“Great design, shame about the staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mougins, France
“Great design, shame about the staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in february, very comfortable beds, interesting design touches, it is just a shame that all the staff i came into contact with, cared more about themselves than their guests.

Mr kimpton needs to spend more on training and less on design !

• Stayed February 2012
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Nine Zero Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Dear marksilver94,

Thank you for staying with us. I am truly sorry (and shocked) to hear how our staff came across in your interactions with them. Certainly all of our training centers around making Nine Zero, and Kimpton Hotels, as warm, genuine, and inviting as possible. I assure you that all who work here carry Bill Kimpton's spirit with them into every guest encounter and those who cannot do not make it through the back door. I would love to speak with you about how we failed to convey this passion. If you would care to discuss this further, please call me directly at 617-772-5848.

In service,

Mark Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

The Kimpton Hotels have nearly always exceeded my expectations. The Nine Zero has stunning views of the Boston Common and State House (higher floors). As in in-touch member, we were given an upgraded room at little cost. The restaurant on-site is intimate, chic, and has food one would want to eat in a regular/non-hotel restaurant.

The pugs were given beds and treats every time they went in and out.

The rooms are clean with great decor. The bathrooms are nicely appointed.

The location for getting around Boston by foot cannot be beaten. The Beacon Hill area is a simple walk across the Common. Downtown and Copley area shopping are nearby. Movies, restaurants, and theatres are plentiful.

Room Tip: Sign up for upgrade for the views and quieter floors.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Nine Zero Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear NorthamptonSyd,

Thank you for staying with us back in December and for taking the time to provide us with the great feedback! A comfortable place to lie down and treats at every turn. Is there a quicker way to a pug's heart?

Can't wait to see you (and them) again.

Best,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I live in Boston and had a free night at Kimpton that was about to expire. This hotel had more to offer than some of the others in Boston so I booked it. The hotel is conveniently located between many T stops (State, Park, and Downtown Crossing). Boston Common is two blocks away and Samuel Adams' grave is across the street. You also have a lot of great bars and restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel is very clean and modern. The bed was also very comfortable. Now the downside... There aren't a lot of rooms on each floor which makes requesting a room away from the elevator almost impossible. I was able to hear the elevator dinging whenever I was in the room. Kimpton is also a pet friendly hotel. I've never had a problem with this before, but this time there were a few dogs on my floor and was able to hear them barking. Granted this will not always be the case, but I would recommend trying to get a room not on the same floors as people with animals.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Nine Zero Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Dear Levi22,

Thank you for choosing us for your Staycation...at the very least it's a great opportunity to have someone clean up behind you.

Sorry to hear about the elevators - getting away from them only seems improbably with 12 rooms per floor, but I promise you it is very possible. And we do love our four-legged guests but of course realize that their enthusiasm to be here can some times dampen yours. So we have specific pet-free floors (half of the hotel in fact) that you can request while making your reservation or at check-in.

Hopefully we see you again soon (or at least your family from out of town)!

Take care,

Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during the week. We arrived early but the woman at the front desk was VERY helpful and had a room ready for us. She also suggested we talk to the concierge about our dinner plans during our stay. He was also VERY helpful.
The room was great. It was a nice size, extremely clean and decorated nicely. We were in a King Premiere room on the 5th floor. Not much of a view but that happens when you are in the city.
All the staff at the hotel were great. The wine hour is a nice touch. My only negative was that I stopped in to the restaurant bar during "Happy Hour", I asked for a glass of wine, the bartender while polite, seemed to be more interested in talking to the waiters then taking care of the patrons.
Overall though this was a great stay.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of Boston, pay a little more for a King premier View room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Nine Zero Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear BD_FDNY,

Thank you to you and your wife for staying with us this past week. I'm glad you were able to get in early and start your trip right away. Yes check-in time is 3pm - but if we have your room type available we will do our best to get you in there right away. Sorry to hear your "Happy Hour" was not as happy as we would like it to be. I am confident they will be polite AND attentive next time!

Can't wait to see you again!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed here for a Business trip and it is hard to find anything negative to say. Staff is super friendly --people actually smile at you when you walk in the door here. My room was a decent size, and decorated in what I would call modern elegance. Location is in the heart of Boston, a stone's throw away from the Boston Common and the red and green T (local train) lines.

Their restaurant, KO Prime, was top notch as well. Great vibe when I was there --and really tasty food. It also works well for business travelers who want a solo dinner at the bar.

Definitely a recommend if you are coming to boston and like the experience of a good boutique hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear fleurdsoleil,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Boston. Sorry it had to be for business - next time leisure! I love the term modern elegance. May I steal that?

Thanks for the feedback and we hope to see you again!

Safe travels,

West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Very clean. Awesome services. Everyone was extremely nice. Andy was very helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floors with better views.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Nine Zero Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear CheerDenise0026,

I have a strict rule that responses cannot be longer than reviews - so...thank you very much for all the kind words. Hope to see you again soon!

Safe Travels,

Laconia, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

The Nine Zero hotel in Boston is as close to perfect as you can get in downtown Boston. My boyfriend and I stayed at the Nine Zero this past weekend for an early Valentine's weekend. We were welcomed with friendly smiles and a willingness to help with anything we needed. I am a Kimpton InTouch member and have stayed at all of the Kimpton hotels (Marlowe, Nine Zero, and Onyx) in Massachusetts. I can honestly say that all of the Kimpton hotels are great. Nine Zero has spared no expense to make their hotel one of the best in Boston. Check-in is easy and quick. They have a great location, restaurant and decor. Our room was roomy and comfortable. The beds are great too, very comfortable!!The hospitality they provide is top notch! I only stay at Kimpton hotels when I visit Boston/Cambridge and that is because of the wonderful service and accomodations they provide.

Room Tip: Always go for a higher floor when available. You get a great view of the city!!
Dear Crystal C,

Thank you for staying with us this past weekend. It seems we are as in love with our loyal Kimptonians as it seems you are with us. If only I had some chalky candy hearts to hand out to all of you! All 3 of us (Nine Zero, Marlowe, Onyx) are eager to see you again next time you are in town.

Warm Regards,

Mark

Been to Nine Zero Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!