“Gem of a hotel in Boston” 5 of 5 stars

Parking Package
Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Gem of a hotel in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first time in Boston and I was not disappointed. This hotel is part of the growing boutique hotel group Kimpton. As with the others I have stayed in it functions very efficiently without being sterile.
Check in was a breeze with my key in hand within seconds of my friendly arrival. Zip up to the 10th floor room 05 where I was assigned a corner room with windows - that open - on both sides. One side of the room looked into an office building but was not as harsh as I expected - the front looked out to the historical cemetery across the street where various famous people in US history are buried. The church tower chimed on the hour and was very pleasant.
The room was as with all Kimpton Hotels a work of modern - eclectic - comforting. Wireless is free when a Kimpton Reward Member - well priced mini bar with good quality snacks. No bathtub but a large walk shower and nice toiletries. Plenty of receptacles for power - good TV selection - really everything you want in a good quality room away from home.
The hotel does have a small restaurant that is open for Breakfast - an evening manager wine reception in the lobby - but the restaurant is currently closed for dinner as they decide on a revamp I was told. The room service menu however was spectacular and the chef knows what he/she is doing with food. Everything I ate at the hotel on this trip was truly top notch with complex flavors instead of plain old hotel food. There is an Irish Piub next door to the hotel if you want something more casual - Panera and Starbucks are less than a block away - so something for everyone. However - again - if you are able to eat in the hotel you MUST try room service until the restaurant reopens - it truly is some of the best I have ever had.
There is a decent work out area for those of you looking to let of some steam at the end of the day.

Room Tip: Rooms 10th Floor or above have better views and are quieter from street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was celebrating a Big Birthday with a long-time girlfriend, and we LOVED Nine Zero. It was quiet, the rooms were beautiful, and best of all, pets were FREE. I could bring my little dog, and he was allowed anywhere but the breakfast room. The staff was great to him, and to us. And we didn't smell anyone else's dog in the room. The housekeeper came in and cleaned and changed the linen, while Ruffie lay asleep in the chair. Perfect!! And, it was very well located right near Boston Common. And ... because I subscribed to the Kimpton Loyalty Program, I got a special discount for my birthday, even though we arrived a couple of days after my birthday month over. Thank you, Nine Zero.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

These reviews are all spot on.

# Pros:
- Excellent location for exploring Boston.
- Comfortable rooms.
- Dog friendly.
- Wine hour.
- Decent gym.

# Cons:
- No one told us where the free coffee was until check out, and it is not obvious.
- When we checked in and got into our room, one of the staff came into the room without knocking, opening the door with his key. We were very startled. He apologized. But it was strange, and we do not expect this from such a hotel. Unclear why he came into the room, there certainly needs to be better communication among all the staff as to who has checked in.

Overall, it is a nice hotel and a prime location. A few small set backs however, but could be overlooked.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I've stayed at the Nine Zero a couple of times now and for it is just perfect. First of all, the location is very central - next to Boston Commons, easy walking distance to either Financial District, North End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, lots of good restaurants and cafes nearby. Second, the Nine Zero succeeds where many other hotels fail, they get the small details right, like having a USB charging port next to the bed, windows that actually open, you can even email them a photo of your pet or family ahead of your stay and they'll frame it and put it in the room. Nice personal touch.

I've always found the hotel and room to be perfectly clean. I welcome the interior design that sets it a little bit apart from most other bland chains. The staff is always friendly, helpful, makes you feel welcome. Great bed/mattress and pillows, quiet rooms. I always feel relaxed and well-looked after.

The breakfast in the restaurant is good as well. They don't have a pool, but I never use/need them anyway.

As member of their loyalty program I get a $10 voucher for the minibar on check-in, another pleasant surprise.

I realize that it's not the cheapest hotel, but I wholeheartedly recommend it and they'll match cheaper rates if you find them at other booking sites online.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you like Boston Common as a location, this is the best you can get. Very clean and comfortable. Boutique hotel, so not unlimited amenities, but we thought it was perfect. Clean, super comfy, great service.

• Stayed March 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

All these great reviews make me wonder if I should even bother writing another one, but I had such a terrific experience, it’s a no-brainer for me. First off, the location is perfect; about as central as you can get to Boston’s many attractions. Nine Zero is no more than a five-minute walk from Boston Common, as well as from a couple of T lines.

When I walked in, I got the sense of a modern, stylish place without being over the top. Part of their formula is to hit the senses... there is cool music playing in the lobby, the design aesthetic is sleek, and there’s even a fragrance that wafts about at the entrance, Vegas-style. The front desk staff members were very friendly and efficient.

I reserved the least expensive room, and it was great. Plenty of room, a nice view, and all the things I want during my stay: a great rain shower, a comfortable bed, a number of outlets, a docking station for iTunes, free wireless for Kimpton members and an in-room safe. The only minor quibbles I have are that I got water all over the place after using the walk-in shower -- which I otherwise loved -- because there was a bit of a gap between the doors. Also, I’m not crazy about the furry bed throw that seems to be a Kimpton trademark. Any item of bedding that cannot be regularly laundered is something that I handle gingerly.

I’ve never had a bad time at a Kimpton hotel, but I don’t stay with them as often as I’d like, because their price point is usually one tier above what I usually pay. Not at Nine Zero, though... I got a steal of a deal that totaled, with tax, etc., less than $200. Such an amazing value.

If you're driving and can stand a bit of a walk, I recommend parking in the Boston Common garage. It's only $24-28 per night, as opposed to the $42 the hotel charges.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very nice, clean, friendly staff. Parking was difficult because you have to go down a small alley way to get to the valet and when the sun its shining on Tremont street it its hard to see. The hotel has a wonderful wine reception in the lobby we did not attend but there were many people taking part. The breakfast was awful my boyfriend had toast you couldn't even break with your hands let alone with your mouth. It took twenty minutes to get a glass of oj and when you got that it was full of pulp. The room was excellent and had a great mini bar with lots of choices. We did forget some things in the closet and when we called later that day they were helpful in looking but didn't find our belongings. Otherwise we had a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Nine Zero Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!