“Great Location!!!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   655 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02116 (Back Bay)   |
Ranked #38 of 77 Hotels in Boston
“Great Location!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed in Charlesmark for 3 nights! As we are 2 college students we wanted something cheap and cheerful!! The Charlesmark was brilliant!! Had great location as you could walk or take the T anywhere in Boston!! Staff were friendly and helpful! Breakfast was included although it was small and basic it kept you going until lunch!! I would definitely stay here again!! :)

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
North Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at the Charlesmark over the July fourth weekend. It’s a fairly average hotel with some location conveniences and definitely less expensive than some other hotels in the area. We would consider staying here again.
Pros:
Very clean room
Less expensive than neighboring hotels that were available
Free wifi
Back Bay area location
Very close to transit station and Back Bay Express bus stop
Two of the front desk staff were very helpful directing us to locations of interest
Small but friendly bar
Walking distance to Fenway
Cons:
We could plainly hear noise from neighboring rooms and especially from above. This includes the maids vacuuming which started about 8am
Very small room
No king size beds available (probably due to the small rooms)
One of the front desk staff lacked any ability in directing us to locations of interest

Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I was looking for a nice hotel within walking distance to most of the standard sites in Boston for the days leading up to July 4th with a budget of around $200/nite. No mean feat, especially when you've waited to less than a month before to book. I enjoy functional, contemporary design, and this hotel has it in spades. We were in the smallest room style they offer, and although we did have to keep things picked up in order to maintain functionality, we never felt cramped. Rooms were very clean, the funky hallways didn't bother me (and we were carrying two weeks worth of luggage), and, as the other reviews have explained, the location was awesome. The service was very good, providing restaurant recommendations we really enjoyed, and not batting an eye when we came in after the fireworks absolutely sopping wet. (The front desk immediately offering to bring up extra towels to our room.) I didn't feel the elevator speed was a problem (I took a guess that there really couldn't be more than about 40 rooms in the place), and yes, breakfast wasn't anything fancy, but as it was only advertised as continental, I wasn't expecting much. The TV sound being hooked into the stereo was odd, but just turn off the stereo and you can listen to the TV with normal sound. The only thing I felt could be done much better is getting rid of the bar and enlarging the main entrance/check-in area - it seemed we were always having to dodge others when entering/exiting the hotel, but, all in all, this was a very minor negative. If you're looking for the standard, US chain type hotel, this may not be for you, but if you're looking for character and style at a good price, consider the Charlesmark.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Charlesmark in June. The first night we were there the smoke detector started chirping in the middle of the night likely a low battery. Needless to say we were up all night. When we discussed this with the desk attendant and her with the manager we didn't receive as much as an I'm sorry. They said there's nothing they could do.

I will tell you that friends of ours stayed at the Seaport and had a similar issue and not only did management make a pointy of apologizing for the problem, they didn't charge them for the room the night of the incident, they were relocated to a suite at no additional charge and candies were provided the following night . I wasn't looking for any of this although a discount of some kind would have been appropriate.

In this particular case, an I'm sorry would have gone a long way.It's obvious to me that this hotel doesn't care about their patrons only the bottom line and for this reason I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. For the record, this is the only time I've ever complained on line about the service or lack there of I've received

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
São Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Hotel location is excellent.. close to Prudential Center, Metro and Train Stations, and at walking distance to Boston Common !!! Rooms are confortable, staff is helpful, and they provide free internet access thru wi-fi or local computers... All very good, except that the Breakfast is very poor.. hard to understand why... and the hotel price is really expensive..

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed at the Charlesmark Hotel in Boston last week. Excellent location, right beside the subway and staff were friendly and helpful. We were pretty satisfied with our stay until this morning when we had to check out at 4:30 am to catch a 6:40 am flight. There was no staff at the front desk but a sign that says the staff will be back shortly. No phone number was posted to reach this staff in case of emergency, and no phone number listed anywhere for ordering a taxi. We had requested the staff the day before to order a taxi for us and were told they do not take order one day ahead, plus there would be taxis around so all we need to do was to call down 10 minutes early and the staff would hail one for us. Instead of calling the staff, we decided to check out 10 minutes early to hail the taxi ourselves. When we went out to the street, the street was empty and there was no taxi in sight! We were not the only one affected. There were a mother and daughter also waiting for their taxi (they were also catching the same flight). As there was no staff around, no taxi in sight and it was getting late, we were all in a panic mode. Suddenly I remembered seeing some phone numbers in the information book inside the room. I quickly ran back to the room and looked up the taxi company phone number but I couldn't find one! Finally I looked at the phone and found one of the button was labeled "taxi". I pressed the button and ordered two taxis and told them to rush. It took just a few minutes for the first one to show up. The driver was kind enough to take the four of us so we would not be late for the flight. I just left the keys on the front desk in a hurry and hopped onto the taxi. I had traveled many times and never experienced anything like this. What happened this morning had caused a lot of stress and anxiety for us. It was ridiculous, irresponsible and totally unacceptable. Staff should never leave the front desk unattended. Even they had to, they should leave a number for guests to reach them. If it wasn't for my quick wit we would have missed our flight. I hope staff will keep up their service standards not just during the day but also during the night when they think nobody would need them but bear in mind people do have early flights to catch.

Room Tip: Try not to stay in the basement or first floor
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I really liked staying at this hotel for July 4th. it was just a few blocks from the esplanade where they have the Boston Pops and fireworks. We didn't do the Pops concert but just wondered down there right before the fireworks and stood on the street. Amazing! We paid a little extra and got the queen bed with a couch. I thought the room was fine and I loved the stereo system and the stone tile bathroom. Comfortable bed with soft linens was a plus. We had wonderful cocktails downstairs at the Martini bar. It's a great location. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay more and get the larger room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Charlesmark Hotel? Share your experiences!