“Clean rooms, good location,good breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   891 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA 02118 (Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #64 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Laval, Canada
“Clean rooms, good location,good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Loved having a living room. Good shuttle service to popular sites but very busy. Hotel is in an industrial location, a little far on foot for restaurants and shopping. Not great for walking late at night. The outside appearance of the hotel is interesting, the parking is free and not far. The rooms are an adequate size for a large city. Good breakfast and good staff in the breakfast room. Desk staff helpful with our questions.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

John W, AGM at BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Hello Richard,

Thank you for your review! I appreciate you taking time out of your day to pass the word along about our hotel. Do keep in touch - we will be renovating at years end and 2015 will be a facelift year for us!

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Amherst
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Overall, this was a great hotel, I wish it was closer to more attractions in Boston, but the breakfast was very good, the staff were so nice, and the room was clean. The hotel staff was very friendly always offering a helping hand in terms of finding a cab, food, destinations. I would recommend this location to anyone who doesn't mind being a little farther away from the Boston Attractions.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

John W, AGM at BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your review! I appreciate you taking time out of your day to spread the word about your experience here at our hotel. We will be renovating at the end of the year so stay in touch and come see the new look we'll have in 2015!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We chose this hotel because we were in Boston for a full day and wanted to be somewhere that is not too central in order to be able to leave fast the next day.
The location for us was excellent.
Staff was very helpful and friendly.
We loved the idea of the shuttle. Very helpful for visitors who do not know the city too well.
The room was big and comfortable. We reserved a mini suite and it was on the 5th floor(504). We did have some noise coming from the street at night. Also due to some technical problems we were not able to use the safe.
Breakfast was fine as well. Pleasantly surprised by the variety and great staff servong it. They are wonderful
All together we recommend the hotel. It is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014
John W, AGM at BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hi Traveler,

Thank you for your response! I am glad to see we were able to accommodate your needs and apologize for the trouble you had with your safe - we will be installing brand new safes in the next few weeks to help add to the experience. We'll be renovating at the end of year - be sure to keep in touch so we can invite you back!

Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I saw that this hotel had fairly good reviews, so I was expecting a pleasant experience. I was surprisingly disappointed. It wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed at, but I certainly wouldn't recommend staying there.

PROS:

The rooms are nice. They have a love seat and a couch to go along with the beds. They also have a mini-fridge and an additional kitchen sink.

The hotel also provides a free shuttle service within a 2 mile radius. We were going to the Sox game, and this brought us just about to the park.

The hotel also provided free wifi.

CONS:

My biggest complaint was the Air Conditioning. It simply did not work. We were staying there in the middle of a heat wave (about 90 degrees that day), and despite having the AC turned way down, the room temperature stayed at around 77-80 degrees the whole time we were there. We were drenched in sweat the entire night.

The front desk lady was a bit short with us. We had a couple questions and she seemed to get short with us.

The area isn't the greatest. There were some seedy people around the hotel at all hours.

It is VERY noisy outside the hotel. There were sirens and horns going off all night. I realize it is a city and that is to be expected, but there was an exorbitant amount of loud sirens in this area.

The room security safe was supposed to be left open in order to set a personal passcode to use it, but it was already closed and locked when we arrived. Therefore, we couldn't secure our valuables when we left our room.

OVERALL: I am sure there are worse places to stay at, but I expected a lot more from this place. If there was properly working air conditioning I probably wouldn't have minded any of the other small concerns, but it's inexcusable to have your hotel guests uncomfortable because your AC is not working or turned off.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
John W, AGM at BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Hi Traveler,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to review both the positive and negative aspects of your stay here. We have taken the appropriate measures to fix the AC to provide maximum comfort for our guests while you are here. We will be renovating at the end of the year and the items that you mentioned that are under our control will be fixed and we'd like to invite you back to take in the fresh face our hotel will have!

Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We choose this hotel due to it's proximity to driving out of town as we were hiring a car to do a trip up Cape Cod,

Best Western has been around for years and deliver what they say - the beds were fine, the staff really friendly and helpful. However the road noise was an issue with one member of our party but she did have the bed nearest the window.

It suited our purpose as a stop over (we left for a couple of days and then return for another two nighs). The shuttle running into town was good, usually on time and the drivers very helpful

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
John W, AGM at BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Hi Mariposa,

Thank you for your review! I'm glad we were able to serve as a stop over for you and I hope our hot breakfast in the morning had you set right for your trip to the cape! We will be renovating at the end of the year and we will be addressing the issue you mentioned so please check back in in the new year!

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I booked this hotel 6 months ago, and had done a lot of research on it. I read some mixed reviews on this hotel, and I was slightly concerned prior to arrival. There were 4 of us travelling, and needed 3 beds. It's a rare find to get something to accommodate that many people in different beds. I was happy to find a suite with 2 double beds and a pull out. The room also had a microwave, fridge and one feature we really appreciated...The bathroom sink was located outside of the bathroom - a great feature when 4 people are trying to get ready. The fact that parking, wi-fi and breakfast were all included at a very reasonable rate was a bonus. The rooms were clean and semi updated. Yes, some of the fixtures and furnishings were a bit outdated, but who cares? We weren't there to spend time lounging in a resort, we were there to take in a couple concerts and explore the city. As long as the room was spacious enough to accommodate us and it is clean, that's all that matters. I have stayed in this (expensive) city before, in an updated, modern hotel, and paid a much higher rate than at the Roundhouse. The only issue we experienced with the room was the a/c not working. On our third night, we returned around 1 a.m. and the room seemed warm. We set the temperature to where we wanted it and went to bed, thinking the a/c would kick in. I woke up around 4, and the room was very hot. When we got up around 7, it was still blowing warm air. Then, 15 minutes later, it started working. We told Jennifer at the front desk when we were heading out, and she apologized and told us what had happened. It worked fine for the duration of our stay.

