“nice independent in downtown boston” 4 of 5 stars

Charlesmark Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   655 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02116 (Back Bay)   |
Ranked #38 of 77 Hotels in Boston
seattle
“nice independent in downtown boston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I'm developing a love affair with independent hotels. This is a small, independent property in the Back Bay area only a block away from the convention center hotels charging a heck of a lot more. We arrived way early but they had a room available and checked us in at 11:00 AM! Rooms are smallish but this is a big city, so what else is new? They must use a hiring profile that emphasizes youth and enthusiasm because everyone we encountered from check in to check out was young, positive, competent and engaged.

Room Tip: the street rooms look out on the Boston Marathon finish line!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Grass Valley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel was near the Hynes convention center, and everything else worth visiting. From the moment I was greeted (special KUDOS to Tim) through to every need I had, this was a first class hotel at economy prices (economy for that location, that is). The room was small but so well-appointed and configured, that it felt large enough. It had a definite European feel to it. The bed was comfortable. The amenities were great, esp the sound system and bottled water. Breakfast was ordinary, but they tell you that up front in their description on the website. Also, they warn you about street noise, so I brought ear plugs. I will never bother looking for another hotel in Boston.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in room 503. We had a queen bed, loveseat sleeper sofa, a desk area (no chair). We felt the room was very comfortable for the two of us, had our teenage son on a couple of nights and then that felt a little cramped. Truth is, we don't spend a lot of time in the room, so not a huge impact. Our room was more the mid-size type (not the smallest or largest.......just like Goldilocks!). There is no door man, no pool, no workout facility. There are 2 computers and a printer for guest use.
Breakfast was simple: coffee, orange juice, donuts, bagels, fresh fruit, and instant oatmeal.
We did not have a car and used mass transit. It was a surprisingly easy ride on the T from Logan airport. We arrived late into the city and the cab line was so long we figured we would use the train as the wait time seemed to be longer than the train ride. Easy! We arrived at the hotel in about 25 minutes (Copley Station).
The location of the hotel is really great. I had friends recommend the hotel but when I read reviews of the small rooms, I didn't want to even try staying here. The price made it seem like a "too good to be true" type thing. I tried making a reservation at other hotels and the $4-500 rates were painful! I figured I would give this a try and am glad I did.
The bar area was lively hosting a birthday party one night. Personable bartenders with great recommendations for area restaurants, etc. The front desk staff always friendly and helpful.
My only negative is that we had noisy neighbors and the room and hall noises could be intrusive. For example, I could hear the rumble of the vacuum cleaner in the room above. On a positive note, no street noise--but we didn't have a view of it either. Our room was right across from the elevator.
I would stay again, book earlier, and explore options. At the time we booked, not many available.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I first stayed here when the hotel originally opened and only just returned after years. This return would have been sooner, but others have obviously found this little treasure as it is frequently booked solid.

The rooms are designed with a modern style and have comfortable beds. The negatives? The closet space is not designed for women's business dresses, but luckily the hotel was accommodating and provided me with extra hanger and I just hung them up on the coat hooks. The wifi is pretty good speed, so no complaints there. I did wish that they had a small table that I could use to place my coffee on or my computer to work on. But, I survived without it, so it wasn't a big deal.

The one thing I will rave about is the service. The personnel is very nice and very helpful - I really can't say enough at the quality of service at this hotel. The location is great and overall, a wonderful place to stay in Boston!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great room with the added bonus of a couch. Great location, staff friendly and full of helpful hints on how to get around. Breakfast was of bagels / oatmeal and coffee was basic, but hit the spot. Good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JRo70
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Charlesmark Hotel is in a prime location in Boston's Back Bay, in the heart of a fancy shopping district. I came prepared for the small rooms, and they were small. Mine didn't even have a desk, and the bed took up most of the space. But the quality of the furnishings and the room's design was excellent. The staff was very helpful and friendly; for instance, they checked me in rather early. I wouldn't come to the hotel for the breakfasts; they were below average: bad bagels, bad donuts, etc. Better to just go to one of the restaurants nearby (I wasn't a big fan of the Thai restaurant next door, fwiw). But if you're looking for a hotel in Back Bay, I'd seriously consider The Charlesmark.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
East Haddam, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Centrally located, comfortable bed, good pillows, soft sheets, great shower. Very accommodating staff, good vibe, and a nice value for a city stay. Basic coffee and bagels for breakfast, simply done, but good.

Room Tip: Great views of the Boston Public Library out of the front rooms probably worth the road noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Charlesmark Hotel? Share your experiences!