“Amazing student orchestra” 5 of 5 stars

Saint Louis, Missouri
17 attraction reviews
“Amazing student orchestra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We caught a concert by the NEC Philharmonia, the student orchestra of the conservatory. It was a pretty demanding program, including Heinz Werner Henze's "Symphony No. 8" and Respighi's "Pines of Rome," but these kids sounded almost as good a some professional orchestras I've heard. The sound of that final movement of the Respighi in Jordan Hall was just as powerful as it should be. These are clearly some very talented students. And the price was right: the concert was free (although you need to get there early, as seats are first-come, first-served).

Visited October 2013

Boston
26 attraction reviews
“A gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

One of the best smaller venues for performances, mostly classical , some jazz. Great acoustics . Since all the seats have I obstructed views, great for last minute decisions to see a show

Visited January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
32 attraction reviews
“Great acoustics”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a great venue to see chamber music or soloists perform. I've been to a few Celebrity Series events and the acoustics are wonderful. The seating layout is somewhat odd, and many of the seats in the balcony are somewhat slanted.

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
405 attraction reviews
“A wonderful setting for hearing musical performances”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I will put out my reason for withholding the final star in my appraisal of Jordan Hall. In every performance I have attended, I have had to sit in the balcony, and while the hall as a whole is well-designed to keep every seat close to the stage, I don't like the way the balcony is set out. The seats are not comfortable and I just never feel terribly secure up there that I am hearing the music as well as people downstairs must be.

My reservation aside, I have been there for concerts of the Boston Early Music Festival for almost 10 years, and have heard lots of amazing music there. This festival coming this June, I will not be going to Jordan Hall, but I'm sure I will be back for future festivals. And I am going to do my darnedest to get orchestra seats. Then maybe I will be ready to award the hall that fifth star.

Visited June 2012
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
37 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous concert hall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I attended a wonderful Boston Celebrity Series concert here, and I lingered afterward to admire the auditorium. NEC is the only music school in the United States designated as a National Historic Landmark. Jordan Hall was built in 1903 and renovated in 1995. They don't build 'em like this any more!

Visited February 2013