“Quick but Informative” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 213 Attractions in Boston
Type: Historic Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Printing Office of Edes & Gill, Boston’s only colonial era printing experience, will opened its doors to the public on April 15, 2011, We are open daily 11:30 to 5pmLocated along the Freedom Trail at the historic Clough House, which is owned by and conveniently located adjacent to Old North Church.With the opening of the colonial print shop on April 15, visitors will have the opportunity to engage living historians working their printers trade in pre-revolutionary Boston. These same printers were at the vanguard of citizen angst over British governmental policies that Bostonians felt violated their rights as Englishmen.We offer unique personal encounters with history and colonial printing. As Boston’s only colonial trade experience and only colonial living history interpretive experience, our historic equipment, live demonstrations, interpreters and historic settings enable new levels of understanding how colonial printing affected communities and sparked a revolution in America.We seek to recreate this experience for visitors and school groups to Boston’s Freedom Trail and to rekindle the spirit of Samuel Adams who urged fellow citizens to join this “animating contest of Liberty!”
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Quick but Informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I saw how highly rated the Printing Office of Edes & Gill was on Trip Advisor so I visited. It really doesn't disappoint.The man was really enthusiastic about printing and explained the process well. I was there later on in the day (maybe around 4pm) and there were no other visitors so I ended up having a nice conservation with him about why I was visiting Boston and about Scotland.

I thoroughly recommend visiting and as it's right beside Old North Church it's not even out of the way.

Chino Hills, California
“Quick stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

It's a good stop through Freedom Trail. It's short and informative. Right next to it is a Chocolate exhibit where they demonstrate how chocolate was made back in the day. Good place to stop and cool off.

Virginia
24 attraction reviews
“Maybe Gary was not here the day we went”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I specifically looked for this place near the Old North Church, and glad to find it since it was over 90 degrees and we had been walking in the heat for about 15 minutes. Based on the other reviews posted, I was disappointed since I did not hear an enthusiastic tour guide so I don't think it was Gary; just a "here's the facts" sort of guy (looked younger than what was posted on TA by others). I don't think the guy smiled the entire time, as we asked a few questions. Maybe it was the heat, the costume, who knows...next door, the lady explaining the chocolate process was much more inspiring to hear. We tasted chocolate sample (no milk so a bit bitter), smelled spices and crushed cocao beans. And who knew that the chocolate bean can be considered a fruit? I think the donation when you walk in, suggested $2 per person.

Macon, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
“Best thing we saw in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went to most of the standard historical exhibits and had read about the printer from these reviews. We almost missed it on the left side of the back entrance to the North Church. Not only do they demonstrate the printing process from the 1800 for newsletters and books, in the same facility is a demonstration of colonial chocolate making. The ladies in period costume demonstrated chocolate making from the cocoa pods to the nibs to the grinding with spices and even tasting. It was excellent. You can even buy especially made historical chocolate versions to take home. Very well done and not 'touristy' - very educational and interesting.

Standish, Maine
“Worth the Stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My friends and I were halfway through the Freedom Trail, exhausted, dehydrated, and burning up in the lovely New England humidity. I wanted to keep walking and skip over the Printing Office, in my pursuit to finish up the trail and get something cold to drink, but I am so glad that I was herded into the little shop and printing station. The historian was very knowledgeable and quite a delight to listen to and converse with. Definitely stop in for the printing demonstration if you get the chance!

Visited June 2013

Been to The Printing Office of Edes & Gill? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Printing Office of Edes & Gill, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

;