the hotel. Room was very clean, spacious, comfortable bed, nicely decorated without being over the top. Terrible tiny ironing board. They put us in a handicap access room, perhaps why our bathroom was huge. quiet rooms; couldn't hear neighbors or any stret noise on a busy Saturday night. Would stay again.

Room Tip: view of Fenway isn't that great (mostely back of green monster and industrial facades) I'd g...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Nantucket, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My Stay was in in late August 2011 I needed a room as it was the big hurricane of 2011 and I was in Boston for my Crossfit Certification Trainer Course. I called the Commonwealth and they provided me with a junior suite. As I pulled up to the front door after a long day of training I was happy to have a valet park my car and a great Doorman named Frankie who was very welcoming and by Nick who was engaging and hilarious. I went to the front desk and checked in by a gentleman named Luke who was very professional and got me my room very fast and explained the hotel to me. I was very suprised by how large the room was when I entered. I felt as if I was at home if I had the money for the furnishing's but you get what I mean! The bathroom was great and what I liked most about it was the toilet had its own room!! The room overlooked boston and the bed was amamzing to say the least. I showered and ordered room service. The gentleman brought my food called me Mr. Davis and explained what I ordered asked if he could assist with anything else and left! Now that is customer service. I could go on forever about this place I wish I could have stayed all week but I had to get back to life. All in all a wonderful experience and on the way out Frankie remembered my name after only meeting me once and Nick gave me a good laugh as I went on my Way. Thank you Hotel Commonweath for a great stay!
All the Best,
Mac Davis

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I'm a local, but stayed in town for a work event. The staff was outstanding--friendly, efficient, energetic. The room was beautiful, location is perfect--accessible, close to the river, fun part of town. I felt like I was on vacation right here at home.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Commonwealth Ave have a beautiful view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Groton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My stay was a weekend overnight with my daughter who was meeting some friends at HOB for a show. The staff was friendly and very accommodating with everything. The location was perfect for us and we loved the view of Fenway! We had breakfast at Eastern Standard the next morning and that was great as well. I hope to get back there for a longer weekend stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed here one night for a scheduled meeting. The hotel is a beautiful place. The staff was especially willing to help and very pleasant to work with. The room was perfect with everything one could possibly need. I completely enjoyed my short stay but would gladly have spent a week there!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a very nice view of Fenway, you might consider asking about these.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Commonwealth? Share your experiences!