“Quick stop” 4 of 5 stars

21 Unity St, Boston, MA 02113
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 309 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: The Printing Office of Edes & Gill, Boston’s only colonial era printing experience, will opened its doors to the public on April 15, 2011, We are open daily 11:30 to 5pmLocated along the Freedom Trail at the historic Clough House, which is owned by and conveniently located adjacent to Old North Church.With the opening of the colonial print shop on April 15, visitors will have the opportunity to engage living historians working their printers trade in pre-revolutionary Boston. These same printers were at the vanguard of citizen angst over British governmental policies that Bostonians felt violated their rights as Englishmen.We offer unique personal encounters with history and colonial printing. As Boston’s only colonial trade experience and only colonial living history interpretive experience, our historic equipment, live demonstrations, interpreters and historic settings enable new levels of understanding how colonial printing affected communities and sparked a revolution in America.We seek to recreate this experience for visitors and school groups to Boston’s Freedom Trail and to rekindle the spirit of Samuel Adams who urged fellow citizens to join this “animating contest of Liberty!”
Chino Hills, California
“Quick stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

It's a good stop through Freedom Trail. It's short and informative. Right next to it is a Chocolate exhibit where they demonstrate how chocolate was made back in the day. Good place to stop and cool off.

35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 210 helpful votes
“Maybe Gary was not here the day we went”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I specifically looked for this place near the Old North Church, and glad to find it since it was over 90 degrees and we had been walking in the heat for about 15 minutes. Based on the other reviews posted, I was disappointed since I did not hear an enthusiastic tour guide so I don't think it was Gary; just a "here's the facts" sort of guy (looked younger than what was posted on TA by others). I don't think the guy smiled the entire time, as we asked a few questions. Maybe it was the heat, the costume, who knows...next door, the lady explaining the chocolate process was much more inspiring to hear. We tasted chocolate sample (no milk so a bit bitter), smelled spices and crushed cocao beans. And who knew that the chocolate bean can be considered a fruit? I think the donation when you walk in, suggested $2 per person.

Macon, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best thing we saw in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went to most of the standard historical exhibits and had read about the printer from these reviews. We almost missed it on the left side of the back entrance to the North Church. Not only do they demonstrate the printing process from the 1800 for newsletters and books, in the same facility is a demonstration of colonial chocolate making. The ladies in period costume demonstrated chocolate making from the cocoa pods to the nibs to the grinding with spices and even tasting. It was excellent. You can even buy especially made historical chocolate versions to take home. Very well done and not 'touristy' - very educational and interesting.

Standish, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the Stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My friends and I were halfway through the Freedom Trail, exhausted, dehydrated, and burning up in the lovely New England humidity. I wanted to keep walking and skip over the Printing Office, in my pursuit to finish up the trail and get something cold to drink, but I am so glad that I was herded into the little shop and printing station. The historian was very knowledgeable and quite a delight to listen to and converse with. Definitely stop in for the printing demonstration if you get the chance!

1 Thank Kathryn C
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Interesting and Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I can't add much to the other reviews but I wanted to chime in with another positive rating. We had an outstanding time, and got caught up with Gary's love for what he does.

Visited May 2013