The area is slightly south of downtown (we were able to walk to the center of downtown in less than 20 minutes), and is a bit industrial and multi cultural, but never once did we experience any issues with the area. In fact, we enjoyed it quite a bit. We were able to take in a lot of the local culture on our walks at different food establishments and shops. We did take advantage of their complimentary shuttle service once, and it was great. The hotel is located off I93, which made it very easy to get to, and from.

The staff were great. John was working the desk when we checked in, and was very helpful. He provided a lot of information on the hotels services - everything we needed to enjoy our stay. Jennifer was...amazing. She was so friendly and knowledgeable. She was always smiling and chatting with us. She helped us plan a few last minute day trips and suggested some really awesome places to explore. Her help was invaluable. The only front desk staff member who was less than enthusiastic was a young woman who worked evenings (Thelma?). She didn't really seem to care about her job much, and didn't make any attempt to make a connection with us. And her local area knowledge was less than stellar. But she was the only one we encountered. The room attendants always greeted us in the hallways and made small talk. The breakfast attendants went above and beyond to make sure you enjoyed your meal (and the food was phenomenal. For a free breakfast, it was hot, tasty and had lots of options.

All in all, the Best Western Plus Roundhouse Suites is a gem. In a city full of overpriced, under appointed hotels, this is a real winner. It offers a great deal of value at a more than reasonable price point. We live about a 13 hour drive from Boston, so chances are, we will be returning. And when we do, this will be my first choice for lodging.

Room Tip: Other reviewers noted that there is a lot of noise from the area. We were on the 5th floor (room 501...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hi David,

Thanks for making my morning! It was a pleasure to check you and your family in and I cannot wait to share your review with the rest of my staff. The hotel is undergoing renovation at the end of the year - keep in touch so we can invite you back!

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am a Best Western Gold Elite member. I have stayed in numerous best Western hotels from the Northeast to the Midwest to the South. This was the most expensive Best Western I have ever stayed in and yet I had the worst experience of any of them. I arrived around 9 pm on a Wednesday night. The parking lot size is very small. It is also behind the hotel in a lot next to a gas station. It is not possible to get into the hotel with out walking around a fence and around the back of this circular hotel to get in the front, or walk down a side street or through a gas station. There is only one entrance at the front. My teenage daughter and I did not feel safe having to do this. You should at least have a back door with key card access. The front door is right at the street edge.

When I checked in and went to my room on the 6th floor we noticed how hot it was. When I got into my room the thermostat read 84 degrees. I lowered it and after over an hour waiting for the room to cool and drenched in sweat, the temperature was actually higher. I called the front desk and they sent someone up to fix it. Then I noticed the mini-fridge wasn't working either. Not cold at all. I went to get ice and there was no where that I saw on my floor to get it so I had to go all the way back down to the lobby to use the ice machine. Although my room was now cooling, it was still sweltering in the elevators and hallways. I took a look at the thermostat in the hallway on my floor and it read almost 90 degrees.

I spoke to the person at the front desk (7/2/14 around 10:30 pm) and she said that the repairman leaves at 11 pm so it would probably not be fixed until tomorrow. She said the AC went out that day and they didn't get anyone out there until 5:30 pm and that we "were lucky to have it at all." I don't consider myself "lucky" to have AC when I am a paying guest at a hotel especially when paying over $200 a night avg. That is unacceptable.Your guests should not be in their rooms sweating. All of your guests staying with you during this time should have been credited due to these conditions. The AC issue wasn't even acknowledged at check in, as if we weren't going to notice.

I was given information about a shuttle. I was told I had to call in advance, wait anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour, and that it would only take us within a 2 mile radius. Considering how far out of the way this hotel is from everything, 2 miles doesn't get you anywhere. When I called to make shuttle arrangements one morning, I was told I had to go to some station and that the shuttle did not pick up directly from the hotel. So..I'm supposed to walk to a station to get on a shuttle to take me to a subway station I guess so I can ride the subway to where I need to go. And then do that in reverse when I need to get back?I witnessed multiple occasions of a Best Western van dropping people off at the front door so I find that very confusing.

I quickly learned how inconvenient and out of the way it is from any sights you may want to see. Nothing is within walking distance and driving in this city is a complete nightmare. I wasted a lot of time in traffic and money on parking trying to get around this city. The view out of my room was a Hertz rental car lot and a lot full of construction equipment. There is literally no place adjacent to this hotel where you can grab a bite or relax. The hotel does not have a pool, which would have been really nice to cool off in after walking around Boston in the summer heat all day.

This is not a hotel I would stay in again, nor would I recommend it to friends or family visiting the area.

The only beacon of light at this hotel was your service staff at breakfast every morning, Annie and Theo. They were so attentive and helpful to us and your other guests. Theo is a very polite, humble man. Annie was circulating the room offering the guests muffins and beverages. It was more like being at a restaurant than a continental breakfast. The hotel does offer free parking and free wifi. The beds and pillows are very comfortable as always.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Traveler,

I apologize for the issues that occurred while you were here. Rest assured I have shared your concerns with the appropriate department head and we are working on rectifying the problem. If you would like to discuss the details of your stay further I would be happy to do so. You can reach me at 617-989-1000 ext 702.

AGM

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Roundhouse Suites? Share your experiences